Stretching

OP
B

Bagatha

I tried it for about a month, then I noticed that I got the same results if I stretched after working out (weights). As long as my muscless were totally fatigued they could offer no resistance, going along the same principals of PNF. In that particular case, Isometrics werent necissary.

OP
S

sweeper

how about the other claims that isometric contractions during a stretch can help strengthen connective tissue?

OP
B

Bagatha

I shoudl do a search on that....interesting point. I dont know. maybe. Im not sure how that works exactly. (how to strengthing connective tissue).

OP
W

WaterCircleHarmony

My instructor has told me that in order to reap the benefits of stretching you have to stretch to the point when your leg muscles are offering a resistance just like if you were doing a bicep curl and holding the extended position.

the muscle in your arm would be stretched but they would also offer a little contraction to resist the stretch. this is what you should be aiming for in the legs. however this still means that you should relax during stretching.

OP
O

OldBean

Thunder_Foot,
Forgive me but I think you were lucky with that 60 year old.
I think you were wrong and irresponsible to try it - it could have caused serious damage to the bloke.

Static stretching can be good for some people but dynamic stretching is more suited to your art and is what you need for high kicking - try www.stadion.com and read Tom Kurtz articles - he's a TKD man as well.

Also it's important to ensure that muscles are strong enough before stretching particularly with isometrics or plyometrics.

Sorry to be so hard on you, I think an injury is waiting to happen at your dojo.

OP
F

fissure

I agree with Old Bean - it could have ended very badly!
As a side note, after 20+ yrs of MA training I am not even close to a full split.However, at a hight of 6 feet I can easily kick taller students head level with my side and round kicks. Splits are great but fuctional head level kicks are better! Even with a high degree of flexability, the small muscles of the hips must be trained to attain powerfull high kicking tech.

Latest Discussions