Self Defense & Martial Arts Confusions and Misconceptions

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, welcome along. And do not let all this lawn mower talk scare you away! oh, wait.. you have gone already.. oh well, our work at LawnMowerTalk is done here.. least for today
he went after the first 5 posts were people,disagreed with his vision that any ma other than the one he did was useless

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes and people who are completely self absorbed with their ma training are making claims to its benefits, that are more or less the same benefits you can get from a hoist of other things. That gives a very biased and polarised view that makes ma,seem more beneficial that it actually is
And what supports your assertion that they are "completely self absorbed with their ma training"? Again you are ascribing attributes not in evidence.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
he went after the first 5 posts were people,disagreed with his vision that any ma other than the one he did was useless
Pity though.. some time I think people can be singlemindedly set upon winning arguments as opposed to fostering discussion dont you think

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yes and people who are completely self absorbed with their ma training are making claims to its benefits, that are more or less the same benefits you can get from a hoist of other things. That gives a very biased and polarised view that makes ma,seem more beneficial that it actually is
Actually studies show that people get different benefits from training martial arts that aren't found in other sports and activities. It's one of the reasons Tai chi is prescribed by doctors to senior citizens to improve mobility, joint health, and to increase bone intensity. Improvements in joint strength, flexibility, muscle, and over all mobility. Most sports perform in a specific area which is why many athletes tend to have bodies that reflect the type of activity that they do.

If a person is training martial arts from a self-defense purpose then that person will get self-defense training which isn't available in other physical activities. With that said, if a person takes a half-way approach to martial arts then you will be 100% correct. They would get the same benefits as they would if they were doing something else. If a person goes into martial arts training with honest effort then Martial Arts training will give them different benefits that they can't get from sports.

I'm not saying that Martial Arts is the best option. I'm just pointing out that the benefits are different than what we find in other sports.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nor sheep dropping and don't generaly escape on their own, I suppose the relevant benefits are dependent on if you own a loom or not
Agreed. My point was that it depends what you're looking for. Some folks (like me) will want the lawnmower. I don't have a use for the wool, don't want the clippings, and am pretty sure the sheep would annoy my neighbor's goat.

Some folks in my area have a different set of needs - they have a use for the wool and the droppings, so the sheep make more sense than a lawnmower.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually studies show that people get different benefits from training martial arts that aren't found in other sports and activities. It's one of the reasons Tai chi is prescribed by doctors to senior citizens to improve mobility, joint health, and to increase bone intensity. Improvements in joint strength, flexibility, muscle, and over all mobility. Most sports perform in a specific area which is why many athletes tend to have bodies that reflect the type of activity that they do.

If a person is training martial arts from a self-defense purpose then that person will get self-defense training which isn't available in other physical activities. With that said, if a person takes a half-way approach to martial arts then you will be 100% correct. They would get the same benefits as they would if they were doing something else. If a person goes into martial arts training with honest effort then Martial Arts training will give them different benefits that they can't get from sports.

I'm not saying that Martial Arts is the best option. I'm just pointing out that the benefits are different than what we find in other sports.
the discussion was about life,skills rather than fitness.
but id be interested to see any stories that say there are fitness benefits that can ONLY be achieved through ma. Can you post a link?
lots of sports can increase yourself defence abilities, weight training and rugby are the most obvious, but soccer can make you very difficult to kick and running very difficult to catch

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nor sheep dropping and don't generaly escape on their own, I suppose the relevant benefits are dependent on if you own a loom or not

I spin wool which I then knit with, you keep being slightly off with your facts. You need to card, wash, dye if you want to, then spin the wool. You can actually do this with many types of wool and hair, doesn't have to be sheep.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I spin wool which I then knit with, you keep being slightly off with your facts. You need to card, wash, dye if you want to, then spin the wool. You can actually do this with many types of wool and hair, doesn't have to be sheep.
Il give you a shout if I'm ever so bored that knitting dog hair sounds fun

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the discussion was about life,skills rather than fitness.
but id be interested to see any stories that say there are fitness benefits that can ONLY be achieved through ma. Can you post a link?
lots of sports can increase yourself defence abilities, weight training and rugby are the most obvious, but soccer can make you very difficult to kick and running very difficult to catch
Oh well in terms of life skills then you would be correct about there not being much variation. The only difference would be cultural in terms of traditional martial arts. I like traditional martial arts but much of life skill aspect of discipline, honesty, respect, and the sort are things that I've learned through other things in life. By nature I'm not a rigid person so a martial art with too much formality would be more than I would ever seek outside of a role of duty or career related. Much of those things I learned from home. Each person will be different of course. But back to your point. If I wanted to learn respect and good human qualities then I wouldn't choose martial arts. There are things more entertaining and nourishing that I can do other than Martial Arts.

You won't find an article that says "ONLY." You will however find articles that recommend a Martial Arts for multiple benefits and not just one. For example, if you are looking to get rid of stress then Tai Chi is not the ONLY thing that gets rid of stress. If you are looking to exercise and build balance then Tai Chi is not the ONLY thing that does that. But if you are looking for one activity that has both then Tai Chi has both benefits. Below are quotes from the same source below where you can read about more things.

From a personal experience, Tai Chi solved my neck issues where nothing else worked. I used to have severe neck pain when I lean my head to one side. It used to feel as if the bone in my neck was grinding against each other. I had the pain for more than 15 years. Doctors thought the solution was surgery, Massage Therapist thought the solution was me getting a massage. I did Tai Chi and the 8 pieces of brocade specifically the one at 5:13 I did a lot. It fixed my neck issues. The only other thing that I could think of that might have fixed my neck would be Yoga. In fairness, it's not a blanket "Go take Tai Chi and get healthier" If the teacher is a bad teacher then Tai Chi will actually do more harm than good. I guess it's like a blade, in the hand of a surgeon the blade is health. In the hand of someone who doesn't know what they are doing, then the blade is going to do more harm than good. Out of all the Martial Arts systems out there. Tai Chi is something that needs quality supervision at the beginning.

"
What the Science Says About the Effectiveness of Tai Chi and Qi Gong
Research findings suggest that practicing tai chi may improve balance and stability in older people and those with Parkinson’s, reduce pain from knee osteoarthritis, help people cope with fibromyalgia and back pain, and promote quality of life and mood in people with heart failure and cancer. There’s been less research on the effects of qi gong, but some studies suggest it may reduce chronic neck pain (although results are mixed) and pain from fibromyalgia. Qi gong also may help to improve general quality of life.

Both also may offer psychological benefits, such as reducing anxiety. However, differences in how the research on anxiety was conducted make it difficult to draw firm conclusions about this." source:Tai Chi and Qi Gong: In Depth

"There’s some evidence that practicing tai chi may help people manage pain associated with knee osteoarthritis (a breakdown of cartilage in the knee that allows leg bones to rub together), fibromyalgia (a disorder that causes muscle pain and fatigue), and back pain. Qi gong may offer some benefit for chronic neck pain, but results are mixed."

"
Knee Osteoarthritis
  • Results of a small NCCIH-funded clinical trial involving 40 participants with knee osteoarthritis suggested that practicing tai chi reduced pain and improved function better than an education and stretching program.
  • An analysis of seven small and moderately-sized clinical studies concluded that a 12-week course of tai chi reduced pain and improved function in people with this condition."
Those things may increase strength and speed, but they do not train how to defend against a punch, a kick, or how to read the intent that is common in the street. In sports the athletes just go for what they know. The sport itself does not train elements of self-defense.

In some cases you'll see professional football players taking a martial art to help them be a better football player. I think you'll like this one article because it shows how it's trained. source: How Martial Arts Training is Making Elite NFL Pass Rushers Unstoppable
http://www.stack.com/a/how-martial-arts-training-is-making-elite-nfl-pass-rushers-unstoppable
Clevland Browns Hire Martial Arts Expert source: The Cleveland Browns Have Hired a Martial Arts Expert as a Strength and Conditioning Coach
I would love to have a job like this.

Latest Discussions