Stance for Advantage

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So my experience will obviously be different because it was fencing, which is essentially weapon point fighting, but I used not bouncing but 'shifting' (which may be the same thing) a lot in competition. So did most of the people I competed against. In Epee there's a lot of time without anyone making a serious attack yet, so pre-engagement footwork was important. What myself (and others) would do is take small steps with our feet that look almost like bounces going back and forth, both as a way to mess our opponents up (lure them into a tempo and then change it at the right time), and as a way to respond (I'm more likely to move my foot/leg quickly if I've been moving it, vs. if I've been standing still for the last minute and a half).

I haven't had much success replicating that in kali (where we don't reset after each 'touch'), but I don't think I've tried all that much. Next time I get to the dojo and can do some sparring I'll give it a shot.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am intuitively not a fan of bouncing. But Zhang welli is super bouncy and it obviously works for her.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So my experience will obviously be different because it was fencing, which is essentially weapon point fighting, but I used not bouncing but 'shifting' (which may be the same thing) a lot in competition. So did most of the people I competed against. In Epee there's a lot of time without anyone making a serious attack yet, so pre-engagement footwork was important. What myself (and others) would do is take small steps with our feet that look almost like bounces going back and forth, both as a way to mess our opponents up (lure them into a tempo and then change it at the right time), and as a way to respond (I'm more likely to move my foot/leg quickly if I've been moving it, vs. if I've been standing still for the last minute and a half).

I haven't had much success replicating that in kali (where we don't reset after each 'touch'), but I don't think I've tried all that much. Next time I get to the dojo and can do some sparring I'll give it a shot.

There is a dog brothers video where a guy is murdering people using a very shifting footwork.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
The best combat stance is a stance that you can spring from it (such as the 3-7 stance - 70% weight on your back leg and 30% weight on your leading leg). You have to compress before you can release. A compress stance a stance that you are ready to do a jumping kick.

This guy uses bounce up and down to warm up. When the fight starts, he just "spring" forward.

Disagree.

To us....Its static and slower.

We prefer a balanced 50/50 stance that allows for movement in all directions and maintaining a little bit of motion makes you a little quicker.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a dog brothers video where a guy is murdering people using a very shifting footwork.
Any chance you got a video? I'm curious how it would compare to the shifting I used to do. If it's similar than I'm definitely going to give it a try next chance I can.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We prefer a balanced 50/50 stance that allows for movement in all directions and maintaining a little bit of motion makes you a little quicker.
If you are moving, your weight distribution won't matter.

When you are not moving, to avoid your opponent to sweep your leading leg (or to step on your knee), you should not put too much weight on it. IMO, 50% weight on the leading leg is too much.

It also depends on how seriously that you intend to attack.

If you have

- 30% weight on your front leg and 70% weight on your back leg, you have the most forward spring power.
- 70% weight on your front leg and 30% weight on your back leg, you have the most backward retreat power.
- 50% weight on your front leg and 50% weight on your back leg, you have equal ability (not maximum) advance and retreat power.

When your opponent shoots at your leading leg, the less weight that you have on your leading leg, the faster that you can pull that leg back.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Instead of to bounce up and down, why not just to move in circle and force your opponent to turn with you?

On the one hand, the two aren't mutually exclusive skills.

On the other, just arbitrarily moving in a circle is a good way to eat a roundhouse kick.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To avoid your opponent to sweep your leading leg (or to step on your knee), you should not put too much weight on it. IMO, 50% weight on the leading leg is too much.

If you have

- 30% weight on your front leg and 70% weight on your back leg, you have the most forward spring power.
- 70% weight on your front leg and 30% weight on your back leg, you have the most backward retreat power.
- 50% weight on your front leg and 50% weight on your back leg, you have equal ability (not maximum) advance and retreat power.

When your opponent shoot at your leading leg, how fast can you pull your leading leg back? The less weight that you have on your leading leg, the easier that you can pull that leg back.
If you stay in one of those stances though, the person will know whether you are planning to attack or retreat (or at least what you're more likely to do). It's a good way to get accidentally jammed up by a smart opponent.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On the other, just arbitrarily moving in a circle is a good way to eat a roundhouse kick.
When your opponent is on guard, it's hard to attack him. The purpose of moving in circle is to force your opponent to do something and open himself up. Your opponent's roundhouse kick indicates that he is no longer in on guard position. Fight then start right there.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

By the way I would suggest moving sideways or turning off after each engagement. Which should give you the space.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
To avoid your opponent to sweep your leading leg (or to step on your knee), you should not put too much weight on it. IMO, 50% weight on the leading leg is too much.

If you have

When your opponent shoots at your leading leg, how fast can you pull your leading leg back? The less weight that you have on your leading leg, the faster that you can pull that leg back.

Well I think it depends on your personal style.

We work alot on moving and circling to use angles. Sweeping hasn't been a problem due to Jacob's movement and footwork.

30/70 might be best for your style whereas 50/50 is better for ours. It just depends on what you are trying to do.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you stay in one of those stances though, the person will know whether you are planning to attack or retreat (or at least what you're more likely to do). It's a good way to get accidentally jammed up by a smart opponent.
You should never let your opponent know that you intend to retreat.

If your opponent knows that you are ready to attack, that will put him in defense mode. That will be to your advantage.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
By the way I would suggest moving sideways or turning off after each engagement. Which should give you the space.
I currently turn off after each engagement, but that's not something I will really do before the next engagement. I typically just circle pre-engagement, although that's probably not the best either. Definitely something to spend more time experimenting with.

And as a side note, although not really relevant, moving sideways/turning after each engagement wouldn't work in fencing. So that's something new I had to learn when switching away from just point weapon sparring.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should never let your opponent know that you intend to retreat.

If your opponent knows that you are ready to attack, that will put him in defense mode. That will be to your advantage.
I'd rather them not expect my attack, then them expect it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
30/70 might be best for your style whereas 50/50 is better for ours. It just depends on what you are trying to do.
It has nothing to do with your MA style. It may have to do with your opponent's MA style. MA is to solve problems. Most of the problems may come from outside of your MA system.

Latest Discussions