Self Defense & Martial Arts Confusions and Misconceptions

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he ever went to Ireland. His main deployment was Afghanistan but I'm guessing the scenario was similar.

It's reasonable common sense actually and should be taken up again with the current terrorist threats. it's not paranoia. it becomes a habit in the same way you lock your doors before leaving home, don't leave your car keys in the ignition etc. A precaution nothing else.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's reasonable common sense actually and should be taken up again with the current terrorist threats. it's not paranoia. it becomes a habit in the same way you lock your doors before leaving home, don't leave your car keys in the ignition etc. A precaution nothing else.
what if you go to a restaurant and they give you a table in the middle with no wall, the poor guy would have a serious break down,,,, OH NO there are people behind me PANIC

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what if you go to a restaurant and they give you a table in the middle with no wall, the poor guy would have a serious break down,,,, OH NO there are people behind me PANIC

Look if this triggers things for you I know some good help sites.

I believe sincerely that if you learnt to read posts properly it would be an immense help to understanding what people are saying then you could join in the adults conversation safe in the knowledge you were contributing something rather than having everyone think you are trolling. Learn to read - Read Easy

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's far more complicated than PTSD. If I eat in public at work while in uniform (which I rarely do), someone should be facing the entrances. Such actions need to be habit and the only way to make something a habit is to do it on a regular basis. This may apply even tonthe adventurous "foodie" who seeks out restaurant gems in bad neighborhoods. The same practice is good for general self defense simply because it acts as reinforcement for basic situational awareness.

I won't claim to know exactly what it's all about, I'm just repeating what my friend has told me when I asked him about it.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I won't claim to know exactly what it's all about, I'm just repeating what my friend has told me when I asked him about it.
Oh what your friend says is very real, I have a former coworker who came back from deployment with PTSD. All I am saying is that you can practice the same habits in a way that is psychologically healthy, it need not be symptomatic of a disorder of some sort.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh what your friend says is very real, I have a former coworker who came back from deployment with PTSD. All I am saying is that you can practice the same habits in a way that is psychologically healthy, it need not be symptomatic of a disorder of some sort.
how have you convinced yourself that your paranoid condition is healthy

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Combat is all about psychology. Hell you yourself in another thread pointed that out when you referred to some "brain washed" soldiers sill freezing under fire. That is a psychological reaction to the fight or flight reflex.

Everything in the article is also NOT blatantly obvious. How many people, that you know, actively think about the preventative measures? Do they scan a room for entrances and exits as they enter? Do everything they can to have their back to a wall when they sit down? Do they practice what is often called target hardening?

Cash in transit. They do courses.
Security Officer Training Courses, Certificate 3 in Security Operation

lonley planet travel tips.
Safety in Australia - Lonely Planet

It isn't really martial arts though. Because they don't have the grounding. What I mean is a martial arts background is not a qualification for any of that stuff. If martial arts do that stuff they need to be qualified elsewhere. If not they are just making stuff up as they go along.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cash in transit. They do courses.
Security Officer Training Courses, Certificate 3 in Security Operation

lonley planet travel tips.
Safety in Australia - Lonely Planet

It isn't really martial arts though. Because they don't have the grounding. What I mean is a martial arts background is not a qualification for any of that stuff. If martial arts do that stuff they need to be qualified elsewhere. If not they are just making stuff up as they go along.

I wouldn't argue with your point at all. I was simply trying to say that while martial arts can be very useful in self defense, the concept of "self-defense" goes well beyond a form of actual fighting/combat.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't argue with your point at all. I was simply trying to say that while martial arts can be very useful in self defense, the concept of "self-defense" goes well beyond a form of actual fighting/combat.

I have developed an issue with training in general that takes my money and tells me the blatantly obvious. Yes I am looking at you colour codes.

I did a customer service course once where I was told making personal calls and ignoring customers was the wrong thing to do. I mean how did I get through life not knowing that?

How this relates is when we get commentry like doing martial arts you really should be more than some sort of kill monster. And for some reason we all need training in this. If we don't receive training in how to just be a normal person then martial arts isn't really doing its job.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
do you have a periscopes so you can look round corners

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
do you have a periscopes so you can look round corners

you use the reflective surface of a window.

Your spy craft needs work.

It is why ATMs have little mirrors.
images

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you use the reflective surface of a window.

Your spy craft needs work.

It is why ATMs have little mirrors.
images
I don't think they have mirrors here, I've never noticed them. All the cash machines in Manchester have a beggar sat next to them, he watches out for you for a pound

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think they have mirrors here, I've never noticed them. All the cash machines in Manchester have a beggar sat next to them, he watches out for you for a pound

Glue a mirror to his head.

Latest Discussions