Self Training...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint Strickland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
and you are not a rocket scientist........and you are not even a beginner. you are a kid walking around in a dark room.
just carry on with what you are doing and leave the real learning to the people that want to learn.

So you mean to tell me theres a secret hidden code on learning hjow to swing a sword? Well if there is pleas by all means share it with us ......... thought so :)

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Clint Strickland said:
So you mean to tell me theres a secret hidden code on learning hjow to swing a sword? Well if there is pleas by all means share it with us ......... thought so :)

We did.

Clint Strickland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh also I forgot to ask, why are you always downing Wolf, has he done anything to you????? I don't really think so, so why don't you just go bust into someone elses life. :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Clint Strickland said:
Oh really I don't think I cought it.... please by all means

Being a martial arts student involves integrity in learning, integrity in teaching and honesty and responsibility for one's own deeds. Swinging a sword around??? The masters, the greats, and even the true wannabes know that this is SO not what you want to do.

Your attitudes belie your intentions.

Ronin, you say everyone does their own lawns. Have you bothered to OFFER? Have you thought of ASKING?? I'd be willing to bet you dollars to donuts that SOMEONE on your street is willing to pay you to do something IF YOU ARE PERSISTENT.

Wanna learn? Find a way to learn from the masters. Wanna earn some money to afford lessons? Then hike your butt from house to house all around your neighborhood and do what everyone else does - earn their way. Find a master who will let you clean the dojo in exchange for lessons, or babysit their children or clean his/her car. Help plant and weed a garden for a disabled individual. Walk dogs. Clean their poop up for owners. Carry groceries in for the elderly. Just because you see them doing it themselves doesn't mean they ought to be doing it, like doing it, or are not comfortable letting you do it for money.

But do not ... DO NOT ... come in here and insult seasoned swordsmen by saying you are training because you are not nor by saying there is any other excuse for your not training other than you won't work for what you think you want. A TRUE martial artist will NOT do this. You are not exhibiting bushido which means you clearly need to learn it from someone else.

Good luck.

Clint Strickland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Being a martial arts student involves integrity in learning, integrity in teaching and honesty and responsibility for one's own deeds. Swinging a sword around??? The masters, the greats, and even the true wannabes know that this is SO not what you want to do.

Your attitudes belie your intentions.

Ronin, you say everyone does their own lawns. Have you bothered to OFFER? Have you thought of ASKING?? I'd be willing to bet you dollars to donuts that SOMEONE on your street is willing to pay you to do something IF YOU ARE PERSISTENT.

Wanna learn? Find a way to learn from the masters. Wanna earn some money to afford lessons? Then hike your butt from house to house all around your neighborhood and do what everyone else does - earn their way. Find a master who will let you clean the dojo in exchange for lessons, or babysit their children or clean his/her car. Help plant and weed a garden for a disabled individual. Walk dogs. Clean their poop up for owners. Carry groceries in for the elderly. Just because you see them doing it themselves doesn't mean they ought to be doing it, like doing it, or are not comfortable letting you do it for money.

But do not ... DO NOT ... come in here and insult seasoned swordsmen by saying you are training because you are not nor by saying there is any other excuse for your not training other than you won't work for what you think you want. A TRUE martial artist will NOT do this. You are not exhibiting bushido which means you clearly need to learn it from someone else.

Good luck.

Well have you ever been to his nieghborhood???? No you havn't theres only like 5 houses where he lives, and i know he has asked around, do you well it seems like you don't. As far as cleaning a Dojo, the nearest on is an hour away, and I don't think he can afford to do that often. So yeah before you bash him, you should know him. :)

No offense :)

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

Ok in case someone does not get it, my name is RONIN!!!!
which means, i have no master, i do what i want, i train how i want, and no, i dont live by the *laughs* bushido.... way of doing things. *grin*
I am a ronin, i do it my way, cause thats the way i do it.

RONIN Wolf-master

Clint Strickland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ronin Wolf-master said:
which means, i have no master, i do what i want, i train how i want, and no, i dont live by the *laughs* bushido.... way of doing things. *grin*

RONIN Wolf-master

* Agrees*

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yet you clearly don't recommend being Ronin, as you stated in your first post on this thread?

But judging from your actions, reactions to experienced swordsmen on this thread, perhaps Ronin is indeed the path for you since you clearly have no respect for yourself nor anyone else here.

Good day.

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

I have been quite respectful of everyone on here, but some of the people on here are the ones that arent listening and that are getting attitudes with me, first.
yes i did say that, no you dont want to have the life of a wandering ronin, but yes I DO! :uhyeah:

Ronin Wolf-master

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ronin Wolf-master said:

RONIN Wolf-master

A ronin had a master at one point who has either died, been disgraced, or the samurai in question had been ostracized or refused further employment. There was little honor in being a ronin, you would have been an object of scorn and humiliation. Just because you were a ronin didn't mean you lived without rules and did what you wanted, you probably would have been so ashamed at your disgrace you would have killed yourself.

Dictionary.com said:
Bu·shi·do n. The traditional code of the Japanese samurai, stressing honor, self-discipline, bravery, and simple living.

If you're not living by principles like this...what are you living by?

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

I did not say i was after honor, now did I?
A ronin, does not have a master, it does not mean he actualy had to have one, it simply meant also, just some guy with a (one) sword on his side (instead of the traditional 2 that the samurai wore as a trade mark.)
In other words.... me.

Ronin Wolf-master

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Clint Strickland said:
Oh also I forgot to ask, why are you always downing Wolf, has he done anything to you????? I don't really think so, so why don't you just go bust into someone elses life. :)

Try running this "self-taught" line at some of the other martial arts boards and see how well you are treated. This is a friendly place and everyone has been trying to give good advice that's been ignored or brushed off...

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ronin Wolf-master said:
A ronin, does not have a master, it does not mean he actualy had to have one, it simply meant also, just some guy with a (one) sword on his side (instead of the traditional 2 that the samurai wore as a trade mark.)
In other words.... me.

No.

The two swords were not a trademark. They were a symbol of status and class denoting that that person was samurai. Anybody that picked up a sword was not a samurai or a ronin. It was a societal class you were born into. And yes, by definition, a ronin had to have an employer or master at some point

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks I am going to ask that this thread goes back to the original question and only that. This thread has gone all over the place and I am seeing issues that are close to becoming personal little flame wars. That being said:

Moderator Note.
Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

Sheldon Bedell-MT Moderator-

Clint Strickland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Folks I am going to ask that this thread goes back to the original question and only that. This thread has gone all over the place and I am seeing issues that are close to becoming personal little flame wars. That being said:

Moderator Note.
Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

I agree with you.

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:

Moderator Note.

Clint Strickland said:
I agree with you.
That's interesting coming from someone who makes nonmature/respectful replies like:
Clint Strickland said:
Clint Strickland said:
Lol youre acting real mature Kid.
agree with the moderator saying "discussion at a mature, respectful level."

Anyways, I agree with the moderator as well.

And once again, self taught fighting, sword or any weapons fighting never went far. At best with self taught, you've developed a peasant killing style. Peasants usually can't fight back so it's an easy win usually.

The real combative styles barehand or swords and other weapons had to be learned by a legitimate teacher before one could even stand a chance against fighting a swordsman or trained fighter.

The self taught will never be validated as real fighters, but as peasant killers at best.

Sparring with friends that aren't trained don't validate your self taught techniques as effective real fighting. What a trained swordsman can do to you is far beyond what self taught swordsman can do to you when you try to attack/defend and etc.

There's a way to swing your sword that will effectively cut down your opponent. There's a way to use your sword that will up your chances of surviving a sword fight. Those are a couple of things that the subtleties of sword fighting that mean life and death that won't be revealed through self teaching and sparring with untrained/self taught swordsman friends.

You're trying to validate that what you're doing with bokken and sword is effective fighting. You are completely wrong.
Of course with that dojo an hour away which is so difficult for you to get to, you'll never find out how many holes you have in your self taught attacks/defenses. I guess til then you'll be the number one swordsman in your mind.

Well, that's enough from me. My post is will probably be ignored by the self taught and lash back with insults if their feelings are hurt by the truth that's been posted several times by many trained fighters and swordsman (not including self taught individuals) in this thread. The self taught will rain supreme on the internet. Real life is another story. Being teenagers and living at home with your parents must be a real hard life. Wait til you move out on your own and work for a living cause then life really begins to get hard.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

There is alot of good advice in this thread. Also, some disrespectful comments, shots, and a few insults. Public warnings were issued, and some 'hints' given that were ignored. As a result, there have been some suspensions.

Please, if this thread continues, lets maintain a professional level from here on out. Like I said, lot of good advice in here, as well as in my opinion, a solid group of knowledgeable and experienced sword practitioners.

:asian:

(Meant to post this last night, so, it's not in response to Mr. Wongs post. Just want to be clear. Thank you)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions