Should BB test be held in a Seedy Dive Bar!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First requirement for passing the test would be to not be a damned idiot and get in any fights while you were there.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this a strip bar don't want female BB candidates to fell strange going in.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that used to be part of the BB test in a lot of schools, at least in Korea, to have to fight two or three current BB holders. Also to create your own kata. I have no idea what the standards are now. I am only going off people I knew who attained BBs in the 60's, both in the US and Korea.
This was in the USA but the club was run by an ex-serviceman who had trained in Korea. I thought the idea of always failing at least 1 or 2 candidates no matter what was harsh. Every bb there could roughhouse though. No doubt at all that he produced fighting dans.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I find this entire thread insulting.

As an avid diver, I've been in many dive bars around the world, and I have never seen a single fight, so the implication that divers are violent is silly. Although we do generally carry a knife underwater (in case of entanglement), most don't carry above water.
The biggest disagreement I've seen in a dive bar was over the choice of using 80%O2 as a deco gas starting at 30 feet, or waiting till you get to 20 feet and using 100%.

Stop picking on divers! We're a peaceful bunch, mostly!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know this thread is kind of tongue and cheek, but I have heard of schools that would take their potential BB's into a bar and egg a fight on for their test. This was in the 70's when things like this weren't exactly frowned upon.

Reminds me of my instructor. He has admonished the BB's several times, with statements like "Complancency in training equals an *** kicking in the street". Also, when some BB's were getting cocky, he named one of the local hangouts for a lot of hands-on blue collar workers and said he'd be glad to take them down there and have those guys show them a thing or two about what hard physical labor and a tough attitude will do for you, training or not.

People need to realize that being a BB isn't some magical level that makes you invincible. It also means very different things based on style/school/organization etc. For many, it just means you are ready to really start learning.

There are still some clubs that sort of make their guys bounce.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I like the idea, a BB test held in a seedy dive bar. I get to get hammered tossing back numerous Sam Adams drafts while watching dudes get hammered going through their paces, LOL... :drink2tha

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this a strip bar don't want female BB candidates to fell strange going in.

Of course it is a strip bar, how else would you test if a BB candidate can stay focus in the face of distraction? About the female candidates, just call ahead and make sure the club got male talent on stage that night.

Heck this testing also solves the problem with kid BBs since they can`t get into the bar and it is past their bedtime anyway.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you lose points for use of the bokken but would gain points for use of a chair or pool cue. If you hit one of the dancers (girl) you also lose points

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In order to discuss we'd have to define the word "seedy". Are we talking a real sleaze joint, or a joint one of our younger sisters might work in few nights a week and it's no big deal? And as for the strippers, we all know you strip like you train. Or not, depending on the strippers relationship with the stripee. And if the strippers throw off their thongs, do said thongs actually land on the patrons? Or is it a no-contact kind of thong fling thing?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
And if the strippers throw off their thongs, do said thongs actually land on the patrons? Or is it a no-contact kind of thong fling thing?

I think thrown thongs is one of the rare occations where blocking with your face is acceptable and indeed the prefered receiving technique.

(Catching them on a bokken is also okay for Kendo candidates, but no other waving wood at the ladies)

Last edited:
OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok this has gone a direction I did not foresee. :lfao::cheers::rpo:

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kind of a fun questions since many people use this analogy! Can a BB or prospective BB defend him/herself in a bar fight scenario?

If that is the criteria, the answer is no. They fail the test by going into the bar in the first place.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If that is the criteria, the answer is no. They fail the test by going into the bar in the first place.

Right? You'd think they would have ducked or something ;)

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just finished watching Danny McBride's low-budget 2006 taekwondo comedy "The Foot Fist Way" (The Foot Fist Way (2006) - IMDb) and one of the early quotable lines of the film reminded me of this thread...

McBride's character is teaching a taekwondo class and loudly admonishes his students to 'watch their forms' as they spar: "C'mon, this isn't a street fight, this is taekwondo!"

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
A TKD BB is not bullet proof or stab proof, even is not strike/kick/submition poof, as you may see everithing colud happen. Yes the BB may defend his/her self against a bad guy or maybe two in a bar fight... or not. Just because we are BB 's we are not super fighters.

Manny

Latest Discussions