Stance for Advantage

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm a counter fighter as well.
A counter fighter always have chance to fall into his opponent's trap.

For example, when my opponent

- kicks my groin, if I drop my arm to block his kick, I will open my face for his head punch.
- pulls me, if I resist, he will change his pulling into pushing and take me down. If I yield, he will continue his pulling and still take me down.

I don't like that kind of feeling.

What's the difference between:

1. If you do A, I'll do B,
2. When I do A, if you do B, I'll do C?

IMO, I'll have more control in 2 than in 1.

For example,

- When my opponent attacks me with MT flying knee, if I don't know how to counter it, I will be in trouble.
- When I drag my MT opponent in circle, he loses chance to use his favor flying knee to attack me.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not wish to be rude, or disrespectful to your art, but it is these type of conversations that give ground to the arguments given by @drop bear , most traditional arts are reliably equipped to fail, by their recipe method of sd, A does so B does, is truely inadequate

Honestly I am just kind of confused about the whole conversation.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

- kicks my groin, if I drop my arm to block his kick, I will open my face for his head punch.
- pulls me, if I resist, he will change his pulling into pushing and take me down. If I yield, he will continue his pulling and still take me down.

For example,

- When my opponent attacks me with MT flying knee, if I don't know how to counter it, I will be in trouble.
- When I drag my MT opponent in circle, he loses chance to use his favor flying knee to attack me.

This seems to be a very linear way of thinking of counters. It is possible to do two things at the same time, or a different first counter to allow your defense to stay solid.
What you are describing is possibly what an inexperienced person would do. I am more of an 'if you do A, I'll do B or C or D or E etc...Simply put, it always depends on the situation.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you date a girl, she may lead you to Macy's and you will spend a lot of money. If you lead her to Dollar Tree, you won't spend that much money.

- In dating, is it better to let your girl to lead you, or is it better to let you to lead your girl?
- In fighting, is it better to let your opponent to lead the fight, or is it better to let you to lead the fight?

Who goes shopping on a date?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This seems to be a very linear way of thinking of counters. It is possible to do two things at the same time, or a different first counter to allow your defense to stay solid.
What you are describing is possibly what an inexperienced person would do. I am more of an 'if you do A, I'll do B or C or D or E etc...Simply put, it always depends on the situation.

It is a very complicated way of trying to say that he is fighting for a better position.

I think.

Which is the point of footwork.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is a very complicated way of trying to say that he is fighting for a better position.

I think.

Which is the point of footwork.

It is, but you forget the Confusionism part, you know, the proverbs, like man goes to bed with itchy butt, wakes up with smelly fingers kind of thing.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
fighting for a better position.
If you can line up your back foot along with your opponent's both feet, you will have the following advantages.

- Your opponent's back hand cannot punch you.
- If you shoot in at his leading leg, no matter how he may move his leading leg, his leading leg will always be under your attacking range.

arm-pull-knee-seize.gif

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

For example,

That's why it's called a fight.

I don't care what my opponent does, I only care how I adapt on the fly and shove it up.....

I don't care what type of fighter he is, I don't care why he started the fight, I don't care who's right or wrong, I don't care if he's right or left handed, if he circles, rushes, traps, tackles or jumps into the air.
No matter.

As for...

2. When I do A, if you do B, I'll do C

It may very well be several turns through the alphabet, brother, perhaps we should both pack a lunch.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um... some married dudes do, by necessity.

I wouldn't call that a date.
For that matter, neither does the dictionary.
a social or romantic appointment or engagement.
Now, if your idea of romance is cruising the vegetable aisle, then you might stretch the definition to the point of breaking and call that a date. But if that's your idea of romance... dude.... so sorry.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should never let your opponent know that you intend to retreat.

If your opponent knows that you are ready to attack, that will put him in defense mode. That will be to your advantage.
You've made two conflicting statements in this thread, John. First, that when they show attack (that roundhouse kick), it's time to attack. Then that if you show attack, they'll be on defense.

Those statements are apparently more absolute than your actual strategy, since without the nuance they seem to assume your psychology is entirely different from every opponent.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call that a date.
For that matter, neither does the dictionary.
Now, if your idea of romance is cruising the vegetable aisle, then you might stretch the definition to the point of breaking and call that a date. But if that's your idea of romance... dude.... so sorry.
I didn't say it was MY idea of a date... but for some poor guys... that might be all they get. Or, the only way they can...get anything else...uh.... done.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You've made two conflicting statements in this thread, John. First, that when they show attack (that roundhouse kick), it's time to attack. Then that if you show attack, they'll be on defense.
If I move into your blind side, I don't have to worry about your

- back hand hook punch, and
- back leg roundhouse kick.

The less that I have to deal with, the better chance that I will have.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I move into your blind side, I don't have to worry about your

- back hand hook punch, and
- back leg roundhouse kick.

The less that I have to deal with, the better chance that I will have.
I’m not sure how that relates to the conflicting statements, since that should be true in the inverse as well. What am I missing?