Knees and elbows?

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was just curious how many of you teach knees and elbows at your school?

I had the class doing knees 2 weeks ago and they had a hard time with some of them. I found myself asking, "Knees AND elbows are a part of taekwondo, why dont we practice them more?" I think the reason we dont teach them a lot is because we dont use them in our sparring in class.

Thoughts?

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have my own set of muy thia pads just for that!

Deaf

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, we practice them in general techniques, naturally not in sparring. But SD scenarios, sure!

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We practice them a lot on self defense days but not as part of any other workouts.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach them as part of self defense practice. The Palgue forms are loaded with them, and the knee is a natural part of front kick practice.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I taught a short class last week that was almost exclusively knees and elbows. Elbows were on the wavemaster to get used to driving from the legs and rotating the shoulders for power. Knees were more involved because it was a partner drill. One partner would hold a shield. The other would grab the head and shoulders and knee into the pad. Again, body mechanics for power.

Forms show us that knees and elbows are part of Tae Kwon Do, but they don't teach us how to do them effectively. For that you need to treat it as a technique to be learned and practiced and drilled

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like the others, knees and elbows are part of our self defense practice. To a lesser degree, a part of our forms, and not typically a part of our psarring unless we are doing something like SD sparring or the like.

It'd be nice if we trained them more, but it is what it is.

Peace,
Erik

OP
tko4u

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I taught a short class last week that was almost exclusively knees and elbows. Elbows were on the wavemaster to get used to driving from the legs and rotating the shoulders for power. Knees were more involved because it was a partner drill. One partner would hold a shield. The other would grab the head and shoulders and knee into the pad. Again, body mechanics for power.

Forms show us that knees and elbows are part of Tae Kwon Do, but they don't teach us how to do them effectively. For that you need to treat it as a technique to be learned and practiced and drilled

thats exactly like the class i taught 2 weeks ago.

thanks for all the comments!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

We don't do them on a bag usually (though we have been taught how to, SD and breaking technique) but we do have some compos that include knee and downward elbow or SD drills with elbows tot he temple and ribs (they are so fun!)

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
think elbows and knees are very powerful and can be quite devastating. For self-defense purposes, i think it would be good to practice both as well as defence against.

Both are obviously more suited to infighting. lifting ones knee can be risky especially around a grappler. Elbows are quite deceptive and if trained well, can smash boards or bones.

there are countless possiblilties for combat, i would not ignore anything. One should even include hipstrikes, shoulderrams or headbutts-
one should be able to hit most any area and find a suitable target. even the forarm can be used to strike, for example, providing the target is not too tough- forarm to the face/head could be sufficient to stun or knockout, but to another place could even injure ones own forarm or simply not really affect the enemy.

it kind of seems to me that some people are having troubles with the ideas of combat vs. the particular martial art practices.
because i can see why such strikes are not allowed in certain matches and competitions. i would not try to force something into 'my martial art' if it is not there in the first place. either i would try to quietly integrate it, or i would leave the paradigm of my art and take a look at other arts.

for example, if i were a boxer that thought suddenly that i needed kicks. i would not just try to practice on my own or try to kick the same like i throw punches... i would rather checkout those who can really kick well, such as taekwondo, shaolin or karate, and learn from them.
every art will have something special to offer. i would want to focus on that.
i would never really think something like 'my almighty martial art'- its only the martial art(s) that i have had contact with-.

however, if the forms clearly show elbows and knees, i can see why one would wonder why they are not taught properly-.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We work on them every other night and you are right they have always been a part of TKD but not alot of people train them anymore.

OP
tko4u

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
and because we dont train them a lot, tkd people have trouble throwing them right, i think they are devastating and very useful for self defense

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
and because we dont train them a lot, tkd people have trouble throwing them right, i think they are devastating and very useful for self defense

I agree somewhat what I have seen is so many young insrtuctor not doing them because they came from a tournament type of school and the older ones are to far and in between.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The younger students do great 540-degree kicks, which you'll never use outside. They are, however, slowly losing the ability to do these basic power techniques, which you can always use.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I truly believe in them for SD, Like Blue Key We do have them in certain forms!

Latest Discussions