Some speed punching numbers...

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In one of my old notebooks I found some numbers from an experiment I did measuring how fast a punch will get to a person's face from hands-to-the-side position. One experiment was done with a direct punch from the hips (no cocking the punch back), and the other was done with cocking the punch back before striking. I was curious to see how fast a person has to block a punch from complete surprise (sucker punch). I had students, using a stopwatch, start the time when they began the punch and then ended the timer as soon as they made contact with the punching bag (focus mitt, etc.) I didn't want the numbers to be skewed by the students slowing their punch down at the end, which is why I had them punch through focus mitts or on heavy bags. Take these numbers however you'd like, I know there could be many things that would throw the numbers off, such as variances in students' punching speed and timer stopping, lack of emotion, etc. Most times, however, were similar and there definitely seemed to be a pattern or similarity in speed. These numbers represent only hundreds, not thousands, of punches. Take them however you'd like.

The average time it took a punch to get to the face (no cocking back): .24 seconds
The average time it took a punch to get to the face when cocking the punch back: .46 seconds

Essentially, based on the non-official numbers, the brain has about a quarter of a second to identify and react to an attack. Again, take these numbers with a grain of salt, as it was just a bunch of us timing punches in a controlled environment. I just wanted to share them in case you can take value from them.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While this is cool, I get the feeling that some of that time for both is reaction speed. The difference between the two though, should in theory still be the same.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In one of my old notebooks I found some numbers from an experiment I did measuring how fast a punch will get to a person's face from hands-to-the-side position. One experiment was done with a direct punch from the hips (no cocking the punch back), and the other was done with cocking the punch back before striking. I was curious to see how fast a person has to block a punch from complete surprise (sucker punch). I had students, using a stopwatch, start the time when they began the punch and then ended the timer as soon as they made contact with the punching bag (focus mitt, etc.) I didn't want the numbers to be skewed by the students slowing their punch down at the end, which is why I had them punch through focus mitts or on heavy bags. Take these numbers however you'd like, I know there could be many things that would throw the numbers off, such as variances in students' punching speed and timer stopping, lack of emotion, etc. Most times, however, were similar and there definitely seemed to be a pattern or similarity in speed. These numbers represent only hundreds, not thousands, of punches. Take them however you'd like.

The average time it took a punch to get to the face (no cocking back): .24 seconds
The average time it took a punch to get to the face when cocking the punch back: .46 seconds

Essentially, based on the non-official numbers, the brain has about a quarter of a second to identify and react to an attack. Again, take these numbers with a grain of salt, as it was just a bunch of us timing punches in a controlled environment. I just wanted to share them in case you can take value from them.
And a good, but not exceptionAl reaction speed, is 2\10 ofa,second, meaning you should always be able to evade a cocked punch and it being touch and go on the straight punch, That's from cold, if your anticipating you should be faster, if your day dreaming on the other haNd !

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
And a good, but not exceptionAl reaction speed, is 2\10 ofa,second, meaning you should always be able to evade a cocked punch and it being touch and go on the straight punch, That's from cold, if your anticipating you should be faster, if your day dreaming on the other haNd !

It’s gonna be close

Normal reaction time is usually somewhere between .3 and .4 seconds.

That’s why it is important to have live sparring. Studies show Training and experience against specific actions increase reaction time when confronted with those actions in real life.

And .2 is phenomenal reaction time.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you mean by "cocking the punch back before striking"? What's the full range of motion from the time you start until you end the timer?

OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What do you mean by "cocking the punch back before striking"? What's the full range of motion from the time you start until you end the timer?

"Cocking back" would be the typical bringing the arm back before punching to the head...what most people would do (telegraphing their punch.) The other one was punching directly from the hip...like a straight cross.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It’s gonna be close

Normal reaction time is usually somewhere between .3 and .4 seconds.

That’s why it is important to have live sparring. Studies show Training and experience against specific actions increase reaction time when confronted with those actions in real life.

And .2 is phenomenal reaction time.
No .1is a phenomenal reaction time, .2 isjust quite good but something any " sportsman that has fast moving objects coming at hiM ( or her) Should be able to acheive, . 4is what the average man in the street can acheive

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Cocking back" would be the typical bringing the arm back before punching to the head...what most people would do (telegraphing their punch.) The other one was punching directly from the hip...like a straight cross.

But are you timing from when their hand moves from their waist, or from when the arm is cocked back and telegraphed?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a bit more to it than that though. If I can position my punch so all you see is forwards movement. Your reaction speed goes down. Think cars and break lights.

If I can position so you have to step to punch. My reaction speed goes up. There is a lot of gamesmanship as well as physical ability.

It is the style as much as it is the individual.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a bit more to it than that though. If I can position my punch so all you see is forwards movement. Your reaction speed goes down. Think cars and break lights.

If I can position so you have to step to punch. My reaction speed goes up. There is a lot of gamesmanship as well as physical ability.

It is the style as much as it is the individual.
Nether of those chANGes your reaction speed ,they just change the time you have to react

OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But are you timing from when their hand moves from their waist, or from when the arm is cocked back and telegraphed?
From when their hand moves from their waist. Essentially it is from regular standing position (hands to the side) to impact.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see what the difference is from the chamber position at the side vs. the "chamber" position for a haymaker.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It's more or less impossible to get an accurate measure down to a few tenths, with a stop watch, as your measuring the reaction speed of the guy with the stop watch as much as you are the punch it's self. If it's going to take him 2 It 3 or 4 tenths to press the stop watching start and another two or 3or 4 tenths to stop it, how fast Was the punch ?

Video and counting frame rate is the only way to get an accurAte measure

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Essentially, based on the non-official numbers, the brain has about a quarter of a second to identify and react to an attack.
I hate to throw a wrench in your numbers? The brain actually reacts to a punch before the punch is actually thrown. A lot of what the brain is picking up is movement that looks as if it's going to hit the body and not specifically a punch. An example would be a bug that buzzes in your peripheral. You may not know if it's a bee or not. You brain just picks up the movement and reacts to it

The question isn't so much how much time your brain has to react, as it is, what will your brain do during that short amount of time. The brain picks up and analyzes an amazing amount of information. We often talk about punching and blocking as a singular event, but in reality 5 things or more would have happened before the punch or block reaches it's target.

OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I hate to throw a wrench in your numbers? The brain actually reacts to a punch before the punch is actually thrown. A lot of what the brain is picking up is movement that looks as if it's going to hit the body and not specifically a punch. An example would be a bug that buzzes in your peripheral. You may not know if it's a bee or not. You brain just picks up the movement and reacts to it

The question isn't so much how much time your brain has to react, as it is, what will your brain do during that short amount of time. The brain picks up and analyzes an amazing amount of information. We often talk about punching and blocking as a singular event, but in reality 5 things or more would have happened before the punch or block reaches it's target.

Thanks for the explanation. In hindsight I would have left my last comment out, as the purpose of the numbers was to demonstrate how quickly a punch can be delivered, not a calculation of reaction time.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The brAinn does not react before a punch is thrown, the brain doesn't react at all, it canT move, THE nervous system reacts,

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The average time it took a punch to get to the face (no cocking back): .24 seconds.
Does this include footwork? You have to pass the kicking range before you can enter the punching range. In order to pass the kicking rang, you will need footwork.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does this include footwork? You have to pass the kicking range before you can enter the punching range. In order to pass the kicking rang, you will need footwork.

No. It was just a person standing in front of a bag. It was meant to somewhat replicate a face-to-face punch from stand-still.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ummmm.... punching range is kicking range. Sure, there are kicking ranges at which you cannot punch effectively, but you can kick at punching range. The particulars of the kick may vary, but you can still use them.

Latest Discussions