JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most of my training build on the "pull guard". As long as you have 2 plans:

When you pull guard, your opponent may

- resist, or.
- yield.
That's how I think of it too. if they resist then I can pin the guard if they yield then I can lengthen the guard out and downward. I should be fine as long as my hand can restrict my opponents use of his arm and maintain superior attack and control position. This way I still have 2 striking hands with on hand that has a grappling option.

One of my rules is "Always deal with the lead hand"

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I don't know you at all, so maybe all that is true.

It certainly doesn't match my experience, but ok.

The guys I train with would quickly feed you your mouth guard while you waved your arms around like that and gave that much notice for your strikes.

When I'm watching your vids I can see them a few beats before they have any intent behind them.
Just an FYI, he's posted videos of him sparring with people of different disciplines. At least muay thai, and I think boxing. If you look through his post history you might be able to find them.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just an FYI, he's posted videos of him sparring with people of different disciplines. At least muay thai, and I think boxing. If you look through his post history you might be able to find them.
I had to take a lot of them down in the past but they'll be back as I'm in the process of building a video library. I'll add to them by getting into some of the details. A lot of what I know will be lost if I don't start documenting it while I still understand what was going on in the videos.

Hopefully some of it will help others as they train in their systems. I'll be able to record some new sparring videos once my back fully heals.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is another boxing video showing the same technique. 1:18. watch the circular motion.

Latest Discussions