Self Defense & Martial Arts Confusions and Misconceptions

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
weight classes are a lie.
I've only trained at relatively small clubs where you train with whoever is there, but I imagine that in larger clubs people tend to partner off with people their own size/sex? Not exclusively of course but more often than not I would imagine?

Last edited:

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can walk about with out being worried about my safety and don't have to take any nonsense of idiots.​
I imagine dealing with your own idiocy is a full time job, so we can appreciate why you don't have time for the idiocy of others as well.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It has been my experience that it depends - on the instructor. In a larger school, there's an opportunity to mix people with anyone and everyone, especially those that do not match up against each other physically, emotionally, mentally, whatever. Which, to me, is what Martial Arts is all about.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed fighting isn't a psychology at all. A fight is mainly 2 idiots who argue over something stupid or 1 idiot trying to hurt someone else. Fighting isn't a science it's a game of luck its whoever lands the best punch or kick or whatever first. Skill really doesn't play much into fights. It helps but it's no deal breaker
If that were true, MMA, boxing, Judo, etc. wouldn't be predictable. Anyone could step in the ring with anyone, and anything could happen. Skill does have a huge overriding effect in a fight (not necessarily in an attack), though luck can swing that the other way in a small percentage of cases.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have agreed with you up til two weeks ago....when I was caught right in the jewels with a full power switch kick with no groin protection.....It was horrible!
It fully depends on the kick, doesn't it? I've taken shots to the groin that slowed me down, and I've taken shots that put me down. Most of us have seen footage of MMA fights where someone took a HARD kick, and about a second later they are on the ground, completely done.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
combat is about the ability to hurt people, preferably more than they hurt you. That's it, no pycobabble. If someone hits you you beat them up, if you have some phycolocal weakness' that prevents you from doing that, then you simply can't defend yourself and should really give up MA and do knitting
So, your base assertion is that one can either fight or cannot. And no amount of training can change that fact?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If your career made headlines like all the ones on this simple Google search,
Police Officers ambushed

you would exercise caution as well. There is a difference between caution and paranoia.

That said it is always a good plan to not have your back to entrances etc. Can you always do it? No but its safe practice. One of the reasons you do try to do this all the time is to build muscle and mental memory. If you go to a good place to eat but it's in a sketchy part of town, even if only every now and then, you want good habits to help protect you. It's no different than repeating the same punch or kick over and over again. If the muscle memory isn't paranoia, neither is the mental, so long as it is practiced properly, simply as a matter of habit and caution vs. "omg mass shooters are everywhere."
Agreed. This is one of the practices that becomes ingrained and protects us from the natural inclination toward Cooper's "condition white". A few easy habits like this give us better awareness, even in times when we're not really paying attention.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have developed an issue with training in general that takes my money and tells me the blatantly obvious. Yes I am looking at you colour codes.

I did a customer service course once where I was told making personal calls and ignoring customers was the wrong thing to do. I mean how did I get through life not knowing that?

How this relates is when we get commentry like doing martial arts you really should be more than some sort of kill monster. And for some reason we all need training in this. If we don't receive training in how to just be a normal person then martial arts isn't really doing its job.
Those things are taught because, somehow, some people haven't learned them. I've taught variations of Cooper's color codes, and had people ask actual questions about them - indicating they hadn't thought of awareness that way (if at all) before. I've also taught customer service, and had people ask questions about things I consider very rudimentary and common-sense.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've only trained at relatively small clubs where you train with whoever is there, but I imagine that in larger clubs people tend to partner off with people their own size/sex? Not exclusively of course but more often than not I would imagine?

Not really.

Meisha tate at 61kg rolled with my 80kg coach at the ufc.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The same tends to happen in self-defense oriented schools, too. The big folks want to practice against big folks. Everyone* prefers to learn against their own size and skill level.

*EDIT: "Pretty much everyone..."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
not my coach here but meisha just girl handling a bunch of dudes somewhere.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
The same tends to happen in self-defense oriented schools, too. The big folks want to practice against big folks. Everyone* prefers to learn against their own size and skill level.

*EDIT: "Pretty much everyone..."
Which is why I believe my instructor will purposefully mis-match people, not only by size but experience, so he will make the 6'3" level 6 practice with the 5'6" level 2. The level 2 learns obviously from the bigger more experienced person but the level 6 learns as well. Applying techniques to someone smaller can add complications and the lack of experience can result in "surprises" because they are more apt to do something unexpected and "outside" what is taught in the school.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which is why I believe my instructor will purposefully mis-match people, not only by size but experience, so he will make the 6'3" level 6 practice with the 5'6" level 2. The level 2 learns obviously from the bigger more experienced person but the level 6 learns as well. Applying techniques to someone smaller can add complications and the lack of experience can result in "surprises" because they are more apt to do something unexpected and "outside" what is taught in the school.

We rotate everyone as well.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, your base assertion is that one can either fight or cannot. And no amount of training can change that fact?
hmm, you can teach people the mechanics of fighting, you cant teach them to be a fighter, its an intrinsic personality trait, in ether combat or life generaly.

we all have a tenancy to either run fight or freeze. And if your a runner or,a freezer, then you are really stuck with that .

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hmm, you can teach people the mechanics of fighting, you cant teach them to be a fighter, its an intrinsic personality trait, in ether combat or life generaly.

we all have a tenancy to either run fight or freeze. And if your a runner or,a freezer, then you are really stuck with that .

Nope.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I purposely pair people sometimes with a size/skill match, and sometimes with a size/skill mismatch. It's important to get both. I imagine the same experiential advantages apply for MMA training, as well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absurd. I've seen people progress from being afraid to punch someone, to being sufficiently aggressive to make them a fun opponent in sparring (meaning they became unpredictable and willing to go on the attack). In short, I've seen people go from "freezer" to "fighter".