Question about an injury

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I recently got thrown from a horse and sprained my back very badly and it twisted my spine up so now I wear a brace to help relieve some pain. And I was wondering, is there any kind of stretching or techniques I could practice in Taekwondo that I could do that wouldn't cause strain on my back from the injury? Because I feel like if I don't practice while I'm still healing I will lose some skill or technique in that time during the healing process. Or do you think I should just let it heal before I get back to it?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is not the place to ask this. Many of the posters do not have medical training, or specifically sport-injury/rehab training, and those that do, have not seen your back to be able to provide specific advice on what stretches can help.

Back injuries are incredibly serious, and being thrown from a horse could be anything from a simple sprain, to a shift in spinal alignment, to a direct fracture or damage to a disk. Obviously, this is not me saying any of those happened, or none, I'm sure your doctor already knows the extent of your injury.
These are questions for you to ask your doctor or, if he thinks you are appropriate to stretch, and wants to rehab you for sports/functional purposes, a therapist that he refers (or one you like, who is in contact with the doctor's office to know exactly what your injuries are).

Anyone who offers you advice for this from a forum, whether here, reddit, facebook or tiktok, does not know your situation and by that alone is not qualified to provide you advice. Whatever advice they give may help, but could also cause bigger problems. And back problems are not something you should take that chance with.

Even someone saying "let it heal before you do anything" is not qualified to say that. They may very well be correct, and you need rest and ice, or you may need to slowly stretch it out, while heating in between. Or something else entirely. The point is, we do not know, without examining and working with you directly.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently got thrown from a horse and sprained my back very badly and it twisted my spine up so now I wear a brace to help relieve some pain. And I was wondering, is there any kind of stretching or techniques I could practice in Taekwondo that I could do that wouldn't cause strain on my back from the injury? Because I feel like if I don't practice while I'm still healing I will lose some skill or technique in that time during the healing process. Or do you think I should just let it heal before I get back to it?
I've been thrown from a horse before, and was injured very badly. Double non compound fracture, ulna and radius.

I spent a few months in a cast unable to use my left arm. Got a pass on a typing course in high school, though, so I reckon things balanced out. Wasn't until I got the cast off and saw my atrophied (Tyrannosaur-like) forearm that I even began the road to recovery.

Martial arts training and serious skeletal or muscular injuries are mutually exclusive. As in dont. Granted, I'm not a medical doctor, but that's the damn truth no matter what anyone, including medical professionals tell you.

With that said, how long you been riding, dude?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To echo other posts -- you need actual medical advice and guidance, followed by professional physical therapy. Way too many things can go wrong with internet experts giving advice. It may help you to hear that I've broken my back (compression fracture of 2 vertebrae), and ruptured a disc significantly, and with proper medical treatment and therapy, I'm fine today.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
To reinforce above sentiments. Knowing a lot about exercise in general is no the same as knowing a lot about specific injuries and what types of physical therapy can facilitate healing for those injuries. That is what you need a doctor and physical therapist for. Trying to do too much too soon can be counterproductive. - or worse.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
***Not a doctor*** This is 100% a question for you medical professionals. Have you started any kind of physical therapy yet? This would seem the normal course of action.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been thrown from a horse before, and was injured very badly. Double non compound fracture, ulna and radius.

I spent a few months in a cast unable to use my left arm. Got a pass on a typing course in high school, though, so I reckon things balanced out. Wasn't until I got the cast off and saw my atrophied (Tyrannosaur-like) forearm that I even began the road to recovery.

Martial arts training and serious skeletal or muscular injuries are mutually exclusive. As in dont. Granted, I'm not a medical doctor, but that's the damn truth no matter what anyone, including medical professionals tell you.

With that said, how long you been riding, dude?
Okay, thank you. I'll take that into consideration. I've been riding for a few years now. And I'm not a dude.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is not the place to ask this. Many of the posters do not have medical training, or specifically sport-injury/rehab training, and those that do, have not seen your back to be able to provide specific advice on what stretches can help.

Back injuries are incredibly serious, and being thrown from a horse could be anything from a simple sprain, to a shift in spinal alignment, to a direct fracture or damage to a disk. Obviously, this is not me saying any of those happened, or none, I'm sure your doctor already knows the extent of your injury.
These are questions for you to ask your doctor or, if he thinks you are appropriate to stretch, and wants to rehab you for sports/functional purposes, a therapist that he refers (or one you like, who is in contact with the doctor's office to know exactly what your injuries are).

Anyone who offers you advice for this from a forum, whether here, reddit, facebook or tiktok, does not know your situation and by that alone is not qualified to provide you advice. Whatever advice they give may help, but could also cause bigger problems. And back problems are not something you should take that chance with.

Even someone saying "let it heal before you do anything" is not qualified to say that. They may very well be correct, and you need rest and ice, or you may need to slowly stretch it out, while heating in between. Or something else entirely. The point is, we do not know, without examining and working with you directly.
I know this isn't really the place to ask that. But I figured I'm not the only one who's struggled with a back injury, so I thought if someone else on here has then they could give some advice. I just don't want to be back to square one in my Taekwondo training because of this.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know this isn't really the place to ask that. But I figured I'm not the only one who's struggled with a back injury, so I thought if someone else on here has then they could give some advice. I just don't want to be back to square one in my Taekwondo training because of this.
Back injuries can vary a lot person to person. You're correct, in that I can think of at least 3 posters who have had back injuries (one of them is me). But all 3 injuries required/require different treatment, and what I do for my back would probably be horrible for your situation.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It's cool.

I'm in Orlando, Florida at the moment and I've seen several men call each other "queen" just today.

My preferred pronoun is "it".
Ah ok. That's cool, very very unusual, but okay.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember Martial Arts is a lifelong pursuit. Be patient, heal, get the professional medical attention you need. Taekwondo has been around for awhile now, it isn't going anywhere.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dude is a unisex term. Because "dudette" sounds goofy.
Off-topic, but whenever my young daughter asks why I don't say "dude" or "bruh", I tell her it's because I went to university.

To me, these terms are by and for teens.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Off-topic, but whenever my young daughter asks why I don't say "dude" or "bruh", I tell her it's because I went to university.

To me, these terms are by and for teens.
You must not be American. We use dude here all the time, all generations.

Once upon a time it meant someone who dressed funny compared to the more practical, rough folk. Nowadays, it's colloqial.

Have you never seen The Big Lebowski? Sam Elliot and Jeff Bridges?

To be called a dude in America is considered a badge of honor, no matter who you are. It's basically "sir" or "ma'am", but like I said, unisexual.

Latest Discussions