Self Training...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

I am aware of that. But no offense, but you have never fought any one like that, that was outside of class have you? If you have not, then how do you know that what you are learning is doing you any good?Just be cause lessons and a style works for a few does not mean it will work for everyone. I have checked out all the places near me, they are to far away, and i dont have the money to pay them.And again i mean no disrespect, but dont judge how i fight, and train until you have fought me, even in a bokken fight. I respect all of you for putting in the time and money to learn these certain styles, but i dont have the money, i told you, i am always careful, i have never been cut by any of my knives or swords, unless it was on purpose. Not all self tough people are sucky at fighting with what they are using, and not all style tought people are good at what they are learning. My point is, dont judge everyone that self teaches them selves to be just a bunch of idiots that dont know what they are doing, cause i know some one that have trained in a style, and my friend that is also self taught can beat him.... badly.

thats all i'm saying. :)

R.W.-M.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They know because they study a style developed by people who did cut people. That experience is embedded in their techniques.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ronin Wolf-master said:
I am aware of that. But no offense, but you have never fought any one like that, that was outside of class have you? If you have not, then how do you know that what you are learning is doing you any good?Just be cause lessons and a style works for a few does not mean it will work for everyone. I have checked out all the places near me, they are to far away, and i dont have the money to pay them.And again i mean no disrespect, but dont judge how i fight, and train until you have fought me, even in a bokken fight. I respect all of you for putting in the time and money to learn these certain styles, but i dont have the money, i told you, i am always careful, i have never been cut by any of my knives or swords, unless it was on purpose. Not all self tough people are sucky at fighting with what they are using, and not all style tought people are good at what they are learning. My point is, dont judge everyone that self teaches them selves to be just a bunch of idiots that dont know what they are doing, cause i know some one that have trained in a style, and my friend that is also self taught can beat him.... badly.

R.W.-M.

Because when I was admiring some blades at a friends house, we picked them up and started to lightly trade strikes and defenses. He trained in fencing, while I trained in FMA. Then his Father-in-law to be said "Boys" put the swords down we do not want to have to get one of you married to my daughter today in the hosiptal. He was engaged to the Daughter :)

Shesh Boys and blades.

But the point was that both of us had basic concepts of how to move a blade and never trained with each other. We both were able to see openings and discussed this and what the expected blocks or counters would be. Thsi across styles and teachings.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ronin Wolf-master said:
Not all self tough people are sucky at fighting with what they are using, and not all style tought people are good at what they are learning. My point is, dont judge everyone that self teaches them selves to be just a bunch of idiots that dont know what they are doing, cause i know some one that have trained in a style, and my friend that is also self taught can beat him.... badly.

R.W.-M.

Clearly we cannot stop you from playing at swords, but neither will we take you seriously if you intend to continue the charade that what you are doing would serve you in a real fight. Might be it will. More likely it would get you killed. You will never know for sure. Your assertion that your stuff can be proven with bokuto is silly. Wooden swords are not real. They aren't weighted like the real thing. They aren't balaned like the real thing. They don't have the impact of the real thing, and they can leave you with a false sense of security. If your opponent cannot really cut you, then you will be reckless and foolhardy in the way you fight. Put a live blade in your hand and maybe that will win the fight for you, but against a skilled opponent it will most likely be the end of you.

If you're just out to have fun, for your own sake stick to wood. You are far less likely to cut your fingers off. Wood is cheaper and you are apparently short on funds.

BTW, lack of funds is no excuse. Get a job. One that pays well. If you aren't qualified for such a job, get some training, get a degree. If you're too young, wait and grow up. That's what the rest of us have done. We didn't take the short cut.

While it is true that you might be the one monkey to pound out a Shakespeare doesn't mean you should be willing to bet your life on it.

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
I read of an individual showing up to their first Filipino Martial Arts class limping. When asked what happened, that individual admitted that he, without a single formal lesson in Filipino Martial Arts/knife fighting from a legitimate instructor prior, was trying to learn the Filipino knife techniques from a book and resulted in him losing grip of the knife and stabbing himself in the butt cheek.

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

only idiots use live blades before they do it with a bokken (or what ever is closest to the weapon being practiced), until it is second nature, and even then you have to pay attention. :whip:

Rounin Ookami-tatsujin
(Ronin Wolf-master)

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ronin Wolf-master said:
only idiots use live blades before they do it with a bokken (or what ever is closest to the weapon being practiced), until it is second nature, and even then you have to pay attention. :whip:

Only an idiot ignores good advice when it comes from so many different people and the consequences of ignoring it are so high.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ronin Wolf-master said:
only idiots use live blades before they do it with a bokken

Please bear in mind, our concern for you is based on having seen this happen before. If you're practicing safely, good! The next question is: How can you know that what you're doing is effective?

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

I spar with my friends, thats how i know i'm getting better ( :jediduel: ) , and yes i do practice safely. everything is done with a bokken several times over before i do it with my sword. I understand your concern, but i assure you my parents would not let me do something without knowing that i will be carefull at all times, and i will be getting books from the library to also find out some of the basics in Iaijutsu. :samurai:

Rounin Ookami-tatsujin
(Ronin Wolf-master)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ronin Wolf-master said:
I spar with my friends, thats how i know i'm getting better (Ronin Wolf-master)

Do you spar with bokken? And what do you wear for protection?

Lamont

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
OK, Ronin Wolf...Since we can't convince you of the errors of your ways here are some things you can do to help you in this "self discovery."

1. Always make sure that you practice with a buddy. This is for when you get injured, you can have some one on stand by to give you a hand.

2. Keep a cell phone charged and within reach just in case and a fully stocked first aid kit on stand by.

3. Find every scrap of information online and in the library on the subject and if possible, find a person either online or by phone willing to chat with you about your progress (but don't ask us as most of us believe that face to face teaching is crucial and essential for the study that you are undertaking.)

4. Save some money and take a road trip (with parent's permission of course) and travel to a respectable training school to "test" your theories (some instructors would be happy to hlep you see the error of your ways but the majority will turn you away unless you plan on studying with them. Call ahead first).

5. Call the police and let them know your parents (as you sound like you are under 18...please excuse me if I am wrong ) have given you access to a sword without giving you over to proper instruction. In some states this can be seen as neglect and in others as a form of child abuse. In a similar instance, a friend of mine lives in a rural area where parents teach their children the finer points of riflery. Children are pretty much given free reign in this respect as their parents are accomplished hunters (who have apprenticed under the tutelege of their parents) and are standing right there with them. Children trying to "shoot like dad," without Dad, have suffered serious injuries and in some cases died in this manner because they thought they knew what they were doing.

Whether Eastern or Western, swordsmanship is just like learning the use of any weapon. Without instruction, you are learning the principles from the ground up and it could take you a life time just to ferret out the basics of what you are doing. You sound like a decent person who has been respectful to the members around here who have questioned you about your motives. Definately says something about your character. And we are not trying to be jerks about this. A lot of us thought like you did untill we saw a "qualified" person "tho us a woopin" and show us just how much we didn't know. You sound like you have a genuine interest and that is healthy. Swiping at your boys with a meter or oak shpaed like a sword is not going to teach you the finer points of what you are doing as they have no experience either.

This is all just my opinion so take it as you will...But at that age...time is better spent chasing girls than swords. Just make sure that if you can do both...do it legaly ( no chasing girls with the swords).

Good luck Wave Man Wolf...I hope you find what you are looking for.
Regards,
Walt

P.S. To Charles..."Like a gun that is always loaded and doesn't have a safety..."

Priceless!

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

I do wish to spar with some Senseis once i feel i am trainied, with the stakes that if i loose i will learn from them. Yes i am under 18, but i assure you that it is not child neglect or abuse, my mom is here all day and i am home schooled so i always have supervision. I do entend on learnig from books and maybe some vidieos if possible. And as far as the girls go.... i got a girl friend, and she does not mind my love of swords. :ultracool

i know that you all are not trying to be jerks, i understand where you all are comming from, but i dont have the funds, and i dont guess i have much patience with getting them either. lol
I have tried to go to sword schools, but it costs to much gas to go and come, and to much money a month, we just dont have it. my sword was my christmas present, well one of them, i also got a survival knife and a wallhanger sword.My bokken is the same length as my sword, and very,very close to the same weight, so its great for training with, and all i need to know is how to defend myself, wich i personaly think i am doing quite well, espesialy once i get someore christmas money, i need to get some oil for my sword blade, and i want to buy some pool noodles.(to cut and see how good my cuts are)

But i promise you all that i am supervised and that safety is my first priority, i to have seen and heard of what has happned to selftraining people, it is not pretty, and because i know that, and have seen what hapends even if you messup putting the Kat. into the saya.... well your hand wont be able to move for a while... :(
even with something as small like that can kill you, trust me, i am always careful and i take my time, and go very slowly, there is no hurry. :wink1:

thanks for the concern.

R.W.-M.

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
IMO, there is know way that you can self teach yourself & achieve a truly high level of expertise. You will improve & get better but, there is so much that you are missing & weather you realize it or not you are developing bad habbits, you need the expert eye & years & years of training & practice, especially when you are talking about edged weapons. You have to decide how seriously you want to take your training. Just my 2 cents:) .

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

I am serious, but that has nothing to do with the fact that i'm broke. If it were not for that, then yes i would probly get training but i cant. but i do try to see what i do and try other ways to see if there is a better one, yes it does take longer, i hve already said that but i evenly evaluate myself to see what it is i am doing wrong, and i try not to make bad habits, and i try to recognize when i do, i dont guess i self train like most. lol
I train myself to be just a disaplined asthough i were in a class, that way i can learn. I give it my all, or i dont give anything, wich in other words means, i try my hardest and push myself farther each time i train. But i will be getting some stuff to help me get the basics down.I guess i will pull a musashi, once i get the basics down, then do the rest myself. lol
its worth a try, and i am lways careful, alot of people are not, and they try it with the live blade, and then they get a BIG doctors bill, asuming it does not kill them, i use a proper training weapon, so that the worst iget is a bruse. Its all in using common sence, to weather or not you get hurt, whach what you are doing, start with a bokken, and consentrate, once you know you can do it, real well and fast with the bokken, then try it realy slow with the sword, and follow the same rules again, and nothing bad will happen, take your time and learn while you are practicing, thats the whole point of training , is to learn.

my dolllars worth. (cause i've said so much. lol)

Ronin Wolf-master

(Ps. sorry for my bad spelling, i'm multitasking while i'm on the computer.)

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN
Good luck and do try to keep your thumbs attached when training in iaijutsu. :)

Even if you do train yourself to some sort of competence, you won't be taken seriously by maintstream weapons based martial artists.

If you try to publicly teach it, and are paid for it, you will be exposed. It may take a while, but someone will one day, do enough digging and find you out - Someone who didn't want to hack real training and made it all up by himself.

NOT what Miyamoto Musashi did.

Anyway, again good luck.

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

I'm sorry i was only really meaning to give an example of effectife self training, not saying Musashi was a hack or anything like that, i hope it did not come of as such. again sorry.

I have no intensions of publicly teaching, never have. Its just for myself, that way i cant take soul responsability. :)

thanks for the good luck. :)

R.W.-M.

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ronin Wolf-master said:
I am serious, but that has nothing to do with the fact that i'm broke. If it were not for that, then yes i would probly get training but i cant. but i do try to see what i do and try other ways to see if there is a better one, yes it does take longer, i hve already said that but i evenly evaluate myself to see what it is i am doing wrong, and i try not to make bad habits, and i try to recognize when i do, i dont guess i self train like most. lol
I train myself to be just a disaplined asthough i were in a class, that way i can learn. I give it my all, or i dont give anything, wich in other words means, i try my hardest and push myself farther each time i train. But i will be getting some stuff to help me get the basics down.I guess i will pull a musashi, once i get the basics down, then do the rest myself. lol
its worth a try, and i am lways careful, alot of people are not, and they try it with the live blade, and then they get a BIG doctors bill, asuming it does not kill them, i use a proper training weapon, so that the worst iget is a bruse. Its all in using common sence, to weather or not you get hurt, whach what you are doing, start with a bokken, and consentrate, once you know you can do it, real well and fast with the bokken, then try it realy slow with the sword, and follow the same rules again, and nothing bad will happen, take your time and learn while you are practicing, thats the whole point of training , is to learn.

my dolllars worth. (cause i've said so much. lol)

Ronin Wolf-master

(Ps. sorry for my bad spelling, i'm multitasking while i'm on the computer.)

Just because you typed alot of words dosen't mean that you said a dollars worth:) . Somone who actually knew somthing could have typed but a few words & said much more. The value dosen't lie in the quantity, the same could be said of ones training :asian: . Usually when somone says they don't have any money for training , what they are really saying is my training isn't that important. Good luck, I admire your effort to try & learn on your own but, you really need a good instructor. You won't realize that until you have experianced this. So keep an open mind & save your dollars up for training....

OP
R

Ronin Wolf-master

No reall i have no money, my parents do, but they also have bills..... so when i say i'm broke, i mean just that, i'm broke. :lol2:

Thanks for the kind words, i know it would help alot to get "real" training, but like i said, i really cant.

thanks anyway

Ronin Wolf-master

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions