Self Training...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well good luck! I hope your financial situation changes for the better. Keep on training on your own, you sound like you want to learn, thats a good thing . Somday maybe you'll be able to join a good MA school , were you will not only learn but, you are sure to make alot of good friends.

Happy Holidays!

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
Your friends are not trained swordsman. How do you know your stuff works against trained swordsman instead of self taught swordsmen?

If you taught yourself to punch and you punch the bag and spar around with your friends with punches, how well you think you'll do if you walk into a boxing gym and try to spar with one of their seasoned boxers and you try to land your self taught punches on them without getting your butt handed to you?

That's what your self taught sword style is. Self taught punching.

Well, you can have fun with the bokken. Until you are under the supervision and teachings of a legitimate instructor, just realize that you're playing no matter how serious think you're swinging, drawing or sparring with your friends who are self taught as well.

There are subtleties that mean life and death to sword fighting that will never be revealed through self teaching.

splice42

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ronin Wolf-master said:
I'm sorry i was only really meaning to give an example of effectife self training, not saying Musashi was a hack or anything like that, i hope it did not come of as such. again sorry.
Your example was bad. Musashi did not self-train like you plan to do. From his childhood days, he was offered more training opportunities than you ever had. His father was a jitte expert. He fought and won his first duel at thirteen years old. He trained and tested his techniques in real shinken shobu.

You read books and watch videos and try to imitate them. Please don't compare what you're doing with Musashi. You have no way of ever testing your techniques in true combat. You may as well be whittling wood. We don't use swords to fight or defend ourselves anymore, we preserve what has come before. In that respect, your practice doesn't mean much to anyone except you. Sure, you can swing a sword, maybe cut up bottles and stuff, and you can convince yourself you know how to fight and defend yourself. The problem is, you won't ever be in a sword fight. Japanese Swordsmanship is not a practical skill in this world, and any value in passing the teachings and lessons of those who come before are lost when you are alone and learning from a dead format that cannot interact with you in any way.

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wolf,

You need to understand, you are very wrong here. I have known people that want to take martial arts so bad they found a way. Well, instead of, I am broke, I am broke, I am broke, why don’t you set a goal, and change that? Then you can get real training, a real teacher, a real path?

If you had a real teacher then you would understand everything everyone has said, not just typing the words “I understand”, but you would truly understand that you can not just do what you are doing.

Namaste,
Mtabone

PS- Why are you putting master in your name, it is the opposite of your current position in the ladder of the martial arts?

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

Because Wolf-master is a charecter i have made, it means i am the master of wolves, not master at MAs. ( though i do see how that can come off like that, sorry.)

Well i am broke, and to young to get a real job(14, now when i'm 16 i can get part-time) , and i could probly use the money i'm geting for christmas to go, but i got to buy some oil for my sword, and i'm only getting about $22.50, and oil will run me close to $15.00, so i wont have enough, and yes i do understand, but understanding does not mean i can change my money situation, now does it?

R.W.-M.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ronin Wolf-master said:
and oil will run me close to $15.00, so i wont have enough

If you can't afford choji oil, then simply go to Lowe's or Home Depot, and buy some Superlube "Drifilm" lubricant. It's Teflon solubilized in hexanes. Once you spray it on your sword blade, let the blade drip dry (takes less than a minute) and wipe down the blade with a clean cloth. You'll be left with a clean blade (hexanes rip many organics off your blade), and a nice, dry film of Teflon that guards against oxidation.

It's not that expensive.

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

kool, thanks, i'll check it out. :)

Ronin Wolf-master

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mtabone said:
You need to understand, you are very wrong here.

This is much too strong. I agree that training with a qualified insructor is best, but these comments are too harsh.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not if he's training with a live blade as he says he is. It's not too harsh at all. If anything it's not nearly harsh enough. These things are made to kill people. They have no safety and they cannot be unloaded. He has no supervision to speak of. His mother knows less about sword safety than he does so she doesn't count. If you hold your arm out to one side, and i hold the blade horizontal to the ground 1 foot above your arm and drop it edge down, there's a good chance that it will cause you injury sufficient to disable you in some way in that arm. Particularly if you are 14 years old and have a 14 year olds arm. We're talking a drop of 12 inches.

Put the live blade down. Leave it down. If you must play at whacky smacks stick to wood.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If the kid was playing around with a loaded Saturday Night Special in his backyard trying to teach himself how to gunfight with his friends would that be wrong? Or merely a unwise?

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Since you guys are talking about live blade training, I think that anybody that attempts it especially with a sword is making a hugh mistake. This young man shouldn't be anyware near a live blade. I think that people like to train with live blades because it's a cOOl thing to tell their friends. Ronin, don't make that mistake,anybody that tells you live blade training will help you is wrong. Be smart & be safe.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sayoc FF said:
Since you guys are talking about live blade training, I think that anybody that attempts it especially with a sword is making a hugh mistake. This young man shouldn't be anyware near a live blade.

I absolutely agree.

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

Look, I have already said that i fight with my BOKKEN!!!!!! :whip:, not with my live sword, i dont do any thing with my live blade that i have not done with my bokken succecfully thousands of times!

Again i'm not that stupid, read my post before you comment!

Oh and stop insulting me! "wacky sticks" (your going to piss me off) :flammad:

you want to be helpful, be helpful, you want to insult, dont talk to me!

R.W.-M.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Charles Mahan said:
If the kid was playing around with a loaded Saturday Night Special in his backyard trying to teach himself how to gunfight with his friends would that be wrong? Or merely a unwise?

Not trying to defend either point of view just asking some questions.

Would it be acceptable or correct to train with a live blade, by themselves if the student, any student, had an instructor?

Would be acceptable for a strudnet to practice shooting by themselves once they had basic hand gun safety and training?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note.
Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-Lisa Deneka
-MT Moderator-

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Not trying to defend either point of view just asking some questions.

Would it be acceptable or correct to train with a live blade, by themselves if the student, any student, had an instructor?

Would be acceptable for a strudnet to practice shooting by themselves once they had basic hand gun safety and training?

No I don't think a 15 year old young man should be training with a live blade unless a qualified instructor is present. The problem that I can see happening when you get a couple of people toghther (especilly if they are young or self taught) is that one day they decide to do some live blade drill training with eachother , not a good idea. Thats the reason why I try & discourage live blade training , I think that there is a time & a place for it but, when I see people talking about doing live blade training who may not be ready for it I try & discourage it. So to answer the question with regards to RONIN , No I don't think he should be doing any live blade trianing , not untill he gets more experiance or has somone present who could help him just in case . Self teaching is ok for now just be safe & use trainers. This is just my opinion , the way I train not intended to put anyones way of training down .

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

Well i to agree with that. I dont train with my live blade, i train with my bokken, my live blade is to show off and to do cutting every now and then.
The MOST "training" i do with my live blade is drawing it and sheathing it, cause i cant do that with my bokken.
what i do:

fighting: bokken

Cutting: sword

drawing: sword

trying new moves: bokken

I guess they are both used equaly, but i dont typicaly have anything to cut, infact i've only cut 2 things, and i'm getting better at drawing it. But most of the real "training" is done with my bokken, nothing dangerous is, will be done with my sword. As long as i am careful and do what i have been doing for the past year, i dont see the problem, anyone can mess up, infact i've heard of senseis killing there students, while trying to show something kool. I dont do these things, because if i mess up, someone will die. Duh.

Now i guess that not maney self trained people have such comon sence, by the sounds of it, they dont, but thats why i have said, that i am not like them, so dont treat me like them, i'm not stupid, or reckless when it comes to handeling a sword. I dont say "Hey, maybe we should have a sword fight and see who will win... oh and lets use the real ones so it loks kooler." that would be STUPID!! Now any one that says that, and does that, and is just that retarded, then yes, they get what the deserve. But i dont do stuff like that. not at all.

Ronin Wolf-master

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN
Rich Parsons said:

Depends on the student's level and how many years he has been studying under that teacher.

Yes, when they are checked out by an instructor/safety officer. But this isn't marksmanship, this is swordsmanship and it takes a lot longer to learn how to do properly.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm reading Rey Galang's new Masters of the Blade book and am surprised how many groups insist on extensive live knife training. Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions