surefire flashlights...

Apollo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, it is a good suggestion. I have.

Getting back to the flashlights, is there really a good reason to spend that kind of coin on a "tactical" light, or will my $25 Mag work just as well?

BTW: Good stuff Phil.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-That works both ways. Have you pressure tested them to prove they work effectively? I pressure test as much as my training time allows.

Yes, sharpie point to the solar plexus - similiar to a pocket stick. About 1/5 the force had the same effect as an empty hand uppercut - and I got to stay an extra 18-20 inches from the assailant. Yes, I've pressure tested empty hand uppercuts - I boxed in college.

No, I must disagree about your willingness to pressure test your assertions. Technopunk made a great suggestion to earlier in this thread and your unwillingness to try it suggests to me that you don't think pressure testing is worthwhile.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Apollo said:
Yes, but one can resist longer when a blunt object is not present and perhaps counter. It seems that you rely on speculation in alot of your comments. You might want to consider testing your techniques out sometime in a realistic manner. It'll show you your blind spots quite rapidly.
-Maybe. That's certainly a possibility. That's still not much of an argument for pocketr sticks strategically.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Yes, sharpie point to the solar plexus - similiar to a pocket stick. About 1/5 the force had the same effect as an empty-hand upercut - and I got to stay an extra 18 inches from the assailant. Yes, I've pressure tested empty hand uppercuts - I boxed in college.

No, I must disagree about your willingness to pressure test your assertions. Technopunk made a great suggestion to earlier in this thread and your unwillingness to try it suggests to me that you don't think pressure testing is worthwhile.
-How in the world did you quantify "1/5 the force". That is very subjective. I pressure test everything I do, every time I train.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-How in the world did you quantify "1/5 the force". That is very subjective. I pressure test everything I do, every time I train.

Easy. I used a friend's meter long enough to be able to guage my level of force fairly accurately.

You have seen such meters? They used to be very popular. Personally, I don't like "intellectual martial arts" of the type you seem to be espousing. I like to test things to see if they work.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Apollo said:
Well, it is a good suggestion. I have.

Getting back to the flashlights, is there really a good reason to spend that kind of coin on a "tactical" light, or will my $25 Mag work just as well?

BTW: Good stuff Phil.
-The Sure-Fires are light years (pun intended!) ahead of MagLites. There are plenty of other high quality lights to choose from other that Sure-Fire too.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Easy. I used a friend's meter long enough to be able to guage my level of force fairly accurately.

You have seen such meters? They used to be very popular. Personally, I don't like "intellectual martial arts" of the type you seem to be espousing. I like to test things to see if they work.
-What kind of "meter"? And what do you mean by "effect"?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-What kind of "meter"? And what do you mean by "effect"?

Meters:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Century-Karate-Martial-Arts-PowerLine-Force-Shield-Used_W0QQitemZ7201561129QQcategoryZ36281QQcmdZViewItem

Effect: he didn't get into the building where I was loading (and marking with Sharpies) boxes. Doubled over, but uninjured.

You see, this is one of the quarrels I have with academic or what I call "intellectual" martial arts - an unwillingness to PRESSURE TEST assertions. To use a term that I've heard elsewhere, it seems a bit "bullshido" to me and not effective martial arts at all.

On Edit: bullshido is a recently coined term that means ineffective martial arts.

Apollo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Meters:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Century-Karate-Martial-Arts-PowerLine-Force-Shield-Used_W0QQitemZ7201561129QQcategoryZ36281QQcmdZViewItem

Effect: he didn't get into the building where I was loading (and marking with Sharpies) boxes. Doubled over, but uninjured.

You see, this is one of the quarrels I have with academic or what I call "intellectual" martial arts - an unwillingness to PRESSURE TEST assertions. To use a term that I've hear elsewhere, it seems a bit bullshido to me and not effective martial arts.

On Edit: bullshido is a coined term to mean ineffective martial arts.
Seen those. Saw something similar at a faire once.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:

You haven't pressure tested SD sticks - yet continue to make these blind assertions regarding their effectiveness. I call BULLSHIDO on you.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Meters:

You see, this is one of the quarrels I have with academic or what I call "intellectual" martial arts - an unwillingness to PRESSURE TEST assertions. To use a term that I've heard elsewhere, it seems a bit "bullshido" to me and not effective martial arts.

On Edit: bullshido is a recently coined term that means ineffective martial arts.
-So the "meter" you used has 2 whole levels of measuring? LOL. And your actual situation is 100% subjective to boot. And since when do you uppercut to the solar plexus? And you had an 18 inch sharpie? That you pocket carry? Something doesn't add up.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
You haven't pressure tested SD sticks - yet continue to make these blind assertions regarding their effectiveness. I call BULLSHIDO on you.
-No I haven't. And your story of "pressure testing" has a bunch of holes in it.

Apollo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Again though, your input on the effectiveness of these weapons isn't really useful, since you aren't familiar with them and don't train/test with them.
I've seen similar meters like that one that read off the impact numerically. Tend to be a little picky though, and you have to hit them right. Just like nailing a pressure point. "rofl:

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-So the "meter" you used has 2 whole levels of measuring? LOL. And your actual situation is 100% subjective to boot. And since when do you uppercut to the solar plexus? And you had an 18 inch sharpie? That you pocket carry? Something doesn't add up.

Uppercuts are generally delivered (if they are the first technique and not a follow up from a right) from the rear arm - thus limiting extension. When you are bent over (labeling boxes), a right cross doesn't have as much force - unless your area of attack is small (the cap of a Sharpie). Do some measuring, the inches add up.

Meters measure in pounds. I've used a kubotan and fists on my friend's (don't recommend full power with a kubotan or SD stick - the force will damage the meter). Come on, man up. You won't try Techno's suggestion because you know he's right - someone properly trained with a SD stick would knock you out.

Apollo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Considering this is in the Ninjutsu area, I have to ask you Ronin, what training do you have in this art? I see you're BJJ brown belt, which is pretty decent. But how familiar are you with Ninjutsu? Seems that one should be somewhat familiar with those arts to comment on their techniques.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Apollo said:
Again though, your input on the effectiveness of these weapons isn't really useful, since you aren't familiar with them and don't train/test with them.
I've seen similar meters like that one that read off the impact numerically. Tend to be a little picky though, and you have to hit them right. Just like nailing a pressure point. "rofl:
-I believe pocket sticks to be not that effective. I've stated why I believe that. Again they are minor force concentrators (I won't use "mutipliers anymore because that's not the case) that fit poorly into civilian SD strategy. Those here that believe in their effectiveness have argued with less.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
And they are?
-You have no way of knowing how hard you performed the strike other than speculation. How does a sharpie in hand allow you to reamin "18-20 inches" further away than without one?

Latest Discussions