Self Defense (Concepts v Reality)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
They will help you a great deal of you grab them by the throat and smash them it a wall, , there are good fighters all over the world that have never been anywhere near a ring an octagon or a dojo, any sports that gives you movement, reactions and co Ordination will help with fighting

Sure there are.People learn to fight by...fighting. No martial training required.

Learning how to shoot 3 from the outside won't help you throw a solid punch though. Just being in shape, although helpful, wont make your awkward strikes less awkward, nor will being able to do a lay up help your ability to wrestle. Ive yet to see the untrained fighter that can step into a ring and just get by on athleticism with someone that does have actual skills, any more than I could go play ncaa ball with my boxing skills.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure there are.People learn to fight by...fighting. No martial training required.

Learning how to shoot 3 from the outside won't help you throw a solid punch though. Just being in shape, although helpful, wont make your awkward strikes less awkward, nor will being able to do a lay up help your ability to wrestle. Ive yet to see the untrained fighter that can step into a ring and just get by on athleticism with someone that does have actual skills, any more than I could go play ncaa ball with my boxing skills.

But they have no intention of stepping in a ring,so that's not really an argument against, are you really saying those 7ft Tall basket ball players couldNt handle an average bar fight ?

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
But they have no intention of stepping in a ring,so that's not really an argument against, are you really saying those 7ft Tall basket ball players could handle an average bar fight ?
All 'a ring' represents is doing it at a higher level. Whether that comes from actual training or scrapping a lot doesn't matter too much, but those with a fighting skillset will generally outclass people without one

I guess I've seen the physically disadvantaged old guy easilly handle the chiselled muscle bound young upstart one too many times.

And I've been both of those guys.

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I guess I've seen the physically disadvantaged old guy easilly handle the chiselled muscle bound young upstart one too many times.

"Old age and cunning will always beat youth and inexperience"...or something like that, lol.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well yes and no, if you want to build muscle to impress girls and play rugby, basket bascreenplay on a,soccer team with your mates, then giving that up to train ma is not an efficient use of time. No, if all your expecting to deal with is an occasional bar fight or a kick off in the taxi queue, just being in fairly good shape will take care of that.

If you live in a world of gangsta drug deals, then it may be a good idea, though dojo are not generally full of gangsta drug dealers, so even they don't seem to brother, just lift more weights

And the other thought I had. Ok there may not be a heap of unstable martial artists out there. (I do know a few by the way) But there are a heap of unstable roided up neck tattoos wandering around.

And so I would want muscle plus something to deal with that.

I mean this is the sort of physique our local football team has.
images

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah but old age and inexperience gets its *** kicked by youth and skill . or so I've heard .

You may have a point there.
Or maybe, old age can think around your skill, come up with something completely out of the box that you didn't expect..."where'd he go?!" lol

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And the other thought I had. Ok there may not be a heap of unstable martial artists out there. (I do know a few by the way) But there are a heap of unstable roided up neck tattoos wandering around.

And so I would want muscle plus something to deal with that.

I mean this is the sort of physique our local football team has.
images
Have you ever seen Top Gun?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fortunately, I can see beyond just the fighting side, to things MA can teach that are not taught in a way I like elsewhere.

"Beyond just the fighting side" = inferior training.

It's not bad, just a lower form of training compared to training as a fighter = highest form of training.....when it's time to prove it vs. an attacker/opponent.

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok you handicapped kid scenario you used Bjj skills to deal with that then ?

Handicapped kids are usually screwed. Ever try training retarded kids or those with physical disabilities and/or both? It's hard as ****. It's interesting for a few weeks and you feel good about helping them, but then it turns into babysitting them while neglecting all the other, membership paying kids. And they still can't do techniques right.....imagine trying to teach them a bunch of complicated, flowery kata when they can't even throw a step jab well.

There's a reason why criminals target old ladies, then old men, then women and the handicapped first.

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"Beyond just the fighting side" = inferior training.

It's not bad, just a lower form of training compared to training as a fighter = highest form of training.....when it's time to prove it vs. an attacker/opponent.

Well, I'm curious to see what I could do. If nothing else, it makes fitness training more interesting. I'm never likely to need MA for self defence, that wouldn't be a good enough reason for me to dedicate a lot of time to it. I don't live in fear, life's too short. Much more likely to get killed taking a corner wrong on my bike!

Reactions: pdg

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm curious to see what I could do. If nothing else, it makes fitness training more interesting. I'm never likely to need MA for self defence, that wouldn't be a good enough reason for me to dedicate a lot of time to it. I don't live in fear, life's too short. Much more likely to get killed taking a corner wrong on my bike!

Out of curiosity, what bike do you have?

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer - modified :) (FZ1 to you guys in the US). My 5th one of these (I stuffed the last one in a hedge, hence the back injury, lol), this the only one I got exactly how I want it.

Had a Triumph Street Triple for a year as well up till recently, but my license was at risk riding that hooligan, lol.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first mistake is believing that skills that work in the ring, mat, or ring won't apply in a self defense situation. People actively avoid fighting arts because they delude themselves into thinking that learning how to actually fight isn't a useful skill, or that they're somehow more evolved than a cage fighter or a boxer.
Agreed. That's not the only reason people don't compete, but it's definitely one I've seen evidence of.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so that rules out your mma, and boxing sugestion,

Or Peter who 25 and hitss the weights, and plays basket ball, he strong and fast, he can robustly defend himself against most people, why does he need to do boxing, when he could use the same time to get even stronger and faster with his existing sports,
he doesn't unless he wants to be better.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last I checked, Yoga isn't a martial art.

Again, if you're a muscular athletic male, probably not. If you're a scrawny little guy, or a female, I would highly recommend it.
Or unathletic, regardless of size. Or entirely inexperienced at fighting, again, regardless of size .

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some ??? very nearly All scrawny males can put on muscle and increase strengh, they may not reach the level of competition body builder, but that's not to say they cant be a lot bigger/ stronger than they are and quite possibly bigger and stronger than any attacker.

If they have some rare genetic condition that prevents muscle development Mma not going to help them much anyway
You never saw me in my teens and 20's . It would have taken a Herculean effort to get to anything resembling big . And I was athletic and active.