Some speed punching numbers...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The brAinn does not react before a punch is thrown, the brain doesn't react at all, it canT move, THE nervous system reacts,
Do some research on the brain and how it functions. You do not have to move in order to react.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. In hindsight I would have left my last comment out, as the purpose of the numbers was to demonstrate how quickly a punch can be delivered, not a calculation of reaction time.
There's just so many variables that goes into a punch. Something as simple as, are you punching with or without adrenaline, can make all the difference of how fast a punch is and how much can be done within that time. Some people have tell-tale signs that they are about to punch. If you can pick up on those signs, then you'll be able to react before a punch is thrown. When you start to see patterns in someone's punching then you can react before a punch is actually thrown. Then there's the reaction time, some reactions take longer than others. Depending on how someone is standing a small shuffle back may be faster than lifting the arms to defend.

Your task of measuring punch speed and how much time a person may have to react to a punch is not an easy one. Older fighters will often beat speed with improved timing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do some research on the brain and how it functions. You do not have to move in order to react.
well clearly you do, the reaction time is exactly how long it takes you to start moving. If you don't move your reaction will be measured in hours

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
well clearly you do, the reaction time is exactly how long it takes you to start moving. If you don't move your reaction will be measured in hours
Close your eyes and let someone punch you in your face. Then tell me how well your nervous system reacted.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's just so many variables that goes into a punch. Something as simple as, are you punching with or without adrenaline, can make all the difference of how fast a punch is and how much can be done within that time. Some people have tell-tale signs that they are about to punch. If you can pick up on those signs, then you'll be able to react before a punch is thrown. When you start to see patterns in someone's punching then you can react before a punch is actually thrown. Then there's the reaction time, some reactions take longer than others. Depending on how someone is standing a small shuffle back may be faster than lifting the arms to defend.

Your task of measuring punch speed and how much time a person may have to react to a punch is not an easy one. Older fighters will often beat speed with improved timing.
if you move BEFORE a punch is thrown, your NOT reacting, your anticipating, that will get you disqualified in the Olympics sprint

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Close your eyes and let someone punch you in your face. Then tell me how well your nervous system reacted.
it reacts when my nose moves, it still requires movements by me and that has nothing at all to dp with measured reaction speed, that's pain responce

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if you move BEFORE a punch is thrown, your NOT reacting, your anticipating, that will get you disqualified in the Olympics sprint
From personal experience I can tell you it's not anticipating a punch. When you see a punch that is about to come, it's just that. You are seeing a punch before it actually fires. When it happens it is like every thing has suddenly slowed down and your opponent is moving in slow motion. This is what happens at a high level of perception. If you haven't experienced this before then keep training and eventually it will happen. A step below that does the same thing but it happens at intermediate level of perception and deals with peripheral vision.

If you only spar to win, then you'll never experience this. If you spar to learn and develop your abilities then you should have experienced one of these already.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
it reacts when my nose moves, it still requires movements by me and that has nothing at all to dp with measured reaction speed, that's pain responce
If you haven't done research on the brain then you won't know. This isn't stuff that I'm guessing at. It's already been proven in science.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From personal experience I can tell you it's not anticipating a punch. When you see a punch that is about to come, it's just that. You are seeing a punch before it actually fires. When it happens it is like every thing has suddenly slowed down and your opponent is moving in slow motion. This is what happens at a high level of perception. If you haven't experienced this before then keep training and eventually it will happen. A step below that does the same thing but it happens at intermediate level of perception and deals with peripheral vision.

If you only spar to win, then you'll never experience this. If you spar to learn and develop your abilities then you should have experienced one of these already.
if you react, BEFORE there is anything to react to, then your not by defintion reacting, your anticipating,all that cla trap about perception doesn't change that, its also a good way to get punched on th nose, if he does something you hadn't anticipated

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if you react, BEFORE there is anything to react to, then your not by defintion reacting, your anticipating,all that cla trap about perception doesn't change that, its also a good way to get punched on th nose, if he does something you hadn't anticipated
1. When does the movement of a punch start? Does it start in the hips? Does it start in the shoulder? Does it start by making the body tense? These are all movements that some people do before they punch. If the brain perceives this as the action that comes as part of a punch then you can react before the punch comes.

It is impossible to punch completely with your arms without any other muscles being used to fire the punch. The reason why this is so is because it takes body structure to support the extension of the arm.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1. When does the movement of a punch start? Does it start in the hips? Does it start in the shoulder? Does it start by making the body tense? These are all movements that some people do before they punch. If the brain perceives this as the action that comes as part of a punch then you can react before the punch comes.

It is impossible to punch completely with your arms without any other muscles being used to fire the punch. The reason why this is so is because it takes body structure to support the extension of the arm.
your ANTICIPATING not reacting, if you anticipate. A punch. And it turns out to b a head but, your in trouble

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
how can i look it up when it doesn't exist, how will i know when I've found it ?
Do a google search about the brain and how it reacts to stimuli, also look up brain function and brain reaction time. From there you'll find links to studies where you can see how they measured the brain. You can also google How the brain controls the body.

This will give you a good start. You will know when you find it because they make it very clear about the process. Brain perception is also another good search to do.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
your ANTICIPATING not reacting, if you anticipate. A punch. And it turns out to b a head but, your in trouble
It's not anticipating. Like I stated before, if you only spar to win then you aren't going to experience this. If you spar to learn and develop your skills then developing how your brain perceives and analyzes movement is one of the things that you will actively try to do, which will eventually lead to experiencing this.

I'll put it this way. I willing to bet that I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I've trained students who have experienced the same thing. And if you were to ask them the same thing then they will describe it the same thing as I'm describing it. (seeing a punch before it's a punch)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do a google search about the brain and how it reacts to stimuli, also look up brain function and brain reaction time. From there you'll find links to studies where you can see how they measured the brain. You can also google How the brain controls the body.

This will give you a good start. You will know when you find it because they make it very clear about the process. Brain perception is also another good search to do.
i know all that, but non of it agrees with you, sp you need to post it up or be wrong, your choice

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not anticipating. Like I stated before, if you only spar to win then you aren't going to experience this. If you spar to learn and develop your skills then developing how your brain perceives and analyzes movement is one of the things that you will actively try to do, which will eventually lead to experiencing this.

I'll put it this way. I willing to bet that I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I've trained students who have experienced the same thing. And if you were to ask them the same thing then they will describe it the same thing as I'm describing it. (seeing a punch before it's a punch)
and what if you see a punch and its a faint and you get head butted instead,

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
and what if you see a punch and its a faint and you get head butted instead,
Not everyone falls for a feint. There are boxers who clearly can tell between a feint and a committed punch. People who fall for a feint be it all the time or some of the time are not able to tell if the motion is committed to a punch or if it's committed to the feint. I'll use myself as an example, some punches you can't fool me with a feint but there are other punches where I have a difficulty in knowing if the punch is going to be fully committed or not.

Look at any evasive fighter and you'll see that fighter analyze real punches and feints.

sp you need to post it up or be wrong, your choice
I don't need to do anything. You have 3 choices. Believe what I say. Don't believe what I say, Or do your own research.

Latest Discussions