surefire flashlights...

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Apollo said:
True. But if it was your temple on the impact zone, one would knock you loopier, the other possibly kill you.

But, we're not talking a fine point item such as an ice pick. We're talking about a blunt force impact from a close to knife hand thickness. I recall Remy Presas being quoted as saying "Hardwoods are for killing". Well, since metal is normally harder than wood, it would (get it would, ha ha) stand to reason that getting hit in the head with a maglight or similar could be dangerous, even deadly. Blunt force has killed more historically than edged weapons. (which is why some swords weren't sharpened).
-I'm not arguing against full sized Maglites. I'm arguing against pocket sticks. MiniMag sized SD toys.

Apollo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-No argument from me on a pocket stick hurting more. My argument is that it is not enough to be the deciding factor.
Next time you roll, let your opponent have a pair. Feeling is believing.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Apollo said:
Strategically - they can be used to target pressure points and other soft targets.

Tactically - Any tool requires proper familarity and training. Your comments reveal you do not have either though.
-Targeting pressure points and soft targets is fine for a LEO arresting a midly resisting suspect. NOT a determined attacker.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-Targeting pressure points and soft targets is fine for a LEO arresting a midly resisting suspect. NOT a determined attacker.

Have you pressure tested this?

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Apollo said:
Next time you roll, let your opponent have a pair. Feeling is believing.
-I would argue that I'd end up with a bunch of bruises and maybe bleeding. It would still not be the deciding factor of the outcome.

Apollo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Define "determined".
Are we talking about the average street thug, an armed assailant, a mcdojo student, a sport fighter, or Bruce Lee on acid? :lol:

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-I would argue that I'd end up with a bunch of bruises and maybe bleeding. It would still not be the deciding factor of the outcome.

Yes, but HAVE YOU PRESSURE TESTED THIS?

Apollo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
But, unless you have tested that, you don't know that for certain.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
-Yes. I have been hit, poked, prodded, and squeezed on practically every inch of my body while sparring and/or fighting. I have never been knocked out or submitted from pressure points.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Apollo said:
But, unless you have tested that, you don't know that for certain.
-I don't with absolute certainty. It is speculation on my part. Just like it is on yours.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-Yes. I have been hit, poked, prodded, and squeezed on practically every inch of my body while sparring and/or fighting. I have never been knocked out or submitted from pressure points.

With a metal stick? I bet you would be knocked out with one. Of course this is just academic speculation because you are unwilling to follow Technopunk's advice and PRESSURE TEST IT!

Apollo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
But was that by someone a-using some form of pocket stick, and b-who knew how to use them?

Oh, and c-did any of them use a mag lite? :lol:

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apollo said:
But was that by someone a-using some form of pocket stick, and b-who knew how to use them?

Oh, and c-did any of them use a mag lite? :lol:

It may only be my perception, but Roninpimp seems to make assertions regarding the martial arts without having the willingness to pressure test them.

Apollo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-I don't with absolute certainty. It is speculation on my part. Just like it is on yours.
Nope. I train realistically, and have been choked out by punos, finger locked to the point of tip toeing, choked out with stick, baton, pocket stick and other assorted objects, etc. I have tested it, and when used correctly, they do work, very well. As to flashlights, I've been hit in the head with rattan. I try to avoid anything harder. That whole, hard to manage a server with only half a brain. (I'm not a Microsoft person. :lol:)

Apollo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
It may only be my perception, but Roninpimp seems to make assertions regarding the martial arts without having the willingness to pressure test them.
Alot of people are.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Apollo said:
Define "determined".
Are we talking about the average street thug, an armed assailant, a mcdojo student, a sport fighter, or Bruce Lee on acid? :lol:
-Someone that has the mindset and physical ability to beat your ***. If they do, no pocket stick will help. If they don't, you don't need the pocket stick.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-Someone that has the mindset and physical ability to beat your ***. If they do, no pocket stick will help. If they don't, you don't need the pocket stick.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Apollo said:
Nope. I train realistically, and have been choked out by punos, finger locked to the point of tip toeing, choked out with stick, baton, pocket stick and other assorted objects, etc. I have tested it, and when used correctly, they do work, very well. As to flashlights, I've been hit in the head with rattan. I try to avoid anything harder. That whole, hard to manage a server with only half a brain. (I'm not a Microsoft person. :lol:)
-If you got choked out by a pocket stick you were in a position to be choked out without one.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
-That works both ways. Have you pressure tested them to prove they work effectively? I pressure test as much as my training time allows.

Apollo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-If you got choked out by a pocket stick you were in a position to be choked out without one.
Yes, but one can resist longer when a blunt object is not present and perhaps counter. It seems that you rely on speculation in alot of your comments. You might want to consider testing your techniques out sometime in a realistic manner. It'll show you your blind spots quite rapidly.

Latest Discussions