Self Training...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Edmund BlackAdder said:
No harm. My apologies as well for being a little short in my reply.

And Shesulsa, you may. But not Mr. Ed please. ;)

But he's the Famous Mr Ed. What About Eddie? Or Eddie B?

Can I call you Eddie B?

OP
H

Hyaku

A lot of people tend to quote Miyamoto Musashi as a good example of being self taught. Fact of the matter is there was no one before him and no one follow.

Waza nowadays is based on old tried and tested techniques. If one was to make up ones own one would have to be in a life threatening situation or face serious injury. Most of the people who do sword arts nowadays would most likely wet themselves.

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

Hyaku said:
Most of the people who do sword arts nowadays would most likely wet themselves.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most of the people who do sword arts nowadays would most likely wet themselves.
Doesn't apply to just swords, but most martial arts in general. Lots of talk in the unarmed arts about "self defense" from people that have never been in life threatening situations. Then an entirely seperate group are the kids that watch too much anime and read too many manga about samurai and ninja. Saw one of those last year that ticked off the wrong person, and I thought he truly was going to wet himself! :D

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I suspect that's true of humans in general and is not strictly speaking limited to modern times. I suspect it's the reason for the age old idea of train till it's automatic so that when the **** hits the fan(or your britches as the case may be) you can allow your training to take over.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You mean I can't really wave my sword and have fireballs reign from the heavens? Darn it, there goes my whole battle plan for when I'm attacked by NeoNinjas. ;)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
You mean I can't really wave my sword and have fireballs reign from the heavens? Darn it, there goes my whole battle plan for when I'm attacked by NeoNinjas. ;)

I thought you did that in Kungate?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do, but the fireballs don't come from the Heavens......

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
Unless you've been in a fight or almost close to real fighting, you won't know how well you'll stay calm. The most skilled can get so afraid that all that skill will go out the window. People will not know how afraid or how calm they'll be when faced with a real life situation til it happens. When the times comes, you will truly know. If you can stay calm, you have a better chance of those automatic skills coming out. If you become afraid, then whether you got skills or not, the fear will overcome you and not much of a productive response comes out. Though it is natural to be afraid. You have to be pretty stupid to not have some fear of a dangerous situation. Cause afterall, it's your life. Martial Arts, sword arts is not as glamorous and exciting as it seems in movies and anime make it appear to be.

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

Well i was put into a situation where I could have been maimed or even killed. A very big and very mean and agressive bulldog charged me once, stood about 3-4 feet tall big mouth lots off teeth, charged me growled went to bite my leg, got hit in the head with a sword blade.... then on the back of the neck with a machete..... in the end i won, but i had a cheap wallhanger sword and a $6 machete so i did not kill the mut.... which it latter amost maimed my Chow Chow cause it came back in my yard and i was gone, if it had not been for my Dad my Chow, Shado, would have died.

Self trained, yes i am, scared to fight, no i'm not, looks for fights, No i dont.

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Blindside. I probably shouldn't have posted anything to lead up to more silliness. I should have kept my mouth shut.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do, but the fireballs don't come from the Heavens......
There's a little Mexican restaurant here that will do that to ya. Great spicy food and cheap beer works every time! :)

Self trained, yes i am, scared to fight, no i'm not, ...
In that case, you are either ignorant or incredibly foolish. Since tackling the dog is your idea of a fight, I will assume ignorant. You should always be afraid to fight, just as you should always be afraid when doing anything dangerous. Fear is nature's way of letting you know you can screw up. There are times when dangerous things are needed, fear or not. The measure of a man is not if he is afraid, or whether he'll fight. The measure of a man is will he do what he needs to, afraid or not.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sword Lady San....

You are talking to a wall, an immutable position where no ammount of experience or education will sway from this stance. If anything I applaud his fudoshin.

By the way....you have the coolest avatar in the world.
Regards,
Walt

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

I'm not scared to fight, there is a fear of messing up, but I dont let that get to me, or i most likely will mess up. I basicaly ignor it, so i can stay calm, and level headed.

(Yes you are talking to a wall, I will stay self trained.) :whip: :)

also.... this might sound stupid, but what is fudoshin?:confused:

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A former marine(never call them ex-marine's, they hate that) friend of mine told me once that "No apparent fear of death" is a charge that can get you thrown out of the millitary. It is not an admirable trait.

Guys and gals, our friend just needs to grow up some. We're not gonna reach him until he does. His parents will not intervene, so he is left to fumble on his own. With a little luck his fumbling won't kill or maim him or anyone else before he does grow up.

He is a brick wall by his own admission and will do whatever he likes no matter what anyone says, which of course begs the question, why is he even bothering to post here? He doesn't want advice. Trying to give advice would be silly and he is very unlikley to get any tips or have any meaningful discussions with anyone on this forum.

Can we get a moderator to please lock this thread? It has far outlived it's usefulness. Don't delete it, this thread should be kept so that we can refer others to it. Heck it should probably be made sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions