surefire flashlights...

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have an E2D and an E2E. True to it's purpose, the E2D is slightly more powerful, but will probably be slightly more stigmatized in the eyes of the law due to it's name being written on it.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've written an entire book on the topic of using such flashlights for self-defense. There are several articles on that and related topics at The Martialist.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm glad you enjoyed them. Paladin Press is now selling my book on the topic, too -- Flashlight Fighting. You'll find it under "new books," at least this month.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
I have an E2D and an E2E. True to it's purpose, the E2D is slightly more powerful, but will probably be slightly more stigmatized in the eyes of the law due to it's name being written on it.

That's nothing a Dremel can't fix ;)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
wow... $110 for a flashlight... I've seen alot of overpriced canes too lately. Is it just me, or can you slap the label "defense" on an item and jack up the price? I've got a handful of flashlights that could effectively be used as a weapon, what makes this one worth about 10x the price? it looks like a regular metal flashlight w/ a bright bulb and a little metal work..

nimvarus, you mentioned you had one... do you think its worth that price?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have an Inova X5T as well, and it seems like it would hold up better than any of the Surefires for repeatingly hitting someone with it. On the other hand, the E2D will be more useful as a distraction by it's brightness alone.
If I had to pick one I would probably choose the Inova.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The higher prices are usually related to brightness -- the more you pay, the more potentially temporarily blinding lumens you get. You will normally pay more for SureFires simply because they are the lights most in demand (they are also well made and the choice of many armed professionals).

One other factor driving the prices of SureFires is that the company restricts sales to only those sellers who also have brick-and-mortar establishments. This effectively cuts out Internet dealers who, having less overhead, can charge prices barely above cost and still make a profit.

The Inova X5 is a nice little light and a great striking implement, but it has nowhere near the brightness of an E2D.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a Surefire C2 Centruina wrapped using the metod from Phil's sight. At lwast I think thats were I saw it.

I carry it regularly, and like Phil said its brightness that jacks up the expense. This thing is about the same size as a Mini Mag light (slightly shorter and bigger around) and it is brighter than the 4 D cell that I also have.

flashlighsmall.jpg

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Despite what any new book or internet buzz says about flashlights, they aren't much of a self defense tool. Handy to have? Yes. Effective against a determined attacker? No.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Even strikes into muscles can have an impressive effect; the principle is the same as those on which palm sticks work. Any rigid striking implement is an extremely effective self-defense tool in educated hands.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have a "baton-light" made by Streamlight that has a push button on the end for momentary illumination, twist the end cap for constant on/ off and can be hooked onto a keychain (very important to me for easy access).

If an attacker isn't blinded by the light then it acts as a very nice kubotan.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes, pocket stick sized flashlights are as effective as pocket sticks. Which imo isn't very much.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
Yes, pocket stick sized flashlights are as effective as pocket sticks. Which imo isn't very much.

Here is an extensive article on the chizikunbo. As far as flashlights are concerned, all of the atemi-waza would directly transfer.

http://www.donrearic.com/koppostick2.html

Simple physics would dictate that this would be a good weapon. P = F/A

Where P = Pressure, F = Force, and A = Area. If one can apply force with a strike AND reduce the surface area that is striking, then one is going to apply MUCH more pressure to the area struck. Pressure is nothing but applied force...and against a determined attacker, that is something that really matters...obviously.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
Simple physics dictates they increase force. Nothing more.

I'll take what I can get. Given the choice between hitting someone with my hand or hitting them with my surefire 6p, I will take the surefire. If you are able to hit with a shuto, fudoken or koppoken, you can use the surefire in the same manner. Not to mention the Edo Koppo stuff. If you don't have the taijutsu to get to the other guy or do things like gansekinage, it is just useless. I think a better term for these types of things would be force multipliers rather than weapons.

But aside from their advantages of physics and ability to blind the other guy, perhaps their biggest appeal is in the fact that they are so usefull in everyday life that you are more likely to have it in your pocket even when you have left your "weapons" at home. I sometimes leave the house without my pepper spray, but my surefire is almost always in the left pocket of my jacket. I can get harrased pretty easily by the police in Japan for just about anything suspicious. But I really doubt they would drag me down to the station because I had a flashlight on me.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
Despite what any new book or internet buzz says about flashlights, they aren't much of a self defense tool. Handy to have? Yes. Effective against a determined attacker? No.
Less effective than what? Tools are simply what they are tools. Here is a simple tool, legal in all 50 states and likely even legal in the UK. Certainly less effective than a hand gun but none the less a potentially helpful tool. Personally I wouldn't turn down any edge, even a small one in a confrontation with a determined attacker.

Jeff

Latest Discussions