Teaching your own children

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I taught my son to black belt at home while I wasn't teaching anyone else...but he and I went to the annual weekend camp each year where my instructor (the head of the system) saw him.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I taught both of my sons in the junior class for a couple of years and I now teach my oldest son in the adult class. It can be a pain in the butt, because, after all, no one can irritate you like your own kids or your own parents. However, it has been a very positive experience for all of us, overall.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone taught by their children? I go to my daughter's conditioning class and she beasts me!

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our 'father/daughter time' is any time she's able to come to class with me. My son is too young to sit still, but my daughter (5) wants to join in the worst way. Age limit is 7 though. I haven't tried teaching at home yet. I have 3 other black belts for her to work with, but when she starts, she has to deal with her father AND her grandfather on the panel of every test.

Sadly, now that she's in school, my wife hardly ever lets her come to class. "It's a school night, she needs to be in bed by 8". Once she hits 7, wife is just going to have to deal with it, we won't be home til 9.

Also, congrats on the baby. Welcome to the most rewarding/difficult thing you will ever do. Your black belt was cake next to this.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious. My wife just gave birth to our first child two weeks ago, so I've got a few years before I have to worry about it, but do any of you teach your own kids? If so, why? If not, why not?

I do. I think it is excellent bonding time with your own child and shows him/her/them that you want to invest your time in/with them. I'd like to see more of this regardless of the venue i.e. martial arts, fishing, basketball etc.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I taught my daughter "pole hanging" when she was young.

She had turned herself into 2011 US "pole dance" champion. :uhyeah:

http://natashawang.com/

Wow!! That was pretty intense to watch. The way you use the pole hang to enhance your judo was really good. And if that is really your daughter she is off the hook with strength. Good post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was originally taught by my dad. As a 7 year old I didn't take it very seriously; it was just this thing my dad made me do. I was a major brat and probably made things much harder for him than every other student. Still if not for him, I wouldn't be training today. I think informal training classes for one's own kids are best. I will train my kids in the future, but I will never be their "sensei" that job will be left to my teacher whom I will dump my future spawn onto once they are old enough for it.

I just think it is too hard to seperate the teacher from the parent.

Latest Discussions