Intellectual Departure

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As was originally written in Ed Parkers Accumulative Journal (Manual Late 70's)....

Intellectual Departure (front right thrust kick)

a. With feet together step back with your left foot into a right neutral bow and execute a right Inside downward block (palm down,traveling diagonally, from 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock) as you pivot into a right reverse close kneel stance with your left hand guarding at the right side of your face (positional check).

b. From the right reverse close kneel stance, execute a right back thrust kick to opponent's groin.

c. Immediately plant your right foot back to its former position (or adjust it as you see fit) an shuffle (drag your left foot) toward your opponent and deliver a right knife edge kick to the inside of your opponents left knee.

end...

There were no back knuckles originally... some have inserted or altered the technique.

:asian:

That is exactly as I learned many years ago. I think our school may have put either a step-through front kick or a back-knuckle at the end. Can't remember anymore.

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know that the back knuckles were not in the "original technique" but I was told by Mr Wedlake & Mr Whitson tha the reason that the back knuckles were added was because students were rushing into the side snap kick messing up thier body mechanice. So put in a backknuckel in there and it force the student to go into the R N Bow before the kick.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is exactly as I learned many years ago. I think our school may have put either a step-through front kick or a back-knuckle at the end. Can't remember anymore.

Step Through Front Kick if you're talking about Mr. Jim's

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks James! I originally learned it at Mr. Polanzo's school back in the mid-eighties, and I seem to remember that version being different. But I couldn't remember who did what.

Latest Discussions