Stretching

B

Bagatha

Someone recently told me that in order to acheive serious results when stretching you should go to the point of feeling pain. This person is a former gymnast. Im just wondering what everyone elses views are on this?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I certainly believe that you have to feel the stretch for it to do you any good. So, while "pain" isn't the word I'd want to use, I more or less agree.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

I certainly believe that you have to feel the stretch for it to do you any good. So, while "pain" isn't the word I'd want to use, I more or less agree.

I agree...'pain' is bad. Maybe stretch to the point of discomfort. :D

Cthulhu

OP
D

daniel_r

Im in agreement too, it shouldnt be painful

OP
B

Bagatha

No she was very clear, it has to be painfull. I have done that, but it took over a week to recover, Im reluctant to say I tore a muscle but Im sure it wasnt too far off. constanty doing that? I personally dont know if you could ever see results, I mean afterward, I tightened up SO bad. I had less flexibility that I had before. (until I recovered)

OP
D

daniel_r

That cant be good for you tho.... a bit of discomfort maybe but not a week long recovry

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Stretching to pain will get results quicker, but only if you know how to do it... Its not something that any intelligent human being will advise because each person is different and who knows if when you damage something it will actually heal... Some people have pulled muscles and it didn't repair right and they just can't do some of the things that they did before... so take your ability to heal into account before trying to do something silly like that.

I know that it works and results will come quicker because that is how I developed my flexibility. I was being stupid in the snow and my legs flew apart and I landed in a split. Yeah, it hurt pretty bad. I don't know if I tore anything, but it took a while to heal... however I continued to stretch through the pain. If you don't stretch of course you are going to heal and be tighter... but if you stretch AS you heal, the body will heal with the ability to move in that range of motion. Ever since I did that and healed I've been able to do a full split. There have been times when I went a year without really stretching, but after an hour of warming my muscles up and doing light stretches I was able to drop into a split with only minor discomfort. Understand that I had a high pain tolerance and was a little sadistic in my youth. It worked for me... I'm insane and I'm unique. Good chance it wouldn't work for you.

**Disclaimer** This is for your reading pleasure. I do not in any way advise that you try it. I nor the owners and administrators of this board will not be held responsible if you hurt yourself.

The best way to develop flexibility is to take your time when you stretch, but stretch lightly once or twice a day. As everyone else has stated, only go to the point of discomfort. Most people involved with fitness say that you shouldn't hold the stretch at that point for more than a 15 count.

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

When I began stretching I could barely touch my knees. It really is better if you do some kind of warm-up before you begin stretching such as jumping jacks or jumping rope or something. When your muscles are warm they stretch better. Then by doing joint rotations you will libricate the joints which will also help. Then I usually do my stretching routine to where I kinda feel tightness. I'll hold it for 15 seconds then I'll push it a little farther to where it feels uncomfortable for an additional 5 seconds. In two-and-a-half weeks I was able to grab the ball of my foot, after stretching every day for an hour.

I hear alot of people say that they hate to stretch, but I think it feels awesome when I'm done with a stretch.

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

There's a really good article on stretching, in the library section at the top of this page.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that you should stretch to the "discomfort" point, not pain. I went from not being flexible at all. I mean, I couldn't kick above my knee if I wanted :mad: Now I can almost do splits. I stretch to the point of discompfort and hold the stretch for 10 seconds, breath deeply (inhale and exhale) and when I exhaled, I'd try to go lower, but not to the point of pain, and hold it for 10 more seconds. The most important thing is not to stretch "cold". Do a few jumping jacks, or run in place, or jump rope to get the blood flowing first. Find what works for you. Everyone's body is different, and this is what works for me.

OP
B

Bagatha

No well obviously you dont want to do it cold, I mean that is a recipe for disaster, I was just wondering what everyones take on the "pain" was. Tks for the responses.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

AS far as stretching goes, I know that gymnists and ballet dancers all hold their stretch positions for about 5 minutes each, slowly increasing the stretch the whole time. They also stetch to the point of little pain. And these are some of the most flexible people out there.

You really must regualte your breathing when stetching. I know there are certain positions that restrict the breathing, but as a whole... breathing really coincides with the pain. If you regulate your breathing to almost a meditative state, there is no pain because your blood is flowing freely throughout your body.

Plus this type of pain stetching has more memory to it. Your body will stay flexible longer than taking it easy.

For example, there is a 63yr old male student whom never was able to touch his toes or come anywhere near the splits. Some of my students who are 35, 45, and 60 all complain about their being old, and telling me I don't know how it is. Well, I'm a young teacher, so maybe I don't, but I always tell them they are as old as they think they are. Anyways, this 63yr old student... let's just call him Mack, asked me how important stretching was to TKD, realizing that his flexibility was hindering his technique potential. I told him that TKD is done best with Maximum flexibilty. I always help my students out when stretching, and I would always take it easy on Mack, until he told me he wanted to touch the floor w/ his splits no matter what. Big surprise to me, I thought he was nuts! I didn't want him to break a hip or anything, so I refused at first. Then he explained his situation, and told me how bad he wanted it. So next time we did the splits in class, he asked me to push him all the way to the floor... and I did, a loud pop sound came from his joints, and he was in the splits and couldn't get out. We helped Mack up, he had to sit out and watch class as he could no longer participate. About 3 weeks went by, and he was taking it easy on stretching, doing what little he could, and had went to the doctor to make sure nothing was broken. Towards the end of the 3rd week, he finally felt that he was able to fully stretch, and low and behold, this 63 yr old man, who has never done the splits in his lifetime, now had perfect splits!!! And he's had them ever since!!! He has the nicest vertical side kick! I always use him as an example to all my students whom take stretching lightly. I feel, if Mack can gain perfect splits from almost nothing AT HIS AGE... then anybody can.

It all depends on how bad you want flexibility, and how much youa re willing to put into it. Now I'm not going to say I DON"T recommend doing something like this, because obviously it worked for Mack... but its all about personal preference and perserverance.

I just thought I'd share my story with you guys. I hope I've inspired some of you to put more effort into stretching, its very important and can prevent injury. I'm all for it.... Good Luck to everyone.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya Thunder Foot.

Good story :) I can almost do splits at 27 after not being able to even touch my toes, like Mack, when I first started MA. But it took me a year to do that.

The only problem with my new school is that they don't "hold" the stretch long enough (5 seconds at the most and go back and forth like that between each leg). I believe (besides Macks idea) if you hold a stretch, you can get more flexible quicker as well as gaining strength (longer muscles) at the same time. So, I learned to stretch by myself before class.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by karatekid1975

Hiya Thunder Foot.
The only problem with my new school is that they don't "hold" the stretch long enough (5 seconds at the most and go back and forth like that between each leg). I believe (besides Macks idea) if you hold a stretch, you can get more flexible quicker as well as gaining strength (longer muscles) at the same time. So, I learned to stretch by myself before class.

If you're stretching just to 'limber up', 5 seconds per leg isn't terrible, though about 15 seconds would be better. I've read in several sources that when stretching for flexibility, go for about 45 seconds per stretch.

I know a gymnast who would get into a split position and do something like watch a movie. He couldn't move very well afterwards, but it eventually helped him with his flexibility.

I need to get off my butt and stretch more...not to develop high kicks, but to make my lowline kicks that much better.

Cthulhu

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Originally posted by karatekid1975

Hiya Thunder Foot.

Good story :) I can almost do splits at 27 after not being able to even touch my toes, like Mack, when I first started MA. But it took me a year to do that.

Hello karatekid1975, nice to meet you.

Thats great!! I always recommend stretching at home, despite how much a school might stretch. I think the best time to stretch is in the morning when you wake up, and at nite before you go to sleep. But the most important factor is maintaining the schedule you set for yourself. As long as you do that, you'll eventually have the splits you want. And you are right, the flexibility will last longer as you gain more dexterity.

One tip I always tell my younger students (don't laugh), is to stretch while they are watching TV. I tell thenn to see how many tv commercials they can hold their stretch for, then once the show resumes, to take a break. I mean, what else can you use commercials for? No one really wants to watch them.
:asian: :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ThuNder_FoOt

One tip I always tell my younger students (don't laugh), is to stretch while they are watching TV.

Good advice! I remember doing this. In fact, George Dillman said at a recent seminar he that perfected his full splits by first doing stretching during commercials and holding as full a split as he could manage, then doing them during the show and resting during the commercials!

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Thank you arnisador.

I also hear that static flexibilty will allow you to be more flexible at all hours. The only type of static exercises I teach are, holding a leg up in different kicking positions, and continous kicking with the same leg. Does anyone know any other good static flexibility exercises that can be done? This information would be much appreciated.:asian: :asian:

OP
S

sweeper

isn't holding a leg up and repeted kicking active flexibility?

I have a freind who used to be a gymnast and alot of the training they did I think was realy dammaging. You realy don't see alot of older gymnasts do you?

Was wondering how many people use isometric contractions in stretching or something like PNF excersises?

Latest Discussions