self defense against a dog

Discussion in 'General Self Defense' started by PeaceWarrior, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Joab

Joab 2nd Black Belt

Opening an umbrella usually scares them. Pepper spray, gunshots and the like. Throw some food one way and run the other way. I read in an article once the kicking and breaking of the jaw, but it would have to be a really good kick, I don't think I could do it. Fortunately, dogs and I get along, I'm a dog lover, they sense it, I don't have a problem with dogs.

2. First Action

First Action Orange Belt

There are a few schools of thought here. One that I know works is, is you're going to run is climb a tree and/or turn sharp corners - dogs cant turn very sharply.

My first thought would be to pick up a big stick.

Ive heard about people letting the dog bite their forearm then placing the other hand behind neck and snapping the dogs neck - I doubt if this works but letting it bite your forearm is better than your neck.

Another one I've heard is spreading their front legs apart to break their ribs - Ive not tried this either but is somewhat plausable.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Contributed by[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jeevan Lim-Nunez[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Owner and course creator of First Action Self Defence and Survival Courses[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]www.firstaction.com.au[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]More free Self Defence related articles, tips and techniques can be found at[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]www.freeselfdefencetips.com [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Survival related tips can be found at www.freesurvivaltactics.com[/FONT]

3. BLACK LION

BLACK LION Black Belt

Dogs without tails cannot corner as sharp as a dog with a tail... dobermans for instance are rather quite useless when it comes to swimming and cornering without thier tails... I have a King doberman with both ears and tail and the difference in performance is night and day... the tail acts as a counterweight and can be used to alloe the dog to perform many things that one without a tail seems to be useless at... I watched my dog spiral completely around a telephone pole to catch a squirrel and swim for 25vminute straight in a pond trying to catch a duck...

The neck break can work if the dogs jaw is secure and they dont turn thier head and release thier bite...

4. astrobiologist

astrobiologist Brown Belt

I hail from the school of thought that a good kick in the stomach will be enough to slow a dog's attack so that you can then choose to defend or retreat. Honestly, I think one of the biggest problems people experience with dogs is they let their fear show. Dogs sense gesturing and anxiety.

I've only been attacked by a dog once, when I was younger. I was terrified and the dog bit me. I have two permanent scars on my right hand (defensive wounds?). Luckily it ended at that.

If a dog runs up on me now, I stand my ground and maintain my composure. I let the dog know that I'm in charge. I avoid too much direct eye contact, but I also don't avert my eyes. I also will not lower my face or throat towards an unknown dog.123