Sword & Hammer, Obscure Wing

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
by the term index, you are referring to the exact movement you make when you turn your head- correct?
The answer to everything is, "It depends." There is a specific way to move every part of your body for any given situation.
what for example would be a wrong way of turning the head to look in say a horse stance when you want to look to your left?
To begin the process of realigning and re-orientating the body requires, in this case, and Indexing of the head by first dropping the chin and then sweeping the head to the left.

Unfortunately the manutae is where the knowledge is. Motion based commercial kenpo tells you to do a lot of things, but there is no real knowledge in the structure because it was not meant to be an in-depth exploration into the arts. Therefore it 'hints' at information but doesn't deliver 'how' to do anything.

You must examine everything you do from the perspective of describing the action to an alien from another planet. Some Kenpo people say, "Look to your left." and take it for granted that you just "do it." We call it "Nike-Kenpo." Just do it, and somehow everything will just fall into place and be really efficient. If that is all a person wants, it's a great product. But how you turn your head in different circumstances has a profound impact on what and how your body receives and perceives external information and prepares itself for the action. Done incorrectly, the body breaks down in confrontation under load, and is weak. Who would have thought a simple "turn of the head" could have such an impact, and that there is a right and wrong way to do it?

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The answer to everything is, "It depends." There is a specific way to move every part of your body for any given situation.

To begin the process of realigning and re-orientating the body requires, in this case, and Indexing of the head by first dropping the chin and then sweeping the head to the left.

Unfortunately the manutae is where the knowledge is. Motion based commercial kenpo tells you to do a lot of things, but there is no real knowledge in the structure because it was not meant to be an in-depth exploration into the arts. Therefore it 'hints' at information but doesn't deliver 'how' to do anything.

You must examine everything you do from the perspective of describing the action to an alien from another planet. Some Kenpo people say, "Look to your left." and take it for granted that you just "do it." We call it "Nike-Kenpo." Just do it, and somehow everything will just fall into place and be really efficient. If that is all a person wants, it's a great product. But how you turn your head in different circumstances has a profound impact on what and how your body receives and perceives external information and prepares itself for the action. Done incorrectly, the body breaks down in confrontation under load, and is weak. Who would have thought a simple "turn of the head" could have such an impact, and that there is a right and wrong way to do it?

Heh...allow me to quote the inimitable Mister Brad...

*ahem*...

Why?

*Runs away ducking incoming projectiles*

MMAkid1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you are thinking only in Kenpo/Kempo terms then just ignore me, but at our school we sometimes have a Tang Soo Do instructor who comes to just give us more weapons in our proverbial arsenal. He is a bouncer at a local club and has used the technique I will explain and will vouch that it works. Anyway, He said that if you are grabbed r.f.l.s. you could merely use a groin scoop (where you hop on one leg and use the other to scoop your opponents groin) followed by a rear thrust kick, or you could use only the thrust kick to create distance and prepare to defend yourself. Hope it helps, even though you all have had many years of martial arts experience. I am not trying to sound like I know more than you all, I just didn't see anybody saying anything about this so I thought I'd share what I've learned. Hope it helps.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These are the only 2 techs I've been taught that have a right
flank left shoulder grab. Both require a strike without really
looking behind you.

In thinking of a scenario that would give a purpose for this
defense, it all changes, and goes really really bad if the one
grabbing you is a cop, or buddy of yours. Maybe you're fighting
multiple attackers, and your buddy comes up puts his hand on
your shoulder to stop you from going to crazy on the attackers.
Maybe it's a cop, going "okay, that's enough!" (or the owner
of the establishment you're in club, bar, airport, whatever).

Share some ideas on when one should consider using one or the
other of these techs. I'd be just a little scared to ever use it,
personally. Enlighten me! :)
The first half of your strike requires no knowledge of whom you are striking or where; however, you should have a visual by the time you start the second half of the strike.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are thinking only in Kenpo/Kempo terms then just ignore me, but at our school we sometimes have a Tang Soo Do instructor who comes to just give us more weapons in our proverbial arsenal. He is a bouncer at a local club and has used the technique I will explain and will vouch that it works. Anyway, He said that if you are grabbed r.f.l.s. you could merely use a groin scoop (where you hop on one leg and use the other to scoop your opponents groin) followed by a rear thrust kick, or you could use only the thrust kick to create distance and prepare to defend yourself. Hope it helps, even though you all have had many years of martial arts experience. I am not trying to sound like I know more than you all, I just didn't see anybody saying anything about this so I thought I'd share what I've learned. Hope it helps.
Kicking into the unknown is an option.
Sean

MMAkid1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As you should always be looking at your target even if behind you with a checking hand as in Escaping Ram.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wrong......(don't know who taught you that one).........ALWAYS LOOK BEFORE YOU STRIKE!

Like you said you never know when your buddy is the one behind you.

Michael

i agree. we were always told to ALWAYS look b4 u do something behind u. one time a friend jumped on my back (like pushed off of my shoulders) and i grabbed his wrist and twisted it into a lock. it was reflex and i quickly stopped b4 i went to far but if u do something other than a reflexive muscle memory thing u should always look.%think%