Sport vs. Street

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I clearly commented on the first fight in the video, because that's what I watched. Care to comment on how I can't credibly comment on that?

Ever thought of using a less-confrontational approach?

First fight was very much self defense/street-fight.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A technique would be punch/kick/lock/throw etc. Which could all potentially be used in self defence.

A skill would be the ability to move in and out of striking range (which in the context of our discussion is a useful fighting skill, but of little use in self defence as self defence does not take place at sparring distance).
Okay, I can see that distinction. Just to be clear, I'll make two points:

1) When I use the term "skill" it is "the ability to apply technique". Moving in is accomplished via techniques, and they are all lumped together in to the "skill of moving in".

2) There will be situations where controlling the distance will be useful. If my first response to an attack creates space (I manage to deflect the attack and only get them off-balance enough to send them a step or two away, and maybe am off-balance at the time so can't follow up immediately), then I can either wait for them to close again, or I can close. Being able to close that distance myself will give more options, and will use some of the same techniques as someone in a competition might use for that purpose.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so you use use that term, and Paul uses the term "assaults". So, what happened to the "fights" you were saying weren't mutually agreed upon?

"Fight" is the layman's term. I'm a professional. I train tactical responses while wearing camou clothing + combat boots; even on expensive wrestling mats b/c I'm just hardcore like that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First fight was very much self defense/street-fight.
Um. No. Both combatants had plenty of opportunity to leave, and both chose to stay and fight. It was a street fight, not self-defense. If you have a different view of that, please explain it, because all you've done so far is make unsupported statements, and that doesn't get our discussion anywhere.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Isn't it foolish to say someone is saying something they aren't?

"No need to act so condescending to everyone who disagrees. It is entirely possible to disagree with people and be civil."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Fight" is the layman's term. I'm a professional. I train tactical responses while wearing camou clothing + combat boots; even on expensive wrestling mats b/c I'm just hardcore like that.
And, so, I repeat, "So, what happened to the 'fights' you were saying weren't mutually agreed upon?"

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I can see that distinction. Just to be clear, I'll make two points:

1) When I use the term "skill" it is "the ability to apply technique". Moving in is accomplished via techniques, and they are all lumped together in to the "skill of moving in".
Then we are probably not as far apart as we originally thought. ;)

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Isn't it quite foolish to assume that someone who's knocked out and on the ground, can intend to kill you?
No, because if you did not do a weapon sweep and they wake up they can still shoot you. I always assume a couple of things, one he wants to kill me, he has friends, three he has a weapon and four he will fight dirty.

See your approach is a ring setting knock outs, squaring off, trading punches, you don't have the intent or mindset to kill, I on the other hand am coming to fight to kill or be killed so when you square off in your fighting stance I'm waiting for you to come in so I can stab you. Just like my video I posted showing a guy let's say a grappler and I'm in top mound stabbing repeatly. .

What I want you to be aware of is some people simply will do what ever it takes in a fight including kill if need be and that is the difference between a sport fighter and a kill or be killed mindset. Anyway we most likely will never agree whatever you think works for you great go for it. I choose the most pussyfooting arts like taijiquan and things as my martial arts because it's not the art it's the mindset.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Um. No. Both combatants had plenty of opportunity to leave, and both chose to stay and fight. It was a street fight, not self-defense. If you have a different view of that, please explain it, because all you've done so far is make unsupported statements, and that doesn't get our discussion anywhere.

No. 1 guy was sucker punched. Now look up "Stand Your Ground" provisions.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. 1 guy was sucker punched. Now look up "Stand Your Ground" provisions.
I'm not talking about the legal definition. He stayed when he could have left, when the other person was not attacking him. That is not looking out for one's protection at that point.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the legal definition. He stayed when he could have left, when the other person was not attacking him. That is not looking out for one's protection at that point.

Like I just said, look up "Stand You Ground" provisions.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I just said, look up "Stand You Ground" provisions.
Just like I said, I'm not talking about legal definitions.

Oh, and it's worth noting that "stand your ground" provisions are far from universal. In some states, there still exists a "duty to retreat". Certainly mouthing off for a while before re-engaging reduces the legal defensibility of the action.