Reaction score
He is at cape cod yes????

and a student of prof ingargiloa and Prof kimo's
i think
kosho

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
19: This is one that always gave me problems.

Step back with right. Execute a left outward block. Right front kick to groin. The left hand delivers a palm/push down to the head. Right elbow to the back. Right hand grabs to the groin as you push the head down with the left, flipping the person over. Right spear hand to throat.

My problem with this tech is the flip. Maybe I'm missing a fine point, but I just can't see this working with ease.

I'm open for suggestions/tips. :)

Mike

I never step back with this one nor with 17. 0/Pen hand block 2 with a left snap kick to the groin. I find that a front ball kick pushes them away. I have a left shuto to the neck then grab the neck and pull downwards as the right leg steps to uke's center with a rt dropping elbow. After the elbow it is important to press down as you slide your hand to the back of the neck. the strike to the groin helps to create the necessary dynamic for the attacker to be rolled over the center axis. make a cw circle with the hands and do not just press down and get your back leg out of the way...if it is the right leg step to the left into a forward stance (left).More of a roll than a flip, really. End with a knife to the throat.

Respectfully,
Marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe this and we work with this idea to some extent.

But we have seperate categories:
26 "Shaolin Defense Maneuvers" (vs punch or punches)
15 Grab defenses
10 Knife defenses
10 Club defenses
10 Gun defenses

do other SKK schools or

this is what we require to test for shodan
Material For Shodan:
Teaching ability, knowledge and understanding and skill with the basics and all previous curriculum material​
23 Combinations​
: 1-20, 24, 21, 26
12 knife techniques: uppercut, 2 straight to the stomach, straight Ghately, 3 overhead, 2 slashing, slash and miss, pointed at the neck, at the neck from behind​
8clubs​
: slashing to the ground, double clubs, straight in poke, overhead, slashing front and behind, rolling elbow, push
2 guns: close range and distant​
15 takedowns​
: Concept of taking both pillars and related techniques, judo lift, sweep and pull with the legs, leopard tackle, front and back sweep, o’goshi, ippon, tai otoshi, leverage arm and leg (circular), hip block, hock down, kneel down, tiger roll​
25 Animals​
: 5 leopards, 5 tigers, 5 cranes, 5 dragons, 5 snakes​
15 SSDC​
: 3 Dragons, 3 snakes, 3 tigers, 3 leopards, 3 cranes​
11 Drills​
: Sparring multiple opponents, blindfolded kumite, sticky legs, kempo sparring to the ground, bo set, back grabs with motion, blocking multiple attackers, shadow boxing, gauntlet, dragon circle, techniques against multiple hand strikes and kicks​
27 Jujitsu’s​
: Arm lock to the ground, escapes from grabs, elbow lock to chest, elbow lock to the back, arm lock and against the wall, 2 lapel grabs, front strangle and 2 from the rear, 4 double lapel grabs, wrist grab single and double, bear hug, head lock front and side, front ball and roundhouse counters, 2 full nelson, hair grab front and rear​
18 forms​
: 1-5 pinan, 1-5 kata, Statue of the Crane, Heian Nidan, 2 Man Fist Set, jo form, bo form 1, Shushi No Kon Sho, rising sun, pushing palm​
Respectfully,
Marlon

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS, Thanks I will check out his web page..
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
this is what we require to test for shodan

Material For Shodan:
Teaching ability, knowledge and understanding and skill with the basics and all previous curriculum material​
23 Combinations​
: 1-20, 24, 21, 26
12 knife techniques: uppercut, 2 straight to the stomach, straight Ghately, 3 overhead, 2 slashing, slash and miss, pointed at the neck, at the neck from behind​
8clubs​
: slashing to the ground, double clubs, straight in poke, overhead, slashing front and behind, rolling elbow, push
2 guns: close range and distant​
15 takedowns​
: Concept of taking both pillars and related techniques, judo lift, sweep and pull with the legs, leopard tackle, front and back sweep, o’goshi, ippon, tai otoshi, leverage arm and leg (circular), hip block, hock down, kneel down, tiger roll​
25 Animals​
: 5 leopards, 5 tigers, 5 cranes, 5 dragons, 5 snakes​
15 SSDC​
: 3 Dragons, 3 snakes, 3 tigers, 3 leopards, 3 cranes​
11 Drills​
: Sparring multiple opponents, blindfolded kumite, sticky legs, kempo sparring to the ground, bo set, back grabs with motion, blocking multiple attackers, shadow boxing, gauntlet, dragon circle, techniques against multiple hand strikes and kicks​
27 Jujitsu’s​
: Arm lock to the ground, escapes from grabs, elbow lock to chest, elbow lock to the back, arm lock and against the wall, 2 lapel grabs, front strangle and 2 from the rear, 4 double lapel grabs, wrist grab single and double, bear hug, head lock front and side, front ball and roundhouse counters, 2 full nelson, hair grab front and rear​
18 forms​
: 1-5 pinan, 1-5 kata, Statue of the Crane, Heian Nidan, 2 Man Fist Set, jo form, bo form 1, Shushi No Kon Sho, rising sun, pushing palm​
Respectfully,
Marlon

1st degree for my students.

kempo's 1-32
combs 1-26
hand strike 35
blocks 1-8 / 1-8 w counter 1-8 open hand 1-8 closed/
10 point / 10 point w strike / leaf blocking
kicks 18
stances 10 different
strong on history / counting to 1 - 100 / passed teachers
Octagon work / shodo / Kosho priciaples / katana parts and 5 katas
shiatsu basics / Pressure points basics
forms 1-5 pinion /1-5 kata /statue of Crane/ circle of leopard /
staff for 1 / nunchuk form 1 / neko buto shodan / junn ippo 1-3
pinion, shodan, nidan, sandan, Etc. total (5) pinion geri
North side / south side
I think thats it (26) (31) with katanas
self defense 1-5 of grabs etc. for a total of (40)
Gound work there are about 75 teq here...Just ground work
Dot man / Naga work / and a 100 question and a 5 page written paper before a 2 day 16 hr test... Give or take... spelling and what not I rushed this but thats about it to 1st degree
About 6 - 8 years to get there under me...
Kosho

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shodan Requirements -

DMs 2-9,11-18,21,26
Kempos - None
Clubs - Overhead 1-3, Side 1-2, Straight Knife 1-3, Special knife defenses such as knife to throat ect.
Guns - 1-3
8 Point Blocking, 10 Point, 4 Point, Plumtree, 11 Hands of Shaolin(Buddah)
Weapons(Nunchuck etc) - None
Pinans(Pinions 1-5), Katas(1-2), Statu(r)e of the Crane,
Two Person Fist Set N/S, Pinan 1 w/kicks
Ability to spar full size adults no matter the age of student
Grab Sets 1-3

Everything else I teach is to practice, but not to memorize unless the student has an easy time with all areas - sparring, fitness, shodan requirements, etc., etc., etc.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i left out stances , hand strikes and kick because well...no good reason i guess. but i should haver included 8 point open and closed with natural strikes, ten point, 4 point and plum tree, bo blocking, palm trap wind mill dragon trap...

marlon

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
But if you look at the over all core of all of us its just about the same..
Take care,
kosho

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It looks like the material covered is all pretty much there, we just have defined and numbered the weapon techs.

We have lots of other stuff req'd for shodan, that's just the techniques...

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually Master Dwire is in Chelmsford. Master Hatch (and me as well) is in Cape Cod

Thanks,
Look forward to meeting you some time..
kosho

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
shodan requirements look very close to what I have as well. 1-21 combos plus 26 30-40 kempo punch techniques. 5 of each knife defense and club defense that's 20 total techniques there plus 1-6 kata 1-5 pinan stature of crane, both sides of two man fist set 10 point, plum tree and buhda palms blocking system. and all the other stuff. power, fluidity, solid stances, sparring and fighting ability, ground fighting techniques, balance, the combos alone will show knowledge of 13 take downs ( I know that some are very similar but the principles are different) as well as a dozen take downs in the kempo techniques. as well as the basic strikes kicks and movement drills. and still more after that!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Alright.

My last version...Side step to your right, with your right foot, #2 open knife hand block (strike) at the wrist, and right tiger mouth to the throat. Wrap up arm with your left arm, Right leg hok, with a right round elbow to jaw, or chest area, for takedown. Right front punch, right knife hand.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
#20 - Slight side step to the right, really more of a weight shift to the right, since we start in a fighting stance anyway. Both hands chamber high over the right shoulder. Step drag inward with the left foot. Left knife hand strikes the opponents lower right arm. Right downward knife hand strikes the opponents left clavicle. Left arm wraps the opponents right arm above the right elbow. Right leg hock down with right hand tigers mouth to the throat. Finish the same, right front punch to the face, right circular knife hand strike to the nose.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
#20 - Slight side step to the right, really more of a weight shift to the right, since we start in a fighting stance anyway. Both hands chamber high over the right shoulder. Step drag inward with the left foot. Left knife hand strikes the opponents lower right arm. Right downward knife hand strikes the opponents left clavicle. Left arm wraps the opponents right arm above the right elbow. Right leg hock down with right hand tigers mouth to the throat. Finish the same, right front punch to the face, right circular knife hand strike to the nose.

That was my original version too. Just figured I'd go with, what apparenty is the now version.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That was my original version too. Just figured I'd go with, what apparenty is the now version.

Well, I'm definately a proponent for contact, I actually like closing the distance hard with torso and leg contact, that knocks the opponent off balance ... it hits hard ... and it also takes the possible left out of the picture. If I miss the wrap, the opponent is fighting to gain balance, I still have the advantage to follow up.