Question about an injury

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know what, believe what you want. I don't care anymore. Science doesn't always explain everything. This isn't even really related to martial arts, so what's the point in discussing this.
It's not a belief. And science does explain. But you're correct, it's not really related to your injury, and you've been provided the correct information, so no point continuing that.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Only in my off hours.

Most of the time, I'm a chef. A really good one.

Right now I'm soaking some chicken breasts in an olive oil and spice mixture, worrying about my choice of baking powder because it contains sodium aluminum sulfate. But I know I can compensate for that with some sugar, cumin, and salt.

Weird to kids, sure, but you know what? Everyone loves my cooking, and I learned to cook through Kung Fu.

One of my driving students once asked how old I was, and when I told her she said "well thats a creepy age". Dumped her right back on her parents driveway, never returned their calls.

Teens, dude.
How did you learn to cook through Kung Fu? Also, is that the martial art you do? Kung Fu?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't recall not using unisex words. I just was saying that I know what that means.
Double negative. So this sentence means that you DO use unisex words, which directly contradicts your earlier statement in post #14 of this thread. Whoooops.

As for "dude", it's hardly a term your generation can claim. We used it when I was a kid (and I still use it). And I have grandkids older than you. It's been in use (with the usual definition-drift) since at least the late 19th Century. It originally meant a male who dressed up extra fancy. Today, it just means 'person'. The sentences "Hey dude, what's up?", "Hey Terry, what's up?", and "Hey man, what's up?" are functionally identical, and none tells anything about the age or gender of the person speaking, nor the person addressed.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yankee Doodly Dandy
Aka Dude :D
Been around for a while.
>
Yes it could be childish, and as an insult, or friendship or gender neutral greeting, or even a question.
It is what it is.
If I do not accept the color red, and thereby ignore it, I still have to live with everyone else using red.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yankee Doodly Dandy
Aka Dude :D
Been around for a while.
>
Yes it could be childish, and as an insult, or friendship or gender neutral greeting, or even a question.
It is what it is.
If I do not accept the color red, and thereby ignore it, I still have to live with everyone else using red.
Well, Rich, you do sometimes have a talent for making other see red... :) I kid! I kid!

The discussion on dude is a bit of a digression... but it's as good as any other catch all term in English for a group of others, without regard to gender. Maybe "you-uns" or "you'se guys" would be preferred?

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
No I'm not, clearly you know nothing about me. You can't just sit there and make assumptions about me without knowing anything about me.
He can and he is. And that is okay.
I doubt you will understand this but, it is refreshing to see how passionate you are at that age. And the ignorance we all had at 16. I do not mean that condescendingly, but this is one of those moments you may look back on in 20 or 30 years and laugh at yourself.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, Rich, you do sometimes have a talent for making other see red... :) I kid! I kid!

The discussion on dude is a bit of a digression... but it's as good as any other catch all term in English for a group of others, without regard to gender. Maybe "you-uns" or "you'se guys" would be preferred?
The F bomb is so utilitarian, it's used in about a thousand different contexts globally.

And recent studies have suggested that people who use it for literally everything might be smarter than those who don't, contrary to everything I was ever taught about the F word.

That said, the F word was exactly what cameout of my mouth when I got thrown from that horse and broke two bones clean through. Over and over.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Double negative. So this sentence means that you DO use unisex words, which directly contradicts your earlier statement in post #14 of this thread. Whoooops.

As for "dude", it's hardly a term your generation can claim. We used it when I was a kid (and I still use it). And I have grandkids older than you. It's been in use (with the usual definition-drift) since at least the late 19th Century. It originally meant a male who dressed up extra fancy. Today, it just means 'person'. The sentences "Hey dude, what's up?", "Hey Terry, what's up?", and "Hey man, what's up?" are functionally identical, and none tells anything about the age or gender of the person speaking, nor the person addressed.
No, not really. I simply said that I know what a unisex word is, not that I commonly use them. I really don't wanna argue about what was previously said, because it's pointless and quite frankly it's tiring.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Maybe "Two Youts" - Vinny from My Cousin Vinny

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gonna go a bit meta here and combine the Chimp discussion and this one.

There's a time and place for martial training. It starts after bone setting, sutures, facial reconstruction, physical rehabilitation, and if you're really lucky, bionic augmentation.

Ask Andrew Oberle, Chimp Assault Survivor (that's not his real right hand hand)

1693843621341.png

Latest Discussions