SKK Combos

Comb 18 I think we are here???

for me i never move backwards to move forwards. so

as the attacker comes in I do not draw back into a cat stance and do a low block.

I have my body leaning to my left side alittle to draw the attacker to that side. as I see motion from him or her. I shift to my right and step out to a angle 7 as I deliver a left back hand strike to my attackers temple area.
I then place my left hand on the attackers shoulder and settle there hips and put wieght in there feet freezeing them for a second as i deliever a left knee to there mid section. as they bend or fold I shift my body and deliver a right elbow to the spine and then follow it with a right hammer strike to there jaw or head area. step and cover.

The ending is the same i learned it just the starting i have changed a little.
your thoughts
thanks
kosho

Right cat stance, downward, inside/out parry block to allow thier momentum to continue towards me. Step in with the left foot, to the inside of the opponents stance. Here I provide a leg check to the knee to upset the balance of the opponent while delivering a left back hand strike to the right side of the opponents face, along the jaw line. Important here to step to the inside, this is to not expose your groin. Grab the opponents left shoulder, pull and drop the elbow to move the opponent off his/her center. Drop the left foot back, deliver a downward elbow strike to the spine as the opponent falls, followed by a right reverse hammer strike to the temple as I pull them into that strike with my left grasp of thier shoulder.

Comb 18 I think we are here???

for me i never move backwards to move forwards. so

as the attacker comes in I do not draw back into a cat stance and do a low block.

I have my body leaning to my left side alittle to draw the attacker to that side. as I see motion from him or her. I shift to my right and step out to a angle 7 as I deliver a left back hand strike to my attackers temple area.
I then place my left hand on the attackers shoulder and settle there hips and put wieght in there feet freezeing them for a second as i deliever a left knee to there mid section. as they bend or fold I shift my body and deliver a right elbow to the spine and then follow it with a right hammer strike to there jaw or head area. step and cover.

The ending is the same i learned it just the starting i have changed a little.
your thoughts
thanks
kosho

I step back towards 5:00 so as not to be in the direct line of attack...does that count as a move twice yet? :)as i sink into a cat stance with a left open hand downward block. I "wave" foward from 5:00 with a back hand strike to th temple as i step into a forward stance. I continue the motion of my arm circular and downwards . press. as i step with the right leg into a horse stance and strike with a dropping elbow to the spine.
I like this technique for the power derive fro mthe wave - like motion of the strike and for the disruption of balance used with the angle of counter and spinal manipulation ( neck)

Respectfully,
marlon

How about using the arm break when someone grabs one hand by the throat. Any thoughts on using 16 as a grab technique begining with a loosing strike to the shin.

Sounds good. I think you would have to step towards 4:00 instead of stepping back if the attack was a two handed strike. I prefer it for a hirt grab than a choke b/c the kick might just have the person collapse forward and bend their arms enough to increase the difficulty of the rest of the combo..and well when you are being choked time is a big factor

Respectfully,
marlon

DM #17 I would never half moon forward without an inner leg check. Any one have a version with a leg check?

In my opinion the face strike is more important than the groin strike since it is needed to stop the left punch.

When you hold a person in one spot and then hit them in the same spot one term used is anchoring (like wrap the head then thrust punch to nose) at the same time. When you hit someone in the nose then the groin such as in Pinan 2 one term is bouncing. When you hit the groin and face at the same time the body cannot do it's normal adjustment. Anyone have a name for this?

Maybe this was gone over on 10, but there should be 4 parts practiced on the takedown for 17. Shuto to neck, Pulling opponents right arm, Dropping the weight and twisting the hips. OR Pull head to shoulder, Pulling opponents right arm, Dropping the weight and twisting the hips.

Spin 270 Degrees as this is when the opponent will stop spinning.

Thrust, Inverted thrust, then spearhand. Any other variations on the end?

Every time you step i can be a kick, i try to teach the combo in a set manner but do show these kinds of variations (good for teaching forms also). I use the head pull in 10 and concentrate on getting the takedown with the shuto and off balance with the arm control, i like to train different things with different combos.. my ending is rt front 2 knuckle , lt front 2 knuckle ( to the ribs)and inverted spear to the throat. Shihan I often uses a driving knife to the neck as a final strike.

Respectfully,
marlon

Every time you step i can be a kick, i try to teach the combo in a set manner but do show these kinds of variations (good for teaching forms also). I use the head pull in 10 and concentrate on getting the takedown with the shuto and off balance with the arm control, i like to train different things with different combos.. my ending is rt front 2 knuckle , lt front 2 knuckle ( to the ribs)and inverted spear to the throat. Shihan I often uses a driving knife to the neck as a final strike.

Respectfully,
marlon

DM # 10 Would you consider a leg check integral to using 10 off a real punch? If not do you consider the groin strike the stopping mechanism for the left punch or perhaps right hand going from the strike position to a check position as it chambers for the shuto strike?

DM # 16 My concern with the lapel/shirt grab is the position of the arm. I always think of the attacker as having their arm heavily bent. Any thoughts on being able to extend the arm from that grab version or just go to the regular lapel/shirt grab if they bend the arm?

Marlon,
When you have a action. and you react to that action you are playing defense.
( punch , block punch, block)

when you have a action and react to that and cause a action then you have just taken control of the action. so you are now in theary controlling your attackers movements. that is one of many ways to move twice...

DM # 10 Would you consider a leg check integral to using 10 off a real punch? If not do you consider the groin strike the stopping mechanism for the left punch or perhaps right hand going from the strike position to a check position as it chambers for the shuto strike?

DM # 16 My concern with the lapel/shirt grab is the position of the arm. I always think of the attacker as having their arm heavily bent. Any thoughts on being able to extend the arm from that grab version or just go to the regular lapel/shirt grab if they bend the arm?

For 10 you could use a stop kck, however i keep a strong aiki flow with this combo.

for 16 by stepping to 2:00 th arm thing is neutralized, also, a kick to the bladder can help extend thier arms also

Marlon

Marlon,
When you have a action. and you react to that action you are playing defense.
( punch , block punch, block)

when you have a action and react to that and cause a action then you have just taken control of the action. so you are now in theary controlling your attackers movements. that is one of many ways to move twice...

We were discussing the combo from a punch i thought.

And for 18 the initial move could be a downward tiger rake to the face as you sink your your center (cat stance...?) then attack the spine through the neck while stepping into or towards the persons' center line etc....
i was only playing before. thanks fo the thoughts though kosho conceptualizations an vocabulary are interesting and helpful

Respectfully,
Marlon

all the combs can be done from a punch, a grab, a kife, a club...
with this in mind, combs now become a ton of information.
as far as the move twice. Sorry I thought that was a real question.
I try and stay with in the subject the best I can but some times you must step out side the box... LOL
In class last night we where working some combs. I just love the physical part of training. and looking deeper into what has been passed on.
Kempo grows every day as you change so does kempo.
are we on comb 19 now?
Take care
Kosho

I try and stay with in the subject the best I can but some times you must step out side the box... LOL
In class last night we where working some combs. I just love the physical part of training. and looking deeper into what has been passed on.
are we on comb 19 now?
Take care
Kosho

I am always reluctant to post something that might be seen as a disagreement. Hopefully it will be understood I am not disagreeing just clarifying my thoughts on my interpretation of applying the above post.

In my humble opinion, a DM may be usable for several attacks, but it must be remembered that if you force the DM to stay exactly the same or too close to the same you will often violate SK principles. For instance DM 17 against an overhead club would violate the "always move toward a club unless the person is to far to hit you principle". The twin tigers would have to be modified since they would violate the "always maintain control of the weapon principle". If I modify the technique than obviously that is a different story.

I would say the two primary things to alter to vary a technique from one situation to the next are footwork & the block/evasion/etc.

You can't force every DM to make sense off of every type of attack in my humble opinion. DM 3 is probably best off attacks where you can move to the outside. Although I am sure many of you guys/gals are more talented than I am and can start on the inside and rotate back to the outside without making the technique to whacky.

Take care
Kosho

I believe this and we work with this idea to some extent.

But we have seperate categories:
26 "Shaolin Defense Maneuvers" (vs punch or punches)
15 Grab defenses
10 Knife defenses
10 Club defenses
10 Gun defenses

do other SKK schools organize them like this? or is that why you all have 108 combos :)

I believe this and we work with this idea to some extent.

But we have seperate categories:
26 "Shaolin Defense Maneuvers" (vs punch or punches)
15 Grab defenses
10 Knife defenses
10 Club defenses
10 Gun defenses

do other SKK schools organize them like this? or is that why you all have 108 combos :)

If I remember the Knife, Club and Gun counters were all up to the individual Cheif Intsructors.

I'm a bit behind on this, so I'll go ahead and post 16, 17, and 18.

16: step back with right as you do 2 inward parry strikes to the arm, one at wrist level and the other at the elbow. Right front kick to the groin. Land forward with right. Step over arm with left. Opponents arm is now between your legs. Break. Step over with right and punch to the head.

17: Right steps back. I had the next move as a right inward/left outward parry. Step forward striking the face and groin with tiger claw strikes. Wrap arm with your left. Right bearpaw to the head, pulling their head to your chest. Left steps back taking them down. Right punch to the face and a left, right spear hand to throat.

18: Draw back into a left cat, as you downward parry the punch with your left. Step forward with left delivering a left bent wrist strike to the face. Left hand grabs the back of the neck. Step back with left, pulling opponent down. Right downward elbow to back. Pivot and deliver a right hammerfist strike to side of head.

Ill give mine too.

16: Two tiger mouth's to incom ing punch, with right kick to the groin. Arm bar captured arm at right hip, step over and break by twisting, step over and punch to the neck/mastoid.

!7. My last version, just step in with the right foot, bobbing and weaving (for those who said it doesn't exist in SKK), left claw to face and right claw to groin, wrap punching arm with left, bear claw/ or just come up with a plam heel to the chin, while pulling the them down, and punch, punch spear to throat.

18. Draw back into left cat stance, lightly press blocking punch with your left hand, pulling them in slightly. Spring forward with a left back hand (straight on, putting your weight behind it) reach behind head, grab, and quickly pull forward, while stepping back with the left foot. Drop right elbow to spine, and hammer to side of face.

SK101 Thats whats great about this web page. and SKK what are base Idears and what I think works for me and my students may not work as well for you or others. And thats ok. I take what some of you say here and lisen and some others I just do not...

Most if not all my SKK now has kosho idears behind them From
Master Evans and Hanshi Juchnik teachings.

Comb 19. the punch comes in and I shift to a angle 6 as I deliver a open hand # 2 block. I deliver a front kick to the attackers center.
as he bends from this I deliver a left palm strike to his jaw. and follow this with by grabbing the back of his head. and delivering a right elbow to his back. taking my right hand i shift his hip and press with my left hand
by his neck and twist head and neck down ward to roll the attacker. once down i deliver a shuto to the throat.
I think thats how I learned it back then...
Kosho

19: This is one that always gave me problems.

Step back with right. Execute a left outward block. Right front kick to groin. The left hand delivers a palm/push down to the head. Right elbow to the back. Right hand grabs to the groin as you push the head down with the left, flipping the person over. Right spear hand to throat.

My problem with this tech is the flip. Maybe I'm missing a fine point, but I just can't see this working with ease.

I'm open for suggestions/tips. :)

Mike

Drop right foot back into left foot forward half-moon stance.
Use #2 open hand block.
Right instep kick to groin, land in right foot forward half-moon stance.
Left shuto (knife hand) strike to side of neck, wrap and pull head down and to your right side.
Right downward elbow to the spine.
Right hand grabs belt while pressing opponent down with elbow.
Left hand grabs opponents right ankle to control as you flip him over.
Right shuto (knife hand) to the throat.

are we on comb 19 now?
Take care
Kosho

True. During the recent seminar, I got some pretty good ideas from Jesse Dwire on #1. :)

Back