Self Defense (Concepts v Reality)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok you need to justify BETTER, Peter is attacked in a bar, by an over weight beer swilling monster, be used his superior athleticism to grab his attackers head and smash it repeated in to the bar, what would mma training have added to that situation ?
you are setting up a situation Peter can handle .What if he runs into one he can't? Fighting skill will help .Period.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that's the big lie, of self defence courses, there's are not simple techniques you can learn quickly that will neutralise a vastly physically superior opponents, first you need to close the gap physicaly, then you need to invest a fair amount of time, in learning and repeating your skills till they become ingrained,
Most I've seen don't make that claim. Many I see online do. I don't think it is. A fair generalization.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again I know of no High schools here that teach wrestling

And your saying if you do or have done wrestling then you will understand or get the concepts of the grappling arts?

Ok you handicapped kid scenario you used Bjj skills to deal with that then ?
I don't know if it has changed, but every HS in my area had a wrestling team when I was growing up .

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if it has changed, but every HS in my area had a wrestling team when I was growing up .

It's never really been a thing here, most have a football team, sometimes rugby or hockey - but anything else is few and far between.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The thought I have been having. Which I think flips people out the most is "How is your system performance based?"

Because self defence quite simply tend not to be.

And so the priorities change for focusing on performance to trying to focus on pretty much everything else.

Which then seem to just become marketing strategies.

And I think that is an actual mindset change. Which is weird.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm curious to see what I could do. If nothing else, it makes fitness training more interesting. I'm never likely to need MA for self defence, that wouldn't be a good enough reason for me to dedicate a lot of time to it. I don't live in fear, life's too short. Much more likely to get killed taking a corner wrong on my bike!

Well you seem to fear getting punched in the face hard as apart of training. This thread is about self defense and what really works. This discussion is about what works better or the best for real life attacks and not about "I need help losing 30 lbs off my giant butt". :D

If you just want to go the inferior rout to help you lose your chub, then that's fine; which is why I did state that it wasn't bad. Training hard and serious is usually only for tougher and non-lazy people though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The thought I have been having. Which I think flips people out the most is "How is your system performance based?"

Because self defence quite simply tend not to be.

And so the priorities change for focusing on performance to trying to focus on pretty much everything else.

Which then seem to just become marketing strategies.

And I think that is an actual mindset change. Which is weird.

Next thought does performance based change the thought process.

So I train with a guy who is athletic and loves leg locks. I am grindy and don't really bother.

Each of us have results with our methods but none really dominate. So we can have the argument without it being a linage war. But also can reality check each other.

Our system advances through the discoveries of the practitioners. Which means we can't rely or subscribe to dogma.

It is the difference from say being told about Muslims and actually getting to know one.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well you seem to fear getting punched in the face hard as apart of training. This thread is about self defense and what really works. This discussion is about what works better or the best for real life attacks and not about "I need help losing 30 lbs off my giant butt". :D

If you just want to go the inferior rout to help you lose your chub, then that's fine; which is why I did state that it wasn't bad. Training hard and serious is usually only for tougher and non-lazy people though.

Let's nice this thought up a bit because it is a good point.

There are going to be consistent methods that improve ability. That are unrelated to the individual.

Not wanting to use those methods does not change that they work consistently.

This is any activity.

richardhenry000

White Belt
Reaction score
Probably because you're not a petite young female. Consider yourself fortunate. I have a daughter who is a petite young female in her late teens, and the stories she tells me about how men catcall her, follow her, and verbally abuse her on the street is quite frightening.

It's quite easy to see how things can escalate beyond simple verbal taunting and awkward stalking.
Look I'm 49 I lived in the inner city not in a good neighborhood because I didn't have enough money to move anywhere else anyway I was attacked 3 times getting off the light rail an lived through a home invasion with a broken arm an rib anyway my point is things happen when you don't expect I was a army vet took hapkido kav maga now kali I live in a great place now maybe I'll never need to fight again but I'm in shape an get people I dont get beat up every class maybe sweat but everyone needs that look at the health side as saving as many as the fighting an if you need it you have it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's nice this thought up a bit because it is a good point.

There are going to be consistent methods that improve ability. That are unrelated to the individual.

Not wanting to use those methods does not change that they work consistently.

This is any activity.

Yes, just about anything related to combat, trained consistently will bring about an improvement that should help. But him being scared of actual fighting, to never train to fight, will result in him never achieving this highest level of being a fighter.

Or we can look at it another way....can a low level, local Pro MMA fighter who has 0 chances of ever fighting in Bellator (let alone the UFC), train kata and earn all the colored belts (w/o never having trained TMA? Is it going to be easier or harder than what's he's trained so far in MMA?

There's a big reason why you mostly see women, old men and hot chicks in SD classes & TMA and rarely any of such in full MMA fighter's class.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Look I'm 49 I lived in the inner city not in a good neighborhood because I didn't have enough money to move anywhere else anyway I was attacked 3 times getting off the light rail an lived through a home invasion with a broken arm an rib anyway my point is things happen when you don't expect I was a army vet took hapkido kav maga now kali I live in a great place now maybe I'll never need to fight again but I'm in shape an get people I dont get beat up every class maybe sweat but everyone needs that look at the health side as saving as many as the fighting an if you need it you have it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You're pretty old to be typing w/o punctuation marks, like today's 12 year olds though.

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score

You have misinterpreted me because you don't understand the situation I am in. I don't fear being punched hard in the face. In the past, I have done sparring, and sparred with people who were considerably more advanced than me. I have been in street fights in the past. In both, I have taken hard knocks - I did not back down.

Well, I'm older now, and don't get into street fights anymore.
There is some fear, you are right with that much. But it has to do with my injured shoulder, which has not been tested within a fighting situation since it happened to me. But i am willing to put it to the test*.

I have taken harder knocks than the vast majority of martial artists have in a fight, and got back on my feet - and that getting back on my feet was a much longer, harder process than getting up after what most people experience even after a fight in which they take a severe beating. So I probably know much more about courage, and controlling fear, and certainly pain, than you do.

There are 'martial artists' here who seem to think that the only people with courage are martial artists, and the only way to conquer fear and pain is by fighting other people, whether it be in the street or in the ring. They are wrong. If you wish to live your life with such a narrow vision, that's fine by me. But it's a sad way to be.

*Part of the reason I am willing to put it to the test is that I have taken two heavy falls on it since, and whilst both times I cracked ribs, the shoulder survived without injury, so some of the fear regarding that has been mitigated.

PS: if you think you take hard knocks in MMA, try crashing a motorcycle into an oncoming car at a closing speed in excess of 120mph ;) And yes, I still ride, and ride fast.

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I'm on a kindle as well,
Ahhhhhh, that explains it!!! To be honest I love the way everyone writes, everyone's got their own distinct style hehe. And approaches too!

@Kung Fu Wang and his lovely sequential lists, dot points, and cool strange training method videos.

@jobo with his stylised, uniquely spelled words, and commas where you wouldn't expect!

@Headhunter and his straight-talkin' ways with sometimes no need for full stops, nothing wrong with that!

@gpseymour with his rational discussion and great sense of humour.

@JR 137 with his honesty and cool stories.

@drop bear and his short, to the point answers (and cheekiness).

@Tez3 and her British humour.

@Buka with his warm kindheartedness, and always willing to welcome new people to the forum.

@Xue Sheng and his hilarious almost talking to himself dialogue (love it).

Me with my constantly starting a post with 'Ah..'.

There are so many more, but just something I admire about everyone XD

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh, that explains it!!! To be honest I love the way everyone writes, everyone's got their own distinct style hehe. And approaches too!

@Kung Fu Wang and his lovely sequential lists, dot points, and cool strange training method videos.

@jobo with his stylised, uniquely spelled words, and commas where you wouldn't expect!

@Headhunter and his straight-talkin' ways with sometimes no need for full stops, nothing wrong with that!

@gpseymour with his rational discussion and great sense of humour.

@JR 137 with his honesty and cool stories.

@drop bear and his short, to the point answers (and cheekiness).

@Tez3 and her British humour.

@Buka with his warm kindheartedness, and always willing to welcome new people to the forum.

@Xue Sheng and his hilarious almost talking to himself dialogue (love it).

Me with my constantly starting a post with 'Ah..'.

There are so many more, but just something I admire about everyone XD
I was blaming the browser, but having just occured to me its the actual kindle, ive turned off auto predict and auto punctuation, not sure it will improve my spelling any, but random words and bizare use of commas may improve

Latest Discussions