Some speed punching numbers...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't need evidence, I know it's not true, a negative can't be proved, I want you to admit you made a wild statement that you can't provided any evidence for and are no wriggling to get out of.
You just stated in your previous post that you asked for evidence.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well clearly you do, the reaction time is exactly how long it takes you to start moving. If you don't move your reaction will be measured in hours
A person's reaction time includes the response in the brain, signal time, and muscle movement - the entire chain. We can actually see reactions in the brain to stimuli - that's done with brain scans.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you move BEFORE a punch is thrown, your NOT reacting, your anticipating, that will get you disqualified in the Olympics sprint
You are reacting - just not to the punch. You're reacting to something that tells you the punch is coming.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You are reacting - just not to the punch. You're reacting to something that tells you the punch is coming.
Sometimes that process tells you to be still vs moving. Someone who tries to bait you to throw a punch. Emotional and mental reactions don't require movememt. A body may react by increasing adrenaline which doesn't require physical movement from the body.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometimes that process tells you to be still vs moving. Someone who tries to bait you to throw a punch. Emotional and mental reactions don't require movememt. A body may react by increasing adrenaline which doesn't require physical movement from the body.
So much goes on before the brain decides the body should move in response to a punch. Not sure why Jobo makes a big deal of something that can be researched

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A person's reaction time includes the response in the brain, signal time, and muscle movement - the entire chain. We can actually see reactions in the brain to stimuli - that's done with brain scans.
No you don't see reactions in the brain, you see electrical impulse that lead to reactions elsewhere,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And that's called anticipation, That's leads to you blocking a punch that never comes, pretend to throw an object at some one and their arms go up in anticipation, they can't be said to have reacted to the throw, as the object was never released, They just anticipated it would be

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No you don't see reactions in the brain, you see electrical impulse that lead to reactions elsewhere,
Electrical impulses ARE the brain's reactions. And they don't always lead to reactions elsewhere (though they usually do).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that's called anticipation, That's leads to you blocking a punch that never comes, pretend to throw an object at some one and their arms go up in anticipation, they can't be said to have reacted to the throw, as the object was never released, They just anticipated it would be
Anticipation is a reaction to an indicator. You're being purposely difficult, because you don't want to admit that "reaction" doesn't just mean what you do to avoid a punch. Brains react to a large amount of stimulus, and only a small portion turns into muscle movement. A larger portion turns into secretions, and another portion occurs entirely within the brain.

But go ahead and argue. Your arguments won't change (they rarely do, except to dodge the original issue), and won't add value unless they do change.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Electrical impulses ARE the brain's reactions. And they don't always lead to reactions elsewhere (though they usually do).
The brain can't be said to act, therefore it canT react, the electrical impulses cause action and therefore reaction else where in the body. If those don't occurs then NOTHING happen no action no reaction. If my brain tells my leg to move and it doesn't no action. If I send a pulse from my key board to my computer and nothing appear on the screen then there was no reaction

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anticipation is a reaction to an indicator. You're being purposely difficult, because you don't want to admit that "reaction" doesn't just mean what you do to avoid a punch. Brains react to a large amount of stimulus, and only a small portion turns into muscle movement. A larger portion turns into secretions, and another portion occurs entirely within the brain.

But go ahead and argue. Your arguments won't change (they rarely do, except to dodge the original issue), and won't add value unless they do change.
Anticipation is a cognitive logic function and a subjective one at that, not a simple reaction to stimulas

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Anticipation also can be a false reaction. By false I mean that the person is guessing what comes next instead of seeing what comes next. If I throw 5 jabs the what will my 6th punch be. If a person prepares for a 6th jab then the person isn't reacting to what they see. They are anticipating it. If that 6th punch is a hook and not a jab, then is the person reacting to the punch or is his action based on what he thinks is coming.

One of things that trainers often say is "stop anticipating the punch and start seeing the punch."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The brain can't be said to act, therefore it canT react, the electrical impulses cause action and therefore reaction else where in the body. If those don't occurs then NOTHING happen no action no reaction. If my brain tells my leg to move and it doesn't no action. If I send a pulse from my key board to my computer and nothing appear on the screen then there was no reaction
You appear to be assuming action can only be muscular. Using that assumption, you'd be correct. If we assume an action is a change of state that accomplishes something, then electrical and chemical actions do exist.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anticipation also can be a false reaction. By false I mean that the person is guessing what comes next instead of seeing what comes next. If I throw 5 jabs the what will my 6th punch be. If a person prepares for a 6th jab then the person isn't reacting to what they see. They are anticipating it. If that 6th punch is a hook and not a jab, then is the person reacting to the punch or is his action based on what he thinks is coming.

One of things that trainers often say is "stop anticipating the punch and start seeing the punch."
Agreed. It's a reaction to an indicator, but in that case the sequence doesn't follow the recognized pattern. It's the same pattern error that occurs when we fall for a feint, though the feint is dependent upon specific visual cues (the beginning moves of the specific punch are used to lead them to believe that punch is coming) and your example is dependent upon generalized visual cues (the beginning moves of ANY punch are generalized to a specific punch).

EDIT: Technically, not a "false reaction", but a "false interpretation". It comes out to largely the same thing if we don't get pedantic.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You appear to be assuming action can only be muscular. Using that assumption, you'd be correct. If we assume an action is a change of state that accomplishes something, then electrical and chemical actions do exist.
no I'm pretty certain that a reaction is an out put , to a stimulus input, if the out put id adrenalin, then that's a reaction, the electrical impulse to the adrenaline grand is an input.

anticipation is your mind trying to predict the future using the past, which is always dodgy, i anticipate that all drivers wearing a hat are automatically homicidal maniac, basically d on a bad experience or five with hat wearing drivers, its saved mY Life

Latest Discussions