Some speed punching numbers...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no I'm pretty certain that a reaction is an out put , to a stimulus input, if the out put id adrenalin, then that's a reaction, the electrical impulse to the adrenaline grand is an input.

anticipation is your mind trying to predict the future using the past, which is always dodgy, i anticipate that all drivers wearing a hat are automatically homicidal maniac, basically d on a bad experience or five with hat wearing drivers, its saved mY Life
The input can be external - what is seen is input.

Whether you term something anticipation or early detection is largely a matter of semantics in how you define what movements are part of the punch.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The input can be external - what is seen is input.

Whether you term something anticipation or early detection is largely a matter of semantics in how you define what movements are part of the punch.
No it's largely a matter of SCIentific accuracy, you and the other guy are insisting on mixing up reaction and response, if I prick you with a pin you react, if you anticipate I'm going to prick you with a pin you respond( by moving),

The brain responds to a stimulus, the bIt Of your body it responds with reacts. You can have condition response, but that's still a response and not a reaction

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it's largely a matter of SCIentific accuracy, you and the other guy are insisting on mixing up reaction and response, if I prick you with a pin you react, if you anticipate I'm going to prick you with a pin you respond( by moving),

The brain responds to a stimulus, the bIt Of your body it responds with reacts. You can have condition response, but that's still a response and not a reaction
Nope. Even in science, visual stimuli are an input. That's sciencey and all. And the brain can (and does) react to that stimulus. The motor reaction you refer to is actually a reaction to a stimulus from the brain (specifically from the CNS to the PNS, an electro-chemical stimulus response chain to the muscles).

But go ahead and argue physiological psychology with me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nope. Even in science, visual stimuli are an input. That's sciencey and all. And the brain can (and does) react to that stimulus. The motor reaction you refer to is actually a reaction to a stimulus from the brain (specifically from the CNS to the PNS, an electro-chemical stimulus response chain to the muscles).

But go ahead and argue physiological psychology with me.
I give up. It's an ever changing dodge from one topic to the next. Instead of an honest discussion of value, Jobo only cares about debating. AKA. Arguing for the sake of Arguing, .

Latest Discussions