The Most important weapon...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Understanding that all weapon techniques rely on good taijutsu, and that having a solid foundation in taijutsu is "most important"...

On the subject of weapons, which is the most important/relevant/neccessary to our training?

Hanbo? Sword? Kusari-fundo? Knife?

Which one will teach us best to incorporate others into our taijutsu, both for attack with and to defend against?

Ive given this a lot of thought, but want to know what your opinions are.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Understanding that all weapon techniques rely on good taijutsu, and that having a solid foundation in taijutsu is "most important"...

On the subject of weapons, which is the most important/relevant/neccessary to our training?

Hanbo? Sword? Kusari-fundo? Knife?

Which one will teach us best to incorporate others into our taijutsu, both for attack with and to defend against?

Ive given this a lot of thought, but want to know what your opinions are.
It has been said that all jujutsu is kenjutsu without a sword, though I'm not totally sure about that. Obviously, the focus as of 2004 has been swords, if I'm not mistaken - I think it was meant to be short weapons in 2003, medium length weapons in 2004 and long weapons this year, hence the focus on bo and tachi (someone told me that tachi and yari techniques could be seen as the same thing).

The first weapon I was taught to use was hanbo, and I think this is the most usual occurrence in the Bujinkan - or at least it used to be, it's possible that swords are generally taught earlier on nowadays. I suppose that hanbo and tessen are the two weapons that would be the easiest to improvise nowadays, since the techniques carry over to walking canes, umbrellas, telescopic batons, pens, flashlights, cellular phones etc.

It's been my experience that bo staffs and swords are the two weapons beginners are the most eager to learn when they start out, what with the bo probably being the "flashiest" weapon in the Bujinkan (excluding pole vaults with a nyoi-bo and battle axe, tee hee) and the katana the eternal symbol of the samurai. More than once I've seen beginners come to the dojo for the first or second time, pick up a bo staff and start twirling around modern wushu-stylee, has anyone else experienced this?? It still puzzles me when people do that, same thing when people with backgrounds in striking sports show up just dying to impress everyone with their kicking abilities:confused:

Then there's my personal indulgence, the knife. Personally, I'd say that the knife as a weapon to use and, particularly, defend skillfully against, is the weapon that demands the most of your taijutsu abilities, up to the point that few people can live up to the high standard required. There's a whole lot of possibilities that the knife rules out once it enters the confrontation. As for the usage of the knife as a tool, I've found it to be a great persuasive item to use in training...as Leo Gaje once put it, "I respect you and I respect your art, but my knife does not%-} ". Every man bleeds the same - you can claim that what you're doing is movement/principle training more than "shinken gata" all you want, but the knife is still an important wake-up call in many cases. A lot of people also seem to think that the Bujinkan is lacking in methods of knife usage, though I've had it personally proven to me that this is far from the case.

The article below is about Pekiti-Tirsia Kali more than anything else, but it still has a few good points as to which weapons emphasize particular attributes.

http://www.pekiti-tirsia.net/pekitiweapons.php?lang=en&soundsParam=&file=pekitiweapons

B

Blind

Hmm this is interesting, I remember I used to feel like the sword was most important. I felt it had a more *hesitates to say it* spiritual feel.

At this point I think that the weapon you train with is not as important as being familiar with the various distances, so I would say the bo is most important as long as you train with it cut to the various lengths. Getting used to ropes is another matter(for me at least).

My teacher has said there is a progression from Taijutsu->hanbo->Shikome(hidden)->real sword, but I suspect it would be the same basic idea with other weapons. He also mentioned if we get good enough at all that then we start again at taijutsu but we should be looking at it in a new light by then. Of course it is not cut and dried like that. I think the reason for that progression is the way we tend to become pre-occupied with wepons as we pick them up. Grab a stick and we focus on that to hit or lock with-shikome zue there is a tendency to want to cut with the hidden part rather than use it like a hanbo-and with a sword well, that blade is there and we know what that is for!;)

Koinu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Even in the very limited context of your question and taking into account having good Taijutsu. There is no true answer as it is stated. The Taijutsu is what matters , this will bring forward the strengths and shortfalls of each including the Taijutsu itself.
All these weapons you have mentioned can be used to strike, cut,entangle and throw. However some are more suited to certain areas of use by thier nature.
If you asked which of these weapons is more versitile then maybe you could get a more defined answer, however this would also depend on who you were asking as everyones opinion would differ.
The mind is the true weapon the Taijutsu the delivery system, the weapon itself is of little value without the other two.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From the what I have heard, Hanbo is usually the first weapon taught for a length of time (in the beginning).
My old instructor did a lot of Gun and knife, and some bokken. before I did Taijutsu, I did Aikido and Aikijutsu, and so I had a good idea of the katana and bokken before Taijutsu training.

Kyle

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With out a doubt the most important weapon you should train with is the weapon you are most likely to use on the street; so, a small club and or kuboton should consume much of your hands on training.
Sean

M

MisterMike

I'm going to vote for the stick - hanbo, jo, bo. From the standpoint of looking at the classes of weapons, wooden, bladed, composite, I think it is a logical starting point.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
I'm going to vote for the stick - hanbo, jo, bo. From the standpoint of looking at the classes of weapons, wooden, bladed, composite, I think it is a logical starting point.
In general I agree, being a big fan of hanbo/bo. However, some of the other tools, especially sword, are useful in pointing out holes in your taijutsu...

Jeff

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
The one between your ears.

So in my case, I guess that would be a handful of rocks! :asian:

But in all seriousness, I do feel that the most important/relevant/necessary weapon to our training would be the mind. Psychologically defeating the opponent, maintaining an attitude of "keep going" , making things appear different than they really are and the like have all been central to what one would call "ninpo" or "ninjutsu".

The real beauty of what we do as I see it, is the ability to apply taijutsu movements universally. By developing a feel for balance, kyojitsu, vital areas, timing etc and being able to think freely and calmly in a dangerous situation, things not intended to be "weapons" can become effective tools to get the job done.

E

Elizium

Touch'O'Death said:
With out a doubt the most important weapon you should train with is the weapon you are most likely to use on the street; so, a small club and or kuboton should consume much of your hands on training.
Sean
I will disagree on this (I will say that this is my view and please do not detract me upon this).

You should use every weapon as an extended part of your body. If you have to strike, use it as you would use your own body. A sword strike is the same as a shuto. Doing a Naname mae omote waki uchi with a han bo (as you can tell, I have my notes at hand) should be similar to your strikeing unarmed.

So any weapon you can use is workable. This is why it is a fighting system and not a sport. Using a trash can lid as a shield is better than a deflection. Grass used as metsubushi is another. Ten mon and chi mon should be used to escape. It is all practical if the need to use it is to help you get home.

Latest Discussions