Self Defense & Martial Arts Confusions and Misconceptions

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
no out environment is what we make, it or in your case what you imagine it to be
What does this even mean. And what do you assume that I'm imagining?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
by the way. you do need to know and check for skimming devices. So here you go.

Police give tips on detecting ATM skimming devices
lol.. I look out for those things as well along with who is in the area prior to me going to the ATM machine. I also look around while I'm at the ATM. The bad thing about the ATM machines is that it forces the person to turn their back to their environment and then requires them to focus on the ATM machine. Most people focus so much on the ATM that they are clueless to what is around them. I look around to break that focus and to keep alert to anyone that may try to target me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's reasonable common sense actually and should be taken up again with the current terrorist threats. it's not paranoia. it becomes a habit in the same way you lock your doors before leaving home, don't leave your car keys in the ignition etc. A precaution nothing else.
it's not a difficult thing to do either. It's a small change in behavior compared to other things that help people stay safe.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
what if you go to a restaurant and they give you a table in the middle with no wall, the poor guy would have a serious break down,,,, OH NO there are people behind me PANIC
You still face the entrance. and not put your back to the entrance.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's kinda like protecting yourself from tigers.

You wear a mask of a persons face on the back of you head so would be attackers see you and wonder why is that guy standing with his back to the ATM :cool:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's kinda like protecting yourself from tigers.

You wear a mask of a persons face on the back of you head so would be attackers see you and wonder why is that guy standing with his back to the ATM :cool:
I think the mask on the back of the head was legit. I read a study on it somewhere, where it reduced the number of tiger attacks.
Big cats creep like criminals. If they see you watching them then they don't attack or it takes them longer to attack.

But if you can't watch your back then find someone who can. I can tell you one person that won't be robbed at the ATM

tumblr_nxeb3g9SXZ1qigfjto1_500.jpg

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You still face the entrance. and not put your back to the entrance.
what if the bad guy comes in through the kitchen, you would feel stupid then.

what if he is already in there, waiting in the toilet to attack while you have a wiz, do you get your friend to go to the john with you

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
what if he is already in there, waiting in the toilet to attack while you have a wiz, do you get your friend to go to the john with you

I stand with my back against the wall and pee across the room into the urinal....sure I get some strange looks, but nobody is sneaking up on me.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
a world where you think the only way to stay safe is to sit so you can watch the door. That's what you are imagine
Show me where I made that statement.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What does this even mean. And what do you assume that I'm imagining?

That your awarness and situational skillz are preventing you from being attacked.

Rather than you were just not being attacked anyway.

I have met a few people who have argued this. Bouncing is a big one for it. Every now and then I will get a security guard who will tell me how slik their deescalation skills are because they have never had to fight.

Of course working where they couldn't have started on if they tried had nothing to do with it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

again what the F are you talking about?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I stand with my back against the wall and pee across the room into the urinal....sure I get some strange looks, but nobody is sneaking up on me.

Use the shiny bit of the urinal as an ATM mirror. Spycraft man.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like your answer lol.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I just wait untill their back is turned.

images

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they have mirrors here, I've never noticed them. All the cash machines in Manchester have a beggar sat next to them, he watches out for you for a pound

Don't you think then it's time you got a proper job rather than just sitting around cash machines waiting for a hand out? I can't imagine having such a boring and poor paying occupation.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

You can, "What if?", anything to death, but chances are you are better off, if you are aware of the kind of freaks that are walking in the door, and not worrying about a disgruntled cook; that happens too, but just, not as often.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Greater Manchester Police...before the arena bombing and quite a while after the IRA bombing of Manchester. They call for public vigilance not panic or paranoia, vigilance, noticing what is unusual. As I said common sense. Calls for public vigilance in fight against terrorism

You can ignore all things like this because you think you are too cool for school and you're a 'hardman' but the truth is vigilance does work. You are vigilant when you drive, when you cross the road when you lock your house up, when you make sure your appliances are switched off, you buy care seat etc for your children when they travel in cars, you use seat belts etc etc why would you do all that and not be careful of your personal security when you are out and about?

Now waiting for by now customary rant about the police, mental illness and people in general. :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions