So, Any Resources to Learn How to Teach to Children?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never taught children before. Never wanted to, frankly. But now I am a co-head of a church TKD program and we accept children as early as age 8.

I am fine running the warm ups in a drill sergeant fashion - the kids and adults are responding well to that for now. But I feel out of my depth when it's time to teach technique. I know I am not connecting with some the kids by their inability to make eye contact with me and by their obvious uncertainty, even if I've just demonstrated something 2 or 3 times right in front of them.

Any tips and resources you can point out to help me would be appreciated. I have a young son that I plan to teach myself when he gets old enough, so obviously I need to get my act together before then.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Teaching kids is very hands on. I wouldn't want to teach a class of adults and kids at the same time; my methods are too different.

When demonstrating for kids, I find it most helpful to face them and be a mirror (dunno if you're already doing this), then turn my back and demonstrate again, so they can see what it looks like again. I do many, many reps of a technique as a mirror for the lower belts. Once they get up to orange or so, they can usually grasp the movement much quicker. It's often necessary to actually put your hands on the kids and move them into the correct position or show them how to move an arm or leg, rather than just show them the technique. They have to feel what they need to do.

If they aren't making eye contact, they may be intimidated by you. I try to use a little bit of humor to engage them, and give them a LOT of enouragement. Smile when they are doing well, or just trying hard. Get down on their level when you can--it makes you less scary. Letting them kick you in the stomach or head also helps. Positive reinforcement and stated, consistent consequences for bad behavior are very important.

You also have to remember that different kids develop at different rates. Some 8 year olds are simply not capable of coordinating certain movements. Others may be very athletic and quick to learn. The main thing to stress is repetition. It's just like training a puppy. You have to make the same corrections over and over (seems like 2000 times, sometimes) before they stick. If you can do that without getting frustrated and angry, you can teach kids.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I first started teaching, I only wanted to teach adults, so naturally my instructor put me in charge of a YWCA kids program. At first I hated it but then I stopped treating the kids as miniature adults. I like the energy and enthusiasm kids can bring to the class.

As far as resources, I don't know of any, but my suggestion is to do a lot of "disguised" repetitions. By this I mean, you can do a punch against the air, then a hand target, then someone wearing a hogu (or not), etc. You don't change the technique, just the target, or the manner in which the technique is performed.

I also suggest keeping things moving and giving information in short segments. Kid will have the attention span of about 4 minutes but if you keep them moving and guessing, you will get a good result because they don't care how hard they are working as long as they are having a good time. I've had kids tell me the best part of classes are the pushups....

Final bit of advice is to enjoy yourself-the kids will love that you are making eye contact and smiling and demonstrating proper technique. They will try to imitate you and that means you may hook one long enough to make them a martial artist for life.

Good luck!

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I teach kids almost exclusively. I know of no good book son the subject in the MA field...btu I bet there are some good ones geared toward phys ed teachers. Hell, some of the tips I learned as a music teacher help (teaching piano is a physical in a way as TKD).

here are some simple basic tips that I use to get you going though.

1. KISS -- keep it simple. Especially with young kids..Break complex things down into little steps.

2. use Whole-part-whole teaching. That means, show them the whole technique (simplified if possible) and have them try it. Then use your broken down stuff from point1 and work through the steps. Then go back to the whole.

3. Tell them what you want them to do. concretely. rather than say something like "I want you to do a roundhouse kick with a proper chamber and hit the body." tell the child (put the top of your foot (tap the top of his foot for emphasis) and put it here (tap the target)"

4. STAY POSITIVE! I can't stress this enough. Every teaching text, every behavior principle I've ever learned, every iota of research points to the fact that people (especially younger kids) respond best to positive reenforcement. I do not mean always being happy..I mean that something happens after a behavior that increases the chance of seei ng that behavior.

I like to use praise (It's free, it's abundant. it don't cost nuthin'). the standard ratio of praise to correction is said to be 4:1. that is four praise statements to one corrective statements. I shoot for it ...don't often get it....but I try to be more positive than corrective.

5. Good enough is all right. A 5 year old beginner just can't do things as nicely as a 12 year old beginner. beginners can't do things as well as more advanced students. keep age and experience in mind when evaluating mastery. Mastery for that 5 year old beginner is going to be VERY sloppy by most standards. With proper shaping of behaviors, that'll clean up nicely over time as the child ages and gains experience.

6. Keep lessons short but with more frequent repetition. Most kids have very short attention spans. They can't work on a technique for an hour. Hit something for 10-15 minutes (if that) and then move on to the next thing. The overall class might eve n need to be shorter as well. One trick I like to use is if a class is really struggling with smething..after that 10-15 minute mark, leave it. do some other stuff, then hit the first thing again at the last 5 minutes of class. Worse comes to worse, hit that lesson again the next week,

This is just off the top of my head...I'm sure others have advice or even better advice. Hope this helps. :)

Peace,
Erik

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never taught children before. Never wanted to, frankly. But now I am a co-head of a church TKD program and we accept children as early as age 8.

I am fine running the warm ups in a drill sergeant fashion - the kids and adults are responding well to that for now. But I feel out of my depth when it's time to teach technique. I know I am not connecting with some the kids by their inability to make eye contact with me and by their obvious uncertainty, even if I've just demonstrated something 2 or 3 times right in front of them.

Any tips and resources you can point out to help me would be appreciated. I have a young son that I plan to teach myself when he gets old enough, so obviously I need to get my act together before then.

The most important thing, IMO, is keep their attention. Once you lose it, it can be very difficult to get back. Kids, young and old, need to be active. Once they start standing around, you'll slowly start to go into that downward spiral.

If you dont do this already, it may be a good idea to have some sort of class plan prepared. Obviously depending on class size, you may have to alter what you do, but for example, if your class is 1hr., you could break things down by time. Ex: 10min warm-up, 15min for basics, ie punches and kicks and blocks, and so on. Again, this is a guide only. You dont have to stick with the times exactly. If you'd rather spend 20min on basics, then so be it. :)

Will you have someone helping you with the classes? If so, in the past when I've taught, I've broken the class into groups/stations. For example, one station could be basics, another kata, another SD, and so on. Devote a set amount of time for each group, and rotate accordingly. This may be possible to do on your own, however, I would only do this with older kids, as you have a better chance of them actually doing what you tell them, vs. if you had a class of younger kids.

Stac3y made a very good point when she spoke of facing the kids, vs. standing with your back to them, when you're doing a tech. This will force you to have to do your techs. mirror image, but nothing wrong with that. :) I've done this many times, especially when working with kids, and IMO, its a big plus.

Good luck with the classes. Teaching kids is a different experience, but I'm sure you'll do fine. :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've found this to be a great resource for teaching both kids & adults. http://www.4kicks.com/

It's a free website where instructors share ideas, drills, games & other things that have worked for them. It just came out in it's second version. The old version had a lot more items because it had been up for a few years. In time, there will be more up there.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
There have already been some good advice and I may not add much to it. The good thing is that you are teaching 8 year olds and not younger. At least at 8 they are already in school and have some sense of student teacher understanding. We get kids as young as 4 and on the exception younger. Some of these kids don't even speak English as their first language.

The first thing you need to do is understand that it is all mimic at this point. No deep understanding of anything. Just do what I do. Our Kibon form or beginner form is just 9 movements with no kicks. They also learn basic punching, 3 basic kicks and that is about it. The rest if gross motor skill development type drills and games. This keeps it simple and fun at the same time. You just want them moving in ways that will help them later.

Below is all we have our beginners kids do.

1. Basic punching - area punching only. As long as the punch is in the area that is OK. You can tell them solar plexus or groin or face but exact area is not needed. Just make sure it is in the general area. Also make sure the hand mimic what you are doing. That is twisting in and out but does not have to be exact. Have them do this from a horse stance. Stance will most likely be a wide straight leg stance but that is OK.
1. Single middle punch with both hands
2. Single low punch with both hands
3. Single high punch with both hands.
4. Double middle punch
5. Three combo punch (middle, low, high)

Basic kicking - Again this is just to get the legs to move. No kick will look as it should but you can tell them to bend knee when needed for certain kicks. Kicks should be as high as they can. Balance is not a real concern but should be told to keep balance but do not drill balance. Just as long as the kicks have some resemblance of what they are.
1. Stretch kick (axe)
2. In out stretch kick (also in out axe - not crescent kick)
3. Out in stretch kick (also out in axe - not crescent kick)
4. Front push kick
5. Front kick (snap)

Kibon (basic form) - Again just mimic. No real technique will be needed. As long as the hands get to the general area is OK. How the get there are not important either. Just as long as they can remember the forms in order and have the hands to the general area.
1. Low block
2. High block
3. Middle in out block
4. Middle out in block
5. Middle in out knife hand strike
6. Side knife hand chop
7. Single knife hand in out knife hand block
8. Double knife hand block middle
9. Double knife hand block low

That is it for our beginner kids. Spend about 25 - 30 min on the basics and then have fun for the rest of the time. Fun is still teaching but on gross motor skills, this teaches kids how to move their bodies. You can add games that involve kicking and getting knees up. Games that involve jumping in all directions. lots of running games. Lots of obstacle course type stuff and rolling and body movement stuff.

You can add in more teaching as they progress. Always command respect but not like a General. If a kid is out of line or gets a little to playful you need to have that UT OH voice.

The other thing we do with the kids is lots of Yes Sir and No Sir, and tons of bowing. Just to build the respect aspect. We even make sure they bow to their parents and elders. Without this they would run all over you.

Of course there is more but this is the just of it. All in all just have fun with them. Techniques are something that you build not just get in one day. Even the adults and teens take quite a long time to develop good technique and they have pretty much control of their bodies. Remember for most of the kids, this is their first and only exposure to a physical activity.

Hope this helps.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Teach them each technique until they are proficient at it.... Don't move away from Round Kick until they are able to throw a round kick..... Be patient and don't compromise because they are children.... Discipline is the key.... Most parents appreciate it.... At least the good ones. I like the Drill Sargent approach... Yes Sir No Sir... Respect goes along way when teaching kids.... Don't compromise they will respond!

I know this is a simplistic approach but my kids were taught this way.... Learn it... do it right... and move on.... Come back later and check to see if they have retained it... and then retrain if needed....Kids will learn anything well if you have a consistent disciplined approach!!!!

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know this is a secular forum, so I hope this is not out of line. You're teaching in a church setting so I assume that is part of your make up. Pray that God will give you a desire to teach kids. In my opinion, all the teaching techniques in the world can't compare with an instructor that loves to teach kids. Our instructor loves kids and I can't tell you how well my children (11-15) have responded to him.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have Fun, and make sure they are having fun.

If that is in place, the rest is easy.

There is a ton of great books on the subject of coaching kids, just hit up any large bookstore and check the sports sections. Don't think it has to be a "Martial Arts" book, because you likely won't find one. But general sports coaching will be there, amateur wrestling might be as well. The concepts of coaching kids aren't unique to the different sports though so don't worry about that.

Also keep in mind how kids naturally learn. They learn through 'playing' and if you can work with that natural learning style you can get some great results, if you fight against it you will have a very rough time.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is a secular forum, so I hope this is not out of line. You're teaching in a church setting so I assume that is part of your make up. Pray that God will give you a desire to teach kids. In my opinion, all the teaching techniques in the world can't compare with an instructor that loves to teach kids. Our instructor loves kids and I can't tell you how well my children (11-15) have responded to him.

I prefer this attitude to one where you have the kids bowing and scraping all over the place. I believe that your instructor has the best way of teaching, kids love enthuisiam and if someone is genuinely interested in them they won't play you up they will try to please.

Our children call us by our first names, never a sir or ma'am insight, and only bow coming in and out and at the beginning and end of class, I hate servilility in MA classes. We never have problems with the kids behaviour, we treat them like human beings and they respond well.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
dancingalone,

How is this going for you. I am very interested. I think that you have allot to offer kids and I think that in the end you will find this very rewarding.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't tried to implement any of these excellent suggestions yet, Gorilla. I'm still in the research and investigation phase to determine how best to proceed.

It may be that I just need to re-adjust my attitude some and rethink what my goals are. It is beginning to look like perhaps I should be a facilitator rather than a driver.

Thanks for asking.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So many complain about how youth Martial Arts are handled. You appear to me to be a person with integrity. I think that you should take the opportunity to influence the next generation of Martial Artists. Don't compromise explain what you are doing and why! Your disciplined approach will be appreciated! Don't water anything down! Kids will respond over time and the parents if they know what is going on will appreciate it. You will have bumps in the road but in the end you will be appreciated by those who get "it".

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dancingalone,
My master has connections and friends who are masters of other schools. If you have not, you might find value in visiting instructors you respect who teach young students. If it's an established program, you will see some 8 year olds with 2-3 years of experience, as we have. I think that helps to increase your awareness of what is possible with that age group, not just what they can/cannot do as white belts.

Carl

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A whip, a chair....what more do you need?

Seriously, the main thing in teaching kids is to have a good sense of humor and a very positive approach to teaching. Use the praise-correct-praise model and positive reinforcement as much as you can.

And yeah, you're gonna have the occasional Student From Hell. You just gotta buckle down and find some way to relate to them so that they get on the same page.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dancingalone,
My master has connections and friends who are masters of other schools. If you have not, you might find value in visiting instructors you respect who teach young students. If it's an established program, you will see some 8 year olds with 2-3 years of experience, as we have. I think that helps to increase your awareness of what is possible with that age group, not just what they can/cannot do as white belts.

Carl

I your statement "increase your awareness of what is possible in that age group" It is a very correct statement. I have seen some young kids that are pretty amazing! If you don't work with kids many times you are just not aware of how good they can be. If you watch ATC's kids compete you will be amazed at the talent level and understanding of the sport. I have the pleasure of watching them train their level of focus is way beyond that of most kids and many adults!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I your statement "increase your awareness of what is possible in that age group" It is a very correct statement. I have seen some young kids that are pretty amazing! If you don't work with kids many times you are just not aware of how good they can be. If you watch ATC's kids compete you will be amazed at the talent level and understanding of the sport. I have the pleasure of watching them train their level of focus is way beyond that of most kids and many adults!
Too kind. Tal, your kids are just as good. It all comes from Masters knowing that the only limits are the ones we make. Kids can take and do much more than many adult want to believe. No they can't compete againt adult out weighing them, but if you keep it all relitive they are just as good if not better than adults on a comparitive level.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions