sparring

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think we will have to agree to disagree Chris. I think your missing a building block in not sparring while you think your not by attempting to get all you need from Scenario Based Training. I think it is better if you combine them. In the end we will just continue to go around and around in circles.

The thing is, though, I don't know that what you're calling sparring and what I'm calling scenario training is that far apart, but despite asking a few times, you haven't actually answered exactly what you're meaning (other than a collection of ideas that are closer to scenario training), nor have you said what the benefits of sparring would be over scenario training for the purpose of self defense, just that you think sparring (whatever you're meaning by that here) is important(?).

If you don't want to answer, or can't as you've never questioned it in your own training before (common enough, really), fine. But it doesn't really give any conclusive end to our debate, at least from my end.

How about next time I am down your way we train and I will buy the beers! ;)
If you get up here we can train and I'll let you buy! :)

Ha, I'd hope that we wouldn't need to disagree with each other to make such offers, Brian! And, for the record, you can have all the beer in either location, I don't actually drink.

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You just don't know how to handle a good beer mate ;)

Sanke on the move.

Lol!

I drink Guinness. Nothing better than that ;)

Being serious though when I have travelled in Australia, I found Cascade Stout to be relatively palatable although I've not found many who would agree!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't class it as resistance, as they're not really resisting. They attack, then when the tables are turned, they cover up. That's a fair bit more realistic, in fact, my biggest issue is the amount of time taken by the defenders...

Points taken, but don't you think that it gives a bit of a false impression? I mean, will every attacker cover up once the tables are turned...or will they, realizing that they're getting their *** kicked, possibly fight back harder? Dont get me wrong....I liked the clips. Obviously they're a hell of alot better than some other stuff out there. :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's a range of different responses that can occur, with them covering up being just one (and a realistic one, in some circumstances), particularly when the attack is done with the pure idea of opportunist attacks (when the attack happens due to some perception of superiority), as the sudden turn around can cause the attackers to lose the focus of what they're doing (a sudden shift from "predator" to "prey", which confuses them when it's unexpected). Then, when it's more emotionally caused, that's a less likely response... in that instance, it's more likely that they'd just keep trying to press an attack. Personally, I think each should be covered, both what happens if they turn and cover, or if they keep coming, and so on.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The thing is, though, I don't know that what you're calling sparring and what I'm calling scenario training is that far apart, but despite asking a few times, you haven't actually answered exactly what you're meaning (other than a collection of ideas that are closer to scenario training), nor have you said what the benefits of sparring would be over scenario training for the purpose of self defense, just that you think sparring (whatever you're meaning by that here) is important(?).

If you don't want to answer, or can't as you've never questioned it in your own training before (common enough, really), fine. But it doesn't really give any conclusive end to our debate, at least from my end.

Ha, I'd hope that we wouldn't need to disagree with each other to make such offers, Brian! And, for the record, you can have all the beer in either location, I don't actually drink.

Hey Chris,

I think if you go back through the thread you will see that on several occasions I have mentioned several benefits of sparring that I think you get more with Sparring over Scenario Based Training. They are there! I feel like at this point I am repeating the same thing over and over!

If you ever make it to Vegas I will make sure that you have a great time minus the drinking of course! ;)