Taking the Martial out of the Art.....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez3,
I'm sorry if you found my description of my experience at the ONE SCHOOL that taught MMA/BJJ school as a "negative comment", but it was not my intention to come off that way. I was just trying to tell a story about how ONE INSTRUCTOR seemed like he had no respect for the martial arts. I even stated in the beginning of my post I will not name the schools because it is not fair if it was just a bad school in one chain because I am sure they are all not like that.

I was certain, even before you stated so in your thread above, that the scenario that I described is not what happens at reputable BJJ and MMA gyms. I am getting the feeling that you took my post the wrong way.

Not in the least, I was actually asking you questions not attacking you, none of which you've answered btw.

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not in the least, I was actually asking you questions not attacking you, none of which you've answered btw.
I am sorry if I missed a question or two, but I do see this one:

When you learn your hyungs do you also understand what they are for and why you do them? Or is it just about doing the movements?

The answer would be, I guess. It is supposed to help you learn rythm, control and breathing???

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry if I missed a question or two, but I do see this one:

When you learn your hyungs do you also understand what they are for and why you do them? Or is it just about doing the movements?

The answer would be, I guess. It is supposed to help you learn rythm, control and breathing???

No, that may be by-products but that's not the purpose of them. to be honest I could cry with frustration every time I hear this!

http://iainabernethy.co.uk/article/basics-bunkai-part-1

http://iainabernethy.co.uk/article/brief-history-kata

if you are just learning them as a series of meaningless movements you are being badly served by your instructors indeed.

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great read, indeed! Thank you very much for the links! :)

Iain is absolutely brilliant and is at the forefront of the use of practical applications in karate. TSD is so like Wado Ryu and Shotokan so you will have no difficulty in seeing the techniques in the hyungs. Start looking for the Bunkai and I can promise you your whole training will be transformed, it's that good ...and it's what the hynugs/patterns/kata are for!

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd have to say that when I first started reading the first article, I never even thought how something like a high block could be turned into a strike. I always thought to myself, when I spar, how come I never use the "correct" blocking technique by using the correct chambering, etc. I guess the answer really is, that isn't really possible to pull that off in a real fight, is it? When I spar, I block, and I block well, but I never do it the way I do it in a form. So making a high block or an outside inside block an actual strike while in close makes a lot of sense to me!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Tez3,
I'm sorry if you found my description of my experience at the ONE SCHOOL that taught MMA/BJJ school as a "negative comment", but it was not my intention to come off that way. I was just trying to tell a story about how ONE INSTRUCTOR seemed like he had no respect for the martial arts. I even stated in the beginning of my post I will not name the schools because it is not fair if it was just a bad school in one chain because I am sure they are all not like that.

I was certain, even before you stated so in your thread above, that the scenario that I described is not what happens at reputable BJJ and MMA gyms. I am getting the feeling that you took my post the wrong way.

Which school was it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Which school was it?

I am sorry, my friend, but I am not going to answer that question. It would do nothing but change the way someone may feel towards that school/chain.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do wish people who misread posts would actually bother to ask the person making the post what they meant instead of doling out anonymous neg rep, please have the courage of your convictions and don't hide behind anonymity.

I haven't attacked anyone's martial arts style, I've asked some questions about something someone wrote. It's been misread as an attack when it really wasn't, trust me, when I attack there really is no mistake about it. :uhohh:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I am sorry, my friend, but I am not going to answer that question. It would do nothing but change the way someone may feel towards that school/chain.

It does make it difficult to believe you, though. If you recieved poor service in a restaurant, would you feel bad posting a review on yelp? What about a bad movie? Would you be reluctant to share your experience? Why is this different?

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Question for Steve: not sure...but would 'naming names' be against the forum's policy?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt very much anyone would change their mind about the place they trained at just because of something was said on here, they may have an explanation or a reason the poster saw what he did, they may say that's never happened, the poster was mistaken, there's various reasons we should know which club it was. I've never across behaviour like that alleged but perhaps the place is known for it or perhaps there was in a mistake in the reporting of it, we would like to know that's all.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Question for Steve: not sure...but would 'naming names' be against the forum's policy?
I'll let a mod chime in on that. My personal opinion is that this isn't fraud busting. It's establishing credibility.

Look. It's easy to make stuff up. The description of the "MMA/BJJ" school is so completely foreign to anything I've ever seen or heard about that it is, frankly, very difficult for me to believe. And an unwillingness to share the name of this school doesn't help establish credibility. If preferred, Kaygee, you can PM me the name. If this school DOES exist, I'm sure you can understand that I'd like to know about it so that I can share the information within the relatively small MMA/BJJ community.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A different label but the same thing. I must have missed some details somewhere...but it sounds like if a member isn't willing to name names, that they have to 'prove themselves' via PM?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harlen, I wasn't addressing you or Steve for that matter but Kaygee who suggested that reading about a club could change someone who trains at its mind about the place.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A different label but the same thing. I must have missed some details somewhere...but it sounds like if a member isn't willing to name names, that they have to 'prove themselves' via PM?
To be clear, he doesn't have to name names, but I'm going to make it very clear in the thread for anyone reading now and in the future that as someone knowledgeable in the specific style in question, I think his allegation is so far away from the norm, it's almost surely untrue.

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I do not see any reason why I have to share the name of this school with you, or anyone!
I have posted my story and my story is on this forum and my story is true!......And it wasn't meant to put any type of school down, it was just my story. I woldn't have posted it if I knew people would be this sensitive to it.

Believe it, or don't believe it...that's your decision and it doesn't matter to me which decision you decide to make!

So make I'll it "very clear" in the thread for anyone reading now, and in the future, that my "allegation" is so far away from the norm, it's almost surely untrue.

There, I did it for ya! And I do not doubt that it was an odd occurrence! But it DID indeed happen! I've never witnessed so much anger and mistrust on a martial arts message board before......

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I do not see any reason why I have to share the name of this school with you, or anyone!
You don't. But at the same time, in any discussion here or anywhere else, it's a rare situation to be able to make unsubstantiated claims without expecting some push back. Were I to claim I walked into a Tang Soo Do school and saw the instructor teaching a class full of circus animals, I'd expect to either substantiate the claim or have my credibility questioned. It's far fetched.
I have posted my story and my story is on this forum and my story is true!......And it wasn't meant to put any type of school down, it was just my story. I woldn't have posted it if I knew people would be this sensitive to it.
Well, here's the thing. It was intended to be a put down. You were absolutely critical of that school (and rightfully so, if it was actually run the way you say it was.)
Believe it, or don't believe it...that's your decision and it doesn't matter to me which decision you decide to make!
Thanks! I don't believe it. But I'm willing to admit my mistake should evidence to the contrary be provided.
So make I'll it "very clear" in the thread for anyone reading now, and in the future, that my "allegation" is so far away from the norm, it's almost surely untrue.

There, I did it for ya! And I do not doubt that it was an odd occurrence! But it DID indeed happen! I've never witnessed so much anger and mistrust on a martial arts message board before......
I don't think anyone's angry. I'm certainly not. I don't think Tez is. She's got a pretty thick skin. I am posting more with an iPad, and so my posts tend to be a lot shorter, which means that I'm cutting to the chase a little more. Typing on that little keypad with my fat fingers is tedious.

And I don't think we're inherently mistrustful. But if I were to say, "That guy teaching circus animals? His Sa Bum Nim is a 3rd dan AND a chimpanzee!" Is it possible? I... guess it could be. Would you take that at face value? I should hope not.

Ultimately, as I said earlier, if you ate at a terrible Italian Restaurant, would you be reluctant to share the name? I wouldn't. Yelp exists entirely based on the presumption that most wouldn't. Most people would consider your honest account to be helpful. So, why are you reluctant to share details of your experience here? I honestly don't get it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, here's the deal:

Nobody is required to name names in a case like this. If they're not comfortable doing so, they don't have to. The lack of a name may cause people to doubt the story -- or not. Credibility is in the eye of the reader; the administration here very rarely and only in very extreme cases will get involved in that sort of thing. Hounding them about it could become a problem.

Fraudbusting is a "we know it when we see it" sort of thing... The staff has, more than once, tried to pin it down better than that, with little success. It's generally OK to ask about someone's credentials or ask about an instructor or school's quality or reputation -- but not to hound people for answers.