Stance for Advantage

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not wish to be rude, or disrespectful to your art, but it is these type of conversations that give ground to the arguments given by @drop bear , most traditional arts are reliably equipped to fail, by their recipe method of sd, A does so B does, is truely inadequate

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not a bouncer, preferring to use footwork angle changes to help set up the opponent and disrupt his concentration. I've tried it, but it's just not me. Those that do bounce may find success in messing with the opponent and at the same time, give themselves a moral boost in feeling energetic and keep themselves relaxed and loose. I do find bouncers distracting and annoying at first, then put it out of my head and totally ignore it. I find it makes no difference in the actual physical fight, for me.

Many bouncers do it too fast and provide too small a window to take advantage of the timing or put them too much out of position for a quick response to my moves. So I find it mostly a mental thing for the bouncer to pump themselves up and the opponent who may be thrown off. So I just ignore it and do my thing. Those that use big high bounces are going to pay the price from a good opponent, but there aren't that many foolish fighters in the higher ranks.

So, to bounce or not to bounce, it's up to your personal preference. Makes no difference to me.
To be sure, they go hand in hand. Angle is a Big part of the game.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you move toward your opponent's blind side, you don't have to worry about his back leg roundhouse kick (because it's jammed by his front leg). Your opponent may do a spin back kick (or spin hook kick) with his back leg, in that case, his back will be exposed to you.

You do something, you force something to happen, In CMA, it's call to knock on your opponent's front door. When he opens the door, you then enter.

If both you and your opponent are on guard, the fight will be hard to start (of course we are not talking SD here).
You need to try it against some of the kickers I have seen. You move to the blind side and they will kick you in the ear, and make it look easy.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do not wish to be rude, or disrespectful to your art, but it is these type of conversations that give ground to the arguments given by @drop bear , most traditional arts are reliably equipped to fail, by their recipe method of sd, A does so B does, is truely inadequate

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Disrepect.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You need to try it against some of the kickers I have seen. You move to the blind side and they will kick you in the ear, and make it look easy.
As I have said, when you apply circular walking strategy, you want your opponent to do something, anything. As long as your opponent attacks you, he is no longer in on guard position. The opportunity will present. Whether you can catch that opportunity or not, that will depend on your training.

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I have said, when you apply circular walking strategy, you want your opponent to do something, anything. As long as your opponent attacks you, he is no longer in on guard position. The opportunity will present.

Unless they are a counter attacker

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Be it the Bujinkan, the Hapkido and the systema, I am definately a counter attacker, it suits me

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's better to have a plan than not to have one.

If you let your opponent attacks you, the possibility can be many (a large set). When you attack and let your opponent to respond, your opponent's respond can be a much smaller set.

It's easier to handle a small set than to handle a large set.

PS. It's my training time. I'll come back in 2 hours.

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
However, when your opponent attacks, the very beginning of the attack, are revealed by the tension in certain parts of the body, and this varies on the schooling of this person and their style, be it straight lines, circular movement, or a double legv take down, repetative or muscle memory, or routine based training is great for correct technique, and technique execution, but these very traits can reveal your intensions, and your body does move diffrently, weather you are feinting, or executing.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have heard you the first time. :)

I like counter attack too. When I'm tired, I like to play defense.

Seeing as you added, when you are tied, you play at defense, as if its a last resort, not for energy conservation, or efficeincey of movement, thanks for that

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
reveal your intensions,...
When you date a girl, she may lead you to Macy's and you will spend a lot of money. If you lead her to Dollar Tree, you won't spend that much money.

- In dating, is it better to let your girl to lead you, or is it better to let you to lead your girl?
- In fighting, is it better to let your opponent to lead the fight, or is it better to let you to lead the fight?

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Be it the Bujinkan, the Hapkido and the systema, I am definately a counter attacker, it suits me

I'm a counter fighter as well. Always loved countering. It's kind of like pizza delivery, it comes to you. You don't have to chase it down.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned bouncy fighters. I always liked to pump fake them on their upward bounce, make them flinch for a second as they corrected themselves. Always had the faintest hint of a smile when I did it....which usually caused them to immediately blitz, which was what I wanted.

Come to papa. Home delivery.

Latest Discussions