Stance for Advantage

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd rather them not expect my attack, then them expect it.
That can be a different strategy.

- Look down on the ground to avoid eyes contact.
- Shake your body if you can.
- Pee in your pants if you can.
- Suddenly, you jump in and eat your opponent alive.

This is called "to pretend yourself as a pig. You then eat a tiger." It's a very good strategy.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with your MA style. It may have to do with your opponent's MA style. MA is to solve problems. Most of the problems may come from outside of your MA system.

Disagree. Your personal style of fighting has a lot to with your stance and weight distribution.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That can be a different strategy.

- Look down on the ground to avoid eyes contact.
- Shake your body if you can.
- Pee in your pants if you can.
- Suddenly, you jump in and eat your opponent alive.

This is called "to pretend yourself as a pig. You then eat a tiger."
i find turning your back and whipping your arm into their face to work quite well, they really dont expect that, then leg it

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
your in a fight of course they are expecting you to attack ?
Depends on the fight. Are we talking about street brawl, sparring or competition? Strategies can be different for them, and I don't expect everyone I'm sparring with to attack me.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Disagree. Your personal style of fighting has a lot to with your stance and weight distribution.
If you are a TKD guy and your opponent is also a TKD guy, Your opponent will never shoot at your leading leg. If your opponent is a wrestler, he will shoot at your leading leg.

This is why your MA style doesn't matter much. It's your opponent's MA styles that matter a lot.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on the fight. Are we talking about street brawl, sparring or competition? Strategies can be different for them, and I don't expect everyone I'm sparring with to attack me.
you need better sparring partners, what do they do, go off to make tea

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I currently turn off after each engagement, but that's not something I will really do before the next engagement. I typically just circle pre-engagement, although that's probably not the best either. Definitely something to spend more time experimenting with.

And as a side note, although not really relevant, moving sideways/turning after each engagement wouldn't work in fencing. So that's something new I had to learn when switching away from just point weapon sparring.

Yeah. It is physically blocked? Not sure. The dynamics in Kali would change if you are armoured up as well.

In boxing I turn off or angle mid engagement.

Basically nothing at all like lomenchenco. But i would like to think that I replicate that.

But the basic idea is I cut an angle and they turn to face. Then I cut an angle the other way and if I time it right I get a much bigger angle.

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are a TKD guy and your opponent is also a TKD guy, Your opponent will never shoot at your leading leg. If your opponent is a wrestler, he will shoot at your leading leg.

This is why your MA style doesn't matter much. It's your opponent's MA styles that matter a lot.

Disagree. Just because someone is a different style doesn't mean you have to abandon what you do. You just have to figure out how to make your style work.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't expect everyone I'm sparring with to attack me.
IMO, the strategy of how to "run your opponent down" is the highest level of MA.

If your opponent punches you, you'll run him down. If your opponent kicks you, you'll run him down. If your opponent does nothing, you'll still run him down.

The moment that you can step your leg between your opponent's legs, the moment that the fight is over.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's all good, bouncy no bouncy, weight fifty fifty or any other percentage, circle left, circle right, zig zag, whatever. It's a matter of what works for you and sometimes what works against certain opponents. I think as people train longer they increase their options concerning movement.

And I think that the more different ways people come at you in training, the more you learn to adapt to.....everything.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not necessarily. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that I count as "a TKD guy" but if the rules allow it, or if it's a real fight, you can bet I'll take the opportunity to shoot your leading leg if it presents itself.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I fought using both strategies and although I do agree with you, Jobo, it requires a higher degree of energy to 'bounce' for the entire match it also allows for more explosive 'in and out' or 'side to side' movement. If you train to bounce while you fight, you are essentially carrying your weight on the balls of your feet, using them like springs to move yourself. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to do this with the weight distributed to the entire foot. The timing and coordination would be completely off.

As I would be considered a heavy weight or light heavy weight, I do find it an advantage to use this tactic on fighters who do not bounce as they are not typically used to dealing with other heavy weights that are more nimble on their feet. If done correctly, a fighter that bounces can look much faster than their opponent but as you said, the energy drain is quite a bit more and so having good cardio is essential to employing this tactic.

As I am getting older and am not competing any longer, I do not use this tactic for an entire match unless it is absolutely necessary. I favour a combination of 'bouncing' and solid footed footwork in most matches now. I still use the 'bounce' when doubling up kicks or when I need to perform a Sabaki movement to get to the side but that is not to say that I prefer it to 'bouncing' for the entire match. The need to 'bounce' for an entire match is not necessarily required for each sparring session I do now.

Finally, I am not sure I would say that 'going up on your toes' gives you less stability. I find my stance typically goes wider when I bounce and have not noticed that I lose any more stability. Maybe I do but I just haven't noticed it.
A strategy I used to employ would be to Not bounce until the last round. Coming out looking fresh was a good head game sometimes.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A strategy I used to employ would be to Not bounce until the last round. Coming out looking fresh was a good head game sometimes.
Absolutely ! Whenever you can project that you look like you are just getting started while everyone looks beat, you have a leg up in the 'head' department. As Buka said, the more options you have for movement the more opportunities you will have to find openings to exploit.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am not a bouncer, preferring to use footwork angle changes to help set up the opponent and disrupt his concentration. I've tried it, but it's just not me. Those that do bounce may find success in messing with the opponent and at the same time, give themselves a moral boost in feeling energetic and keep themselves relaxed and loose. I do find bouncers distracting and annoying at first, then put it out of my head and totally ignore it. I find it makes no difference in the actual physical fight, for me.

Many bouncers do it too fast and provide too small a window to take advantage of the timing or put them too much out of position for a quick response to my moves. So I find it mostly a mental thing for the bouncer to pump themselves up and the opponent who may be thrown off. So I just ignore it and do my thing. Those that use big high bounces are going to pay the price from a good opponent, but there aren't that many foolish fighters in the higher ranks.

So, to bounce or not to bounce, it's up to your personal preference. Makes no difference to me.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not a bouncer, preferring to use footwork angle changes to help set up the opponent and disrupt his concentration.

Slight disagree.

Like I said to @Kung Fu Wang , why is this an either/or? I bounce and use footwork angle changes. I don't understand these types of distinctions. It would be like a boxer saying "I don't like straight punches, I only use hooks" or wrestler saying "why train reversals, I just have good take-down defense."

Many bouncers do it too fast and provide too small a window to take advantage of the timing or put them too much out of position for a quick response to my moves.

Agree.

This is the counter-argument to a lot of the supposed weaknesses in a technique or style. A lot of the TKD footwork is this way. Yes, it is theoretically possible to trip me if I do a cross step. But the step is quick, I don't stay there long, and even if I do get pushed, I can usually recover by undoing the step. The traditional fighting stance of having one hand up in the guard position, and the other hand chambered, means you have half a guard...but if you've trained your parries and headwork properly, that one hand can still do a lot of the work. Even the hand chambered at your side can come up pretty quick. And like the cross step, it's not a position I'd stay in.

Everything you do has a weakness that can be exploited. People like to point out these holes in other techniques and styles, without realizing that maybe it's not as big a deal as they make it out, or maybe there's a reason for that difference. And of course while sticking their head in the sand about any issues with their training.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On the other, just arbitrarily moving in a circle is a good way to eat a roundhouse kick.
If you move toward your opponent's blind side, you don't have to worry about his back leg roundhouse kick (because it's jammed by his front leg). Your opponent may do a spin back kick (or spin hook kick) with his back leg, in that case, his back will be exposed to you.

You do something, you force something to happen, In CMA, it's call to knock on your opponent's front door. When he opens the door, you then enter.

If both you and your opponent are on guard, the fight will be hard to start (of course we are not talking SD here).

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you move toward your opponent's blind side, you don't have to worry about his back leg roundhouse kick (because it's jammed by his front leg). Your opponent may do a spin back kick (or spin hook kick) with his back leg, in that case, his back will be exposed to you.

He can also pivot or switch feet, and now you're no longer on his blind side. And that takes less effort than strafing in a circle.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He can also pivot or switch feet, and now you're no longer on his blind side. And that takes less effort than strafing in a circle.
You force your opponent to turn with you. That's the strategy.

- Your back foot move 1 ft.
- Your front foot move 3 in.
- Your both feet always line up with your opponent's leading foot (the best attacking angle).

When your back foot move 1 ft, and your opponent is not turning with you, instead of move your front foot 3 in, you step in your front foot and attack.

In other words, you try to catch the right timing and attack when your opponent stops turning around with you (the best angle for single leg shooting).

Latest Discussions