Sport vs. Street

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all street fights are necessarily, mutually agreed upon, next.
Then you and I are using the term differently. To me, that's what a "street fight" is. If you're including fighting to defend against an attack, that will explain part of our disagreement.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No technology exist yet where each cop can pull over and ticket more than 1 car at a time.
Yes, but they could pull one at random. Or spend every possible moment pulling one over. Yet, they do not. They let many pass who are only speeding a little, and wait for someone who is speeding more.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Willing to kill? Have you ever beaten the hell out of someone before? Usually when they're done... they'd go into fetal position and cover up. Or they just get knock the F out and lie there motionless. Are you saying that you're willing to, say, stomp on the head of an unconscious man, on the ground, repeatedly until his skull cracks and brain oozes out so he'd die? Or something like that? Is this what, "willing to kill" means? Why can't you just walk away after the KO?

Otherwise, you're just throwing strikes to the best of your capabilities, up the point where the fight/conflict, ceases....and a KO is almost a guaranteed stoppage in the street, which makes it sound really a lot like a sports fight in the ring.
Willing to kill doesn't mean willing to kill in every circumstance. I think his point was that he's willing to kill if it is necessary. Thankfully, it almost never reaches that point.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That was my point in my earlier post. There's an overlap in the physical skills. Most of the physical skills used in competition have application in defensive use.
There is an overlap yes, we just disagree on the amount of that overlap. :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you serious? "A TKD kick"? This is almost like saying, "I train UFC"...but usually when people say it, they're joking about it and especially when not trying to make a technical argument.

Which is related to the point you were originally trying to argue in what way?

Yeah both of these. You really do miss the point, and yeah you seem to like the soind of your own voice.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Willing to kill is a mindset and an attitude, every fight I go into I go in with the possibility that me or my opponent may be killed.
Thinking that my opponent may stop or is aim isn't to kill me is a foolish assumption, even unintended he still may kill me.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Video of my last fight.

HUe8vmULQ9OF19P54vqd_102810_after_the_fatality_t.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is an overlap yes, we just disagree on the amount of that overlap. :)
My assertion is that most techniques that are usable in hard competition (using MMA as a reasonable example) will find application in self-defense. They may require alteration, but they'll still be useful. That's the overlap I see - nearly everything from one side can be used in the other. Of course, there's a fair amount that can be useful for self-defense that doesn't really have a home in competition, and that's most of the non-overlap in physical skills.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My assertion is that most techniques that are usable in hard competition (using MMA as a reasonable example) will find application in self-defense. They may require alteration, but they'll still be useful. That's the overlap I see - nearly everything from one side can be used in the other. Of course, there's a fair amount that can be useful for self-defense that doesn't really have a home in competition, and that's most of the non-overlap in physical skills.
Ah, now this is different. Now you are talking about techniques.

Before you were talking about skills.

If we are talking about techniques then yes I'd agree more with you there.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are probably right in that. The overlap though, just is another tool, and not one to be taken as consciousness thought. I mean if one is stupid enough to think a fancy kick is in order, the overlap is a window of opportunity. Yes a person can learn SD, yes a person can learn to fight, but the deire is another thing. Overlap in skills, there is no overlap.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Which is related to the point you were originally trying to argue in what way?

That the LEO's honored a statute that they perceived to have existed, and therefor enforced it, which is their job.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Then you and I are using the term differently. To me, that's what a "street fight" is. If you're including fighting to defend against an attack, that will explain part of our disagreement.

Well since you admitted to not having watched the video that you're directly making an argument about, then how is what you're saying, credible?

Latest Discussions