Purple Belt technique questions

Kyoshi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Question1:
Twirling wings. In my curiculum, it says that my 2nd elbow should be executed int o a left figting horse (facing 9 o'clock). But won't this horse stance give us a bad bracing angle??? I prefer to do it in a neutral bow.

Question2:
Chrushing hammer. Is this technique in family with chrashing wings #16 orange belt technique. Both steps behind with "7" and lifts head with obscure elbow, and 1st hits the groin, in chrushing hammer hits the ribs.

Question3:
Captured leaves. Does elbows straight in, whereas in twirling wings the elbows are horizontal. Familiy?

Question4:
Calming the storm. The last hits to the right lower ribs, is done while counterrotating or? I think the rotation is focused on the waiter check, but in everyother technique, we expect the person to move his hands, to where hes last hit - why do we have to check the hand which isn't there?

Question5:
Reversing Mace. Do you move your right foot, slightly - or is it nailed to the ground, i get a much better more accurate and powerfull effect if i can move it slightly...

Question6:
Obscure wing. If the guys has straight arm, how can you reach with midrange weapon elbow. This technique is done vs. someone close and with bend elbow - right?

Question 7:
Raining Claw. I like splitting in this technique, but my teacher says i can't since we haven't moved ourself away from the target. My argument is mirrage of gravity to the arm and the raining claw coming simoultaneously.

Question 8:
Obscure sword. Is the guy dragging you back, or just holding you? Or do you pin his hand and step forward dragging him along into the obscure sword?

Thanks for your time and Patience.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Question1:
Twirling wings. In my curiculum, it says that my 2nd elbow should be executed int o a left figting horse (facing 9 o'clock). But won't this horse stance give us a bad bracing angle??? I prefer to do it in a neutral bow.

Haha, technically, I suppose it should. Remember that the opponent should be off-balance from both the initial block and the first elbow, though.

Question2:
Chrushing hammer. Is this technique in family with chrashing wings #16 orange belt technique. Both steps behind with "7" and lifts head with obscure elbow, and 1st hits the groin, in chrushing hammer hits the ribs.

Question3:
Captured leaves. Does elbows straight in, whereas in twirling wings the elbows are horizontal. Familiy?

I'll "leave" the family questions to someone else. :)

Question4:
Calming the storm. The last hits to the right lower ribs, is done while counterrotating or? I think the rotation is focused on the waiter check, but in everyother technique, we expect the person to move his hands, to where hes last hit - why do we have to check the hand which isn't there?

I always did the counter-rotation for the back-fist strike. I didn't check his hand so much as keep mine up in case he threw something at my face, or that side of my body.

Question5:
Reversing Mace. Do you move your right foot, slightly - or is it nailed to the ground, i get a much better more accurate and powerfull effect if i can move it slightly...

I always moved my right foot slightly off-line, although the technique doesn't call for it.

Question6:
Obscure wing. If the guys has straight arm, how can you reach with midrange weapon elbow. This technique is done vs. someone close and with bend elbow - right?

Yes, in close. I was shown, and always taught it, as someone pulling you backwards towards them.

Question 7:
Raining Claw. I like splitting in this technique, but my teacher says i can't since we haven't moved ourself away from the target. My argument is mirrage of gravity to the arm and the raining claw coming simoultaneously.

I never liked this move. A downward block will not stop an uppercut, unless you flap the elbow in (changing the plane from horizontal to vertical) to deflect it, which also aligns for your counter-uppercut. Whoops.....I mean back-knuckle. LOL. I would agree with the teacher in this case - you don't want to leap into an uppercut.

Question 8:
Obscure sword. Is the guy dragging you back, or just holding you? Or do you pin his hand and step forward dragging him along into the obscure sword?

I was shown this move as the guy is pushing you forward. You have to take the step with the left to keep from getting pushed over. You turn and strike, hopefully getting colliding forces from his momentum still moving in.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Question1:

Lose the horse.

Question2:

Its the same basic elbow motion. The elbow is naturally obscure, don't do and obscure elbow (weak motion).

Question3:

I would argue that, in Twirling Wings, your albows arent exactly horizontle, but diagonal. Think Thrust!

Question4:

Because it could be; the logic of return motion dictates you check the arm that is extended toward you in attack.

Question5:

Shuffle in.

Question6:

Do a different tech.

Question 7:

Sounds alright for a variation but don't do it or teach it as a base.

Question 8:

Its a purposefull defiance to purposefull compliance tech. Pull him and he will pull back... maybe.

Sean

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As to Raining Claw, I think it will help to both define "uppercut" and "downward block".

Think of the uppercut as more of a roundhouse type attack coming from that angle as opposed to a boxer's tight in uppercut punch.

As to the downward block, the motion is downward, but think more of striking down onto the punching arm as opposed to the downward block that we practice in star block and short/long 1. It is a slightly different motion, almost an inward/downward as opposed to just downward.

Here is a clip of the technique.

Last edited by a moderator:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As to Raining Claw, I think it will help to both define "uppercut" and "downward block".

Think of the uppercut as more of a roundhouse type attack coming from that angle as opposed to a boxer's tight in uppercut punch.

As to the downward block, the motion is downward, but think more of striking down onto the punching arm as opposed to the downward block that we practice in star block and short/long 1. It is a slightly different motion, almost an inward/downward as opposed to just downward.

Here is a clip of the technique.
Or re-define.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Question1:

Question2:

Question3:

Question4:

Question5:

Question6:

Question 7:

Question 8:

No offense, but do you have an instructor? If you do, the questions are better directed at him. If not, the answers won't help you in reality, and merely spawn more questions of the same.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No offense, but do you have an instructor? If you do, the questions are better directed at him. If not, the answers won't help you in reality, and merely spawn more questions of the same.

"No offense"? Seriously? What's wrong with him asking questions here? Isn't that what this place is for?

OP
K

Kyoshi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes i do have an instructor.
I have been training martialarts for the last 14 years, thought only ½ a year in EPAK-style.

Me and my instructor have different backgrounds in various martialarts, whereas we debate the techniques and tailor them to fit our individual and our needs.

I do indeed have asked my instructor, but is it prohibited to ask others instructors/fellow EPAK-practitioners as well...?

Im with EPAK Denmark under Ingmar Johannson from sweden, Planas Lineage...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been training martialarts for the last 14 years, thought only ½ a year in EPAK-style.

Me and my instructor have different backgrounds in various martialarts, whereas we debate the techniques and tailor them to fit our individual and our needs.

I do indeed have asked my instructor, but is it prohibited to ask others instructors/fellow EPAK-practitioners as well...?

Its not a problem.
Sean

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

beat me to it

I think maybe the real question is, has your instructor given you answers to these questions?

here's the thing: there are many lineages of kenpo that trace back to Mr. Parker. When you start going across lineages, you will often find a lot of disagreement on how things ought to be done. If you start changing what you do based on a mish-mash of answers that you get from people outside your lineage, you are going to create a lot more confusion about what you are trying to do.

The answers to these questions are best gotten from your teacher, especially since you are very new to kenpo. Better to build your kenpo with consistency. Later, once you have reached a deeper level of understanding and skill, it might be appropriate to look outside your lineage to see how others are doing things. But at this stage of your development, it's probably not a good idea.

Ya gotta keep in mind, all kenpo is not the same, and it isn't all simply interchangeable.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think we can all agree that not everyone has access to the quantity or quality of instruction that teachers such as yourself posses. It would only seem to follow that a kenpoist would enjoy seeing what the web has to offer. See Kenpotalk.com for examples of possible kenpo information.
sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beat me to it

I think maybe the real question is, has your instructor given you answers to these questions?

here's the thing: there are many lineages of kenpo that trace back to Mr. Parker. When you start going across lineages, you will often find a lot of disagreement on how things ought to be done. If you start changing what you do based on a mish-mash of answers that you get from people outside your lineage, you are going to create a lot more confusion about what you are trying to do.

The answers to these questions are best gotten from your teacher, especially since you are very new to kenpo. Better to build your kenpo with consistency. Later, once you have reached a deeper level of understanding and skill, it might be appropriate to look outside your lineage to see how others are doing things. But at this stage of your development, it's probably not a good idea.

Ya gotta keep in mind, all kenpo is not the same, and it isn't all simply interchangeable.
On the other hand it could be the best thing he did for his art.
sean

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
On the other hand it could be the best thing he did for his art.
sean

personally, I doubt it.

He's asking a lot of questions on specific technical aspects of the SD techs. It's almost like he's trying to learn the techs thru internet discussion. This is the kind of thing that needs hands-on work, and he should get the answers from his instructor. Like I said, at least at this stage of his development.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
personally, I doubt it.

He's asking a lot of questions on specific technical aspects of the SD techs. It's almost like he's trying to learn the techs thru internet discussion. This is the kind of thing that needs hands-on work, and he should get the answers from his instructor. Like I said, at least at this stage of his development.
We shall see. They do have other arts under the belt.
Sean

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
personally, I doubt it.

That was my feeling, and the questions are really very detailed about something he should theoretically already have a base understanding of. Ultimately, it is your teacher that you have to satisfy, and answers of this specificity may generate disparate understandings between you and those who teach you. You must do what they want you do and subscribe to their philosophy. General questions are fine and we seek to answer those all the time, but it sounds like you're trying to learn the form on line, and that you cannot do. I know Richard and Ingmar and they are VERY specific in their teaching so .......... I repeat, "Discuss these issues with your teacher." In the long run, if you're an actual student, it will pay bigger dividends when it comes to testing and promotions within your lineage.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Very disappointed here. Doc, no offense, but who are you to limit the specificity of questions allowed on this forum? The guy has 14 years of training - I think we can assume that he has the "base understanding" to be able to ask detailed questions. To stifle legit inquisition is........unseemly, at best. I see nothing wrong with him asking here. Maye he wants to compare answers with what his instructor has already told him?

I don't agree with a one-way student/teacher relationship.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very disappointed here. Doc, no offense, but who are you to limit the specificity of questions allowed on this forum? The guy has 14 years of training - I think we can assume that he has the "base understanding" to be able to ask detailed questions. To stifle legit inquisition is........unseemly, at best. I see nothing wrong with him asking here. Maye he wants to compare answers with what his instructor has already told him?

I don't agree with a one-way student/teacher relationship.

since I'm in Doc's camp here, I'll chip in my two cents...

nobody's trying to limit what someone can ask, nor the type of questions here in the forums. What we are trying to do is point out that asking these questions in this forum, in this format, under these circumstances, is likely to give him answers that don't help him, and may well make things worse for him. These are the types of questions that he needs to get the answers from his instructor, not a bunch of people on the internet who he doesn't even know, and whose judgement and knowledge he cannot rely on as even trustworthy (yes, I include myself in that, he doesn't know me and has no reason to trust me either).

I don't believe his 14 years of experience is necessarily a benefit here. It might be, it might not be. Most likely what he has done for 14 years is different from kenpo, and he's in enough of a beginner stage with his kenpo that he'll probably default into doing his kenpo like whatever else it was he has done for the last 14 years. Instead, he should learn his kenpo according to the standards and methodologies of kenpo, as established by his instructor.

He came on here and asked questions. A couple of us gave answers that maybe some people, including him, don't like to hear. So fine, ignore our advice. But our advice was given with good intentions, and what amazes me is the level of indignation that people get, when they receive advice that they were not hoping to get, even tho they asked for advice. We gave the best advice we had to give, and we gave it with the best intentions. He doesn't need to listen to us.

So fine, he's welcome to learn his kenpo thru the internet. And we all wonder why kenpo and all other martial arts today suck, with only a very few individual exceptions.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
since I'm in Doc's camp here, I'll chip in my two cents...

nobody's trying to limit what someone can ask, nor the type of questions here in the forums. What we are trying to do is point out that asking these questions in this forum, in this format, under these circumstances, is likely to give him answers that don't help him, and may well make things worse for him. These are the types of questions that he needs to get the answers from his instructor, not a bunch of people on the internet who he doesn't even know, and whose judgement and knowledge he cannot rely on as even trustworthy (yes, I include myself in that, he doesn't know me and has no reason to trust me either).

I don't believe his 14 years of experience is necessarily a benefit here. It might be, it might not be. Most likely what he has done for 14 years is different from kenpo, and he's in enough of a beginner stage with his kenpo that he'll probably default into doing his kenpo like whatever else it was he has done for the last 14 years. Instead, he should learn his kenpo according to the standards and methodologies of kenpo, as established by his instructor.

He came on here and asked questions. A couple of us gave answers that maybe some people, including him, don't like to hear. So fine, ignore our advice. But our advice was given with good intentions, and what amazes me is the level of indignation that people get, when they receive advice that they were not hoping to get, even tho they asked for advice. We gave the best advice we had to give, and we gave it with the best intentions. He doesn't need to listen to us.

So fine, he's welcome to learn his kenpo thru the internet. And we all wonder why kenpo and all other martial arts today suck, with only a very few individual exceptions.

You covered all my bases. :)

I'll just say, that I personally answer questions for the expressed purposes of helping people and sharing a point of view. If I don't think a reply will serve that purpose, what is the point? Not trying to limit anyone, but the one thing I will do is retain mastership of my own replies.