Shielding Hammer and fwd movement

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo
What magazine is it (Title, month)? I may have to pick it up.
E-mail me and I'll send it to you. Just realize it cannot be reproduced because it was sold to the magazine.

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Handsword said:
The techniques "Shielding Hammer" and "Sword of Destruction" both have the same base move (outward extended block) dealing with the same attack (left roundhouse punch). And most kenpo systems teach these within the first couple of best (Yellow and Orange).

My question is - would any variation need to be made to Shielding Hammer if the first move involved a forward step into the right neutral bow instead of a backwards step?

The reason I ask this is because I can see benefits in teaching S of D as a backwards step - making use of a beginner's natural reaction to move away from an attack, and then using the kick to regain range. And Shielding Hammer could be taught as a forward step against the same attack (giving the student another option with the first step).

I learned the extension of Shielding Hammer with a forward step. As long as you have your left hand up checking, if you as me it really dosen't matter. But for begginers sake, teach them to step back.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
parkerkarate said:
I learned the extension of Shielding Hammer with a forward step. As long as you have your left hand up checking, if you as me it really dosen't matter. But for begginers sake, teach them to step back.
Agreed.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Latest Discussions