Self Defense & Martial Arts Confusions and Misconceptions

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Combat is all about psychology. Hell you yourself in another thread pointed that out when you referred to some "brain washed" soldiers sill freezing under fire. That is a psychological reaction to the fight or flight reflex.

Everything in the article is also NOT blatantly obvious. How many people, that you know, actively think about the preventative measures? Do they scan a room for entrances and exits as they enter? Do everything they can to have their back to a wall when they sit down? Do they practice what is often called target hardening?
jeez, you have a severe case of paranoia if you wont sit down with out your back to the wall, im suprised you make it out of your own front door.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Combat is all about psychology. Hell you yourself in another thread pointed that out when you referred to some "brain washed" soldiers sill freezing under fire. That is a psychological reaction to the fight or flight reflex.

Everything in the article is also NOT blatantly obvious. How many people, that you know, actively think about the preventative measures? Do they scan a room for entrances and exits as they enter? Do everything they can to have their back to a wall when they sit down? Do they practice what is often called target hardening?
combat is about the ability to hurt people, preferably more than they hurt you. That's it, no pycobabble. If someone hits you you beat them up, if you have some phycolocal weakness' that prevents you from doing that, then you simply can't defend yourself and should really give up MA and do knitting

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
combat is about the ability to hurt people, preferably more than they hurt you. That's it, no pycobabble. If someone hits you you beat them up, if you have some phycolocal weakness' that prevents you from doing that, then you simply can't defend yourself and should really give up MA and do knitting

Self defense adds a new wrinkle. The first goal of self-defense is to avoid the fight first and only fight when you have to. You do that via the issues I raised, and then some.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Self defense adds a new wrinkle. The first goal of self-defense is to avoid the fight first and only fight when you have to. You do that via the issues I raised, and then some.
. Have you made that rule up? It's sounds like its for woosess
the point of keeping my self fit and healthy AND doing MA, is I can walk about with out being worried about my safety and don't have to take any nonsense of idiots. Someone annoys me they get told, if they carry on, then its quote possibly a fight

I really couldn't live you your paranoid world of being scared of my own shadow and sitting with my back to the wall​

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
jeez, you have a severe case of paranoia if you wont sit down with out your back to the wall, im suprised you make it out of your own front door.

If your career made headlines like all the ones on this simple Google search,
Police Officers ambushed

you would exercise caution as well. There is a difference between caution and paranoia.

That said it is always a good plan to not have your back to entrances etc. Can you always do it? No but its safe practice. One of the reasons you do try to do this all the time is to build muscle and mental memory. If you go to a good place to eat but it's in a sketchy part of town, even if only every now and then, you want good habits to help protect you. It's no different than repeating the same punch or kick over and over again. If the muscle memory isn't paranoia, neither is the mental, so long as it is practiced properly, simply as a matter of habit and caution vs. "omg mass shooters are everywhere."

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
. Have you made that rule up? It's sounds like its for woosess
the point of keeping my self fit and healthy AND doing MA, is I can walk about with out being worried about my safety and don't have to take any nonsense of idiots. Someone annoys me they get told, if they carry on, then its quote possibly a fight

I really couldn't live you your paranoid world of being scared of my own shadow and sitting with my back to the wall​

Ahh you openly identified yourself as a troll, at last. That said, no its based on the result of almost 20 years of dealing with the victim's of crime and also having to parse who was "really" engaged in self-defense, vs a simple mutual fight where everyone gets locked up, or the person who engaged in self defense but went too far and they still ended up getting locked up.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ahh you openly identified yourself as a troll, at last. That said, no its based on the result of almost 20 years of dealing with the victim's of crime and also having to parse who was "really" engaged in self-defense, vs a simple mutual fight where everyone gets locked up, or the person who engaged in self defense but went too far and they still ended up getting locked up.
I can fight, I've never been a "victim " of violent crime. . That really the point of learning ma, isnt

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If your career made headlines like all the ones on this simple Google search,
Police Officers ambushed

you would exercise caution as well. There is a difference between caution and paranoia.

That said it is always a good plan to not have your back to entrances etc. Can you always do it? No but its safe practice. One of the reasons you do try to do this all the time is to build muscle and mental memory. If you go to a good place to eat but it's in a sketchy part of town, even if only every now and then, you want good habits to help protect you. It's no different than repeating the same punch or kick over and over again. If the muscle memory isn't paranoia, neither is the mental, so long as it is practiced properly, simply as a matter of habit and caution vs. "omg mass shooters are everywhere."
I just go where I want, when I want and sit where I want,
Asda general rule no one bothers me.

you live in a dark world, where there is danger in every eating place, and you have to check exits and walls. Ooo made me shiver

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I actually don't sit with my back to the door unless I know that the person across from me keeps an eye out for the environment behind me. For me it's not paranoia, it's just that I can't be aware of my environment if my back is turned to it and I'm starring at a wall. #1 Rule of self defense. Be aware of your environment so turning my back to the door only makes me aware of the wall.

you live in a dark world, where there is danger in every eating place, and you have to check exits and walls. Ooo made me shiver
We all live in a dark world, we just aren't all affected by the "darkness" the same way. Some of the people who were directly affected by the "darkness" say the same thing that you say, that people in general don't bother them. Yet that is not a state of being that will always hold true without preventive measures. Even then there is no guarantee that it will hold true even with preventive measures.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I actually don't sit with my back to the door unless I know that the person across from me keeps an eye out for the environment behind me. For me it's not paranoia, it's just that I can't be aware of my environment if my back is turned to it and I'm starring at a wall. #1 Rule of self defense. Be aware of your environment so turning my back to the door only makes me aware of the wall.

We all live in a dark world, we just aren't all affected by the "darkness" the same way. Some of the people who were directly affected by the "darkness" say the same thing that you say, that people in general don't bother them. Yet that is not a state of being that will always hold true without preventive measures. Even then there is no guarantee that it will hold true even with preventive measures.
the other guy said that the first rule of self defence was don't fight unless you have to

how many first rules are there?
mine is goad them into taking the first punch so you can claim they started it

really though your taking it far im sat in a pub garden on a warm summer evening, just chilling and sipping a coke.
I've got my back to a load of people and my little dog is chilling out as well. You must have no quality of life to be constantly on your guard

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to sit where I can see the entrance and the whole room so I can see any hot chicks that come in...;)

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
the other guy said that the first rule of self defence was don't fight unless you have to

how many first rules are there?
mine is goad them into taking the first punch so you can claim they started it

really though your taking it far im sat in a pub garden on a warm summer evening, just chilling and sipping a coke.
I've got my back to a load of people and my little dog is chilling out as well. You must have no quality of life to be constantly on your guard

I've got an ex military friend who always has to sit with his back against a wall where he can see everyone within 10m. He says it's part of his ptsd *shrugs*

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Asda general rule no one bothers me.

Ah that explains it, you only go to ASDA.

ASDA is a British supermarket chain (cheap) that went into bankruptcy and was bought by Walmart, explains all don't you think.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We are what our environments make us

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got an ex military friend who always has to sit with his back against a wall where he can see everyone within 10m. He says it's part of his ptsd *shrugs*

Most military will do this especially the older ones, it's a hangover from the Northern Ireland conflict where you had to watch out for the Provos chucking bombs and shooting people.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Most military will do this especially the older ones, it's a hangover from the Northern Ireland conflict where you had to watch out for the Provos chucking bombs and shooting people.

I don't think he ever went to Ireland. His main deployment was Afghanistan but I'm guessing the scenario was similar.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think he ever went to Ireland. His main deployment was Afghanistan but I'm guessing the scenario was similar.
It's far more complicated than PTSD. If I eat in public at work while in uniform (which I rarely do), someone should be facing the entrances. Such actions need to be habit and the only way to make something a habit is to do it on a regular basis. This may apply even tonthe adventurous "foodie" who seeks out restaurant gems in bad neighborhoods. The same practice is good for general self defense simply because it acts as reinforcement for basic situational awareness.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's far more complicated than PTSD. If I eat in public at work while in uniform (which I rarely do), someone should be facing the entrances. Such actions need to be habit and the only way to make something a habit is to do it on a regular basis. This may apply even tonthe adventurous "foodie". The same practice is good for general self defense simply because it acts as reinforcement for basic situational awareness.
so you only do it in your own time as practise for work, that's not what you we're saying earlier when you thought every one should do it

Latest Discussions