Stance for Advantage

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You force your opponent to turn with you. That's the strategy.

- Your back foot move 1 ft.
- Your front foot move 3 in.
- Your both feet always line up with your opponent's leading foot (the best attacking angle).

When your back foot move 1 ft, and your opponent is not turning with you, instead of move your front foot 3 in, you step in your front foot and attack.

In other words, you try to catch the right timing and attack when your opponent stops turning around with you (the best angle for single leg shooting).

Then your opponent tries to circle you and this is what happens.

I originally was thinking of posting this as a joke, but honestly this shows exactly what I wanted to say.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Then your opponent tries to circle you and this is what happens.

I originally was thinking of posting this as a joke, but honestly this shows exactly what I wanted to say.
Old saying said, "You may not be able to find any opportunity to attack. As long as you keep moving, soon or later you will find that opportunity." Again, we are not talking about SD here.

Keep moving is the key.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So I find it mostly a mental thing for the bouncer to pump themselves up and the opponent who may be thrown off.

I think it goes a little deeper than that, once we tense, we slow, and eventually stop moving, this limits our options, moving is once again the key, breath and move, if your moving you have a chance to escape or counter, so bouncers imo, do it as already stated a mental thing, firstly to fool an opponent, or as a catalist for movement, a second wind,, as movement is born from movement.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So why would you train, in something that is not sd (forgetting the traditional elements)
In my system, we always attack first. That's why I don't call it SD. In my system, it's better to play offense and lose than to play defense and win.

When you play

- offense and lose, you will have chance to be a good fighter some day. Because you have the right attitude.
- defense and win, you will never be a good fighter. Because you are lacking that "tiger spirit - act like a tiger and eat your opponent alive".

Here is an example of "tiger spirit". He didn't wait for opportunity. He tried to create opportunity.

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is fighting not sd in your opinion?

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My post was almost the same time as yours, in your system, you always attack first, does this mean you go looking for trouble, perhaps its a language thing, but how do you truely know, the opponent is serious about an attack, if you strike first? He mat just have tourettes.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My post was almost the same time as yours, in your system, you always attack first, does this mean you go looking for trouble, perhaps its a language thing, but how do you truely know, the opponent is serious about an attack, if you strike first? He mat just have tourettes.
The SC (Chinese wrestling) is a "sport". You and your opponent will wrestle for 3 rounds and 2 out of 3 will be the winner. In each round, if you play defense and avoid contact, you will be dis-qualified. So to show that you are willing to attack is important.

In China, the SC is done outdoor with a lot of audience. In the match, if you move in, try your throw, and fail, the audience will applaud for you. If you are afraid of attacking. When your opponent attacks you, you play defense, and push your opponent down to the ground, even if you win that round, the audience will still boo on you. That's just the ancient Chinese tradition.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
- Fight is to defeat your opponent.
- SD is to protect yourself.

Fight to win I understand, but what about control, sometimes a few swear words or aggressive gesturing is enough to discourage an opponent, so why waste your energy, throwing out techniques, when a few words like jog on, bon voyage, f off, go home before I call an ambulance for you work, without even throwing a static stance, which gives your opponent an idea of what your going to do, or bouncing around?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
how do you truely know, the opponent is serious about an attack, if you strike first? He mat just have tourettes.
If you attack me the

- 1st time, I'll step back.
- 2nd time, I'll also step back.
- 3rd time, I'll still step back.
- 4th time, I'll jump in.

This is why in my system, we train a fast backward jumping that one can retreat for more than 10 feet distance.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But what if my style is a counter attacker?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fight to win I understand, but what about control, sometimes a few swear words or aggressive gesturing is enough to discourage an opponent, so why waste your energy, throwing out techniques, when a few words like jog on, bon voyage, f off, go home before I call an ambulance for you work, without even throwing a static stance, which gives your opponent an idea of what your going to do, or bouncing around?
You try to discourage your opponent during his initial 3 attacks. After that, you have given him that chance, and action will do the talking.

If you can dodge or block your opponent 3 attacks, unless your opponent is very stupid, he will give up his attacking.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, 1 step back by you, then I throw my entire 110lbs at your mid section, what then ?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But what if my style is a counter attacker?
The strategy is to lead your opponent into an area that you are more familiar with than he does. That will be your advantage.

For example, if your opponent drags you around in circle, how much experience do you have to deal with that situation?

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If my opponent is obviously right handed, I step to my left, however, my distance and timing would be as a counter, so why you are trying to lead me, as a counter striker, I would be leading you, by giving you slight ground, to encourage you to strike, sobI could counter, then again, I could switch to uber aggressive drop gear mma mode, I think we will go around in circles with this argument.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I will need strong defense skill to play this strategy (let you attack me 3 times). When you punch me, I'll use hard block on your arm.

metal against wood strategy.

I am not punching at this point, full on rugby style, bending you in half, taking you down to the ground, with the intension of blending your face, with the mat

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am not punching at this point, full on rugby style, bending you in half, taking you down to the ground, with the intension of blending your face, with the mat
This will depend your MA training and your opponent's MA training.

- Knowing defeats fast.
- Fast defeats slow.
- Slow defeats not knowing.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If my opponent is obviously right handed, I step to my left, however, my distance and timing would be as a counter, so why you are trying to lead me, as a counter striker, I would be leading you, by giving you slight ground, to encourage you to strike, sobI could counter, then again, I could switch to uber aggressive drop gear mma mode, I think we will go around in circles with this argument.
Aggressive is only one of many strategies.

1. Attack your opponent with your best techniques. If fail,
2. Use your best technique to set up your next best technique. If still fail,
3. Play defense and look for opportunity.

In "sport", you may start with offense strategy and end with defense strategy.

Latest Discussions