Self Defense (Concepts v Reality)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well it's not at all dissimilar to a number of ma, but anyway a fairly advanced level of yoga, gives you Extreme strengh, so it will with our doubt help at self defence.

So big guys don't need ma, but scrawny guys do, wouldnt that suggest that scrawny guys may just as well spend their time becoming big guys

Some scrawny guys can't become big guys due to genetics. There's nothing wrong with weight and endurance training though, even if you don't gain significant size.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't expect you to add anything that would not include so form of having ago at the TMA (again your definition of said)

Oh and what arts do wear full kimono to train?

And buying pepper spray or a taser, jobo can't nor can sandra if she in the UK as she would be arrested , just for your information

I was kinda hoping that this would not got to the stage of you banging on purely about what is wrong with every art you don't approve of and why and saying basically it BJJ or forget it ,

My apologies, I'm an American so I tend to see things from an American perspective. The lack of being able to carry pepper sprays or tasers would make the practice of Bjj and a general SD course for Sandra even more necessary IMO.

Anyways, my earlier point stands; Ancient Eastern concepts don't mean spit if someone is trying to take your head off.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some scrawny guys can't become big guys due to genetics. There's nothing wrong with weight and endurance training though, even if you don't gain significant size.
Some ??? very nearly All scrawny males can put on muscle and increase strengh, they may not reach the level of competition body builder, but that's not to say they cant be a lot bigger/ stronger than they are and quite possibly bigger and stronger than any attacker.

If they have some rare genetic condition that prevents muscle development Mma not going to help them much anyway

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some ??? All scrawny males can put on muscle and increase strengh, they may not reach the level of competition body builder, but that's not to say they cant be a lot bigger/ stronger than they are and quite possibly bigger and stronger than any attacker.

You originally said "scrawny guys becoming big guys".

In any case, yes I agree with you that they can definitely become stronger through exercise and weight training. However, there are still some small guys out there who could become targets just because of their smaller stature.

My uncle for example is 5'5, and while he lifted weights and played sports, he still looked short and skinny while wearing clothes. One night while walking home, he got jumped by some guys who beat him up and took his belongings. If he was 6'3, and built like a tank that probably wouldn't have happened.

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Budo teachings and prancing around in kimonos won't do much good when someone is on top of you trying to choke you to death.

Hey, don't knock kimonos. Stevie Ray Vaughan wore them, and look what it did for his guitar playing, lol

Actually Hanzou, I sympathise with you. You clearly live in an area where violence is rife. You are quite right to get your daughter learning effective self defence.

(Sorry, I added that last comment while you were giving me a rating).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You originally said "scrawny guys becoming big guys".

In any case, yes I agree with you that they can definitely become stronger through exercise and weight training. However, there are still some small guys out there who could become targets just because of their smaller stature.

My uncle for example is 5'5, and while he lifted weights and played sports, he still looked short and skinny while wearing clothes. One night while walking home, he got jumped by some guys who beat him up and took his belongings. If he was 6'3, and built like a tank that probably wouldn't have happened.
Big is a relative term, being short in height is a red hearing you've introduced, there's no ma on earth they will correct that, if attacking you coz your short,And skinny, then they will still attack you if you do mma, it's a totally redundant point

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Big is a relative term, being short in height is a red hearing you've introduced, there's no ma on earth they will correct that, if attacking you coz your short, then they will still attack you if you do mma, it's a totally redundant point

That's right, and practicing a real martial art can get your short behind out of a bad situation.

The same thing applies to females.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's right, and practicing a real martial art can get your short behind out of a bad situation.

Can, yes it can, will it work when there's a group intent on robbing you, most probably not, will be athletic get you out of a bad situation ? Yes it may, if your more athletic than the guy attacking you and there's not a big group of them

Are you now only recommending mma, for short skinny people

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can, yes it can, will it work when there's a group intent on robbing you, most probably not, will be athletic get you out of a bad situation ? Yes it may, if your more athletic than the guy attacking you and there's not a big group of them

Are you now only recommending mma, for short skinny people

Knowing MA will probably get you out of that situation better than not knowing MA. Additionally, learning a real MA will help you gain athleticism anyway, so your point here is rather redundant.

I recommend any skinny or otherwise weaker person to study MMA or a similar martial art.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My apologies, I'm an American so I tend to see things from an American perspective. The lack of being able to carry pepper sprays or tasers would make the practice of Bjj and a general SD course for Sandra even more necessary IMO.

Anyways, my earlier point stands; Ancient Eastern concepts don't mean spit if someone is trying to take your head off.

Again making statements without research , but hey that seems to be your way and is there actually anything you can say without BJJ getting popped in ?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, don't knock kimonos. Stevie Ray Vaughan wore them, and look what it did for his guitar playing, lol

Actually Hanzou, I sympathise with you. You clearly live in an area where violence is rife. You are quite right to get your daughter learning effective self defence.

Yes, America is a rather violent place. I regret raising children in this country.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Knowing MA will probably get you out of that situation better than not knowing MA. Additionally, learning a real MA will help you gain athleticism anyway, so your point here is rather redundant.

I recommend any skinny or otherwise weaker person to study MMA or a similar martial art.
Ok you need to justify BETTER, Peter is attacked in a bar, by an over weight beer swilling monster, be used his superior athleticism to grab his attackers head and smash it repeated in to the bar, what would mma training have added to that situation ?

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

So first what is a real Martial Art ?

Second you are aware that studying any art takes time?

Third is BJJ and MMA your stock answer to everything ?

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Don't place to much on Hanzou rating lol

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok you need to justify BETTER, Peter is attacked in a bar, by an over weight beer swilling monster, be used his superior athleticism to grab his attackers head and smash it repeated in to the bar, what would mma training have added to that situation ?

You do know that there's guys who are very muscular and athletic who can't fight for spit right? Teach a big guy MMA or wrestling, and he becomes a very dangerous person. Far more dangerous than he was before he learned MMA.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So first what is a real Martial Art ?

Second you are aware that studying any art takes time?

You can become decent in Bjj in under a year of intensive practice. It'll take you years to become proficient in many of the TMAs out there. As a father, I'd rather put my kids in a MA where they can get verfiable results a lot faster. If my daughter is 17, I don't want to wait until she is close to 30 to be able to use some ancient Asian system if someone is attacking her.

Third is BJJ and MMA your stock answer to everything ?

If you actually read the discussion, you would know that it isn't a "stock answer".

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You do know that there's guys who are very muscular and athletic who can't fight for spit right? Teach a big guy MMA or wrestling, and he becomes a very dangerous person. Far more dangerous than he was before he learned MMA.

Teach anyone a MA and they become more dangerous ........not just MMA or wrestling

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are there, where are these people ? They don't live round here, fighting is an athletic pursuit, being athletic is the first requirment,
You don't need to be dangerous, you just need to be more dangerous than your attacker
If your going to throw up one of the many little small guy, used bjj, against weight lifter, vids,that would only be relivent to self defence if there was a sudden out break of bjj muggrs combing the street looking for victims

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can become decent in Bjj in under a year of intensive practice. It'll take you years to become proficient in many of the TMAs out there. As a father, I'd rather put my kids in a MA where they can get verfiable results a lot faster. If my daughter is 17, I don't want to wait until she is close to 30 to be able to use some ancient Asian system if someone is attacking her.

If you actually read the discussion, you would know that it isn't a "stock answer".

So you are saying basically the only art that should be considered for self defense in BJJ ?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are there, where are these people ? They don't live round here, fighting is an athletic pursuit, being athletic is the first requirment,

If your going to throw up one of the many little small guy, used bjj, against weight lifter, that would only be reticent to self defence if there was a sudden out break of bjj muggrs combing the street looking for victims

So let me make sure I understand your argument here:

Are you saying that an (untrained) big muscular guy would gain no additional fighting ability from studying MMA, Bjj, boxing, wrestling, etc?

Latest Discussions