Tips For Teaching Children?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach our kids class when my instructor is away and I swear it is harder than trying to handle 2 Jaguar payments.
Anyone have any tips in handling a class of children?
I see my Master do it and it does it and it seems so easy but when I do it I am like Ahhhhhh!!!!! I dont wanna seem so super strict and a hard @ss to them, but is that the best way to be to start out with them?
Some kids are into it and motivated while maybe 1-2 are not. The real little one's that are about 4 or 5 are the biggest handfulls.
How do u all deal with kids class and any suggestions.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a few other threads:

http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28114

http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27927

http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20382

Keep them active, keep them having fun, have fun yourself. Be loud, clear, and decisive.

With some you may have to win a little bit of respect, which may mean doing something less fun as a result of inability to play nicely with the more fun stuff. If it's only one or two causing trouble sitting out for a fun activity might help motivate them to see the benefits of playing by the rules.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks alot...I will read these as well as take your advice

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I didn't read through the links posted, but some quick tips-

-Have fun. It is how kids learn. Relax. Kids smell fear/uneasiness.

-When correcting something or talking one-on-one, try to get down to their level. Get on one knee so they are not staring up at this giant who may be kind of a stranger to them.

-Don't do anything for over 5 minutes. Unless you are just playing a game, it is hard to get all the really young kids focusing on what they are doing for a long period of time.

-Be excited. If you are excited, the kids will be.

-Keep the class constantly moving, doing something, high energy, etc. so they don't have time to lose focus or misbehave. If they do, remind them of the rules and who is in charge.

-SMILE

-When you see one of the kids doing a drill well, holding still properly, or anything else, let every one know it! In front of the class, tell the kid what he/she is doing well that you really like and give them a high-five. The kids will be happy because he is getting realistic praise and the other kids will want to follow suit.

-Little kids don't have to be "perfect".

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I teach our kids class when my instructor is away and I swear it is harder than trying to handle 2 Jaguar payments.
Anyone have any tips in handling a class of children?
I see my Master do it and it does it and it seems so easy but when I do it I am like Ahhhhhh!!!!! I dont wanna seem so super strict and a hard @ss to them, but is that the best way to be to start out with them?
Some kids are into it and motivated while maybe 1-2 are not. The real little one's that are about 4 or 5 are the biggest handfulls.
How do u all deal with kids class and any suggestions.

Ace:

Forgive me if you've said already but, how old are you? I'm just curious. ShuJack has good advice there. Relax & have fun! I'm sure you'll make a wonderful instructor.