self defense against a dog

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, sometimes a good strong NO! is workable... until the dog figures out that YOU are NOT his master and resumes his attack. I've tried it several times and found that it doesn't necessarily always work. :idunno:

I have also used the word, No, bad dog on several occasions and it has been very successful.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If all else fails and the attack goes on with you getting hurt you just do what it takes. Once you are recovered, you go back with a softball bat andstraighten the dog out. Had to do this with a rott. that attacked my sister and a woman from our town. Nobody had the guts to confront the owner or to press the issue to the powers that be. But at 15, I was full of hormones and did not care what the owner was goign to do to me. Problem solved.

I would like to see what a taser would do to a dog on the attack.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a story on Surefire.com about how a person repelled a hyena by shining a tactical light in its eyes.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
How? You stay away from where they hang out. If one approaches you, say get away from me. Never get into a relationship with them, no matter how cute they are.

This could also work against the 4 legged kind too.-- lol!

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If all else fails and the attack goes on with you getting hurt you just do what it takes. Once you are recovered, you go back with a softball bat andstraighten the dog out.

Almost. You straighten the owner out. My family has bred and trained dogs for three generations, and I feel confident in saying that if a dog is aggressive, violent and out of control, the owner is 100% at fault. In the very worst cases, the owner should be aware that his dog is likely to attack, and keep it under control.

The dog didn't choose to be the way it is, and punishing it for being the way it's owner made it is hardly fair.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How? You stay away from where they hang out. If one approaches you, say get away from me. Never get into a relationship with them, no matter how cute they are.

This could also work against the 4 legged kind too.-- lol!

:lfao: :lfao:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Almost. You straighten the owner out. My family has bred and trained dogs for three generations, and I feel confident in saying that if a dog is aggressive, violent and out of control, the owner is 100% at fault. In the very worst cases, the owner should be aware that his dog is likely to attack, and keep it under control.

The dog didn't choose to be the way it is, and punishing it for being the way it's owner made it is hardly fair.

I agree with you! The bat would have been better used on the owner. The dog would not have known why it was being attacked. :(

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adept has a good point. You are less likely to get jailed if you kill the owner than if you killed the dog. Stinking animal right groups would have a field day trying to make you rot in jail.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, sometimes a good strong NO! is workable... until the dog figures out that YOU are NOT his master and resumes his attack. I've tried it several times and found that it doesn't necessarily always work. :idunno:

You don't yell, "no!" "No" is overused command in the dog world anyways, because it doesn't tell the dog "what" to do. And your right, they aren't as likely to listen to that for a number of reasons I don't feel like spending paragraphs posting to explain. Same with "Bad dog" or something similar; it doesn't really tell the dog what it needs to do. So, You yell "Go home!" or "Get" or "Get out of here" or something to that effect. Garaunteed to work most of the time.

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
(please keep in mind I'm a smart aaaa-um lick)
Oh no! I can't beleive you would do that to a DOG. Please spare the dog, it's only your face.:angel:

Cyber Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
Get yourself a nice Kusarifundo!! Smack the dog on the head with it.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Get yourself a nice Kusarifundo!! Smack the dog on the head with it.

Brings to mind a story I read in the local newspaper many years ago. A police officer came home after a night of drinking and when he went into his house his landlady's dog latched on to his leg. He pulled his weapon and proceeded to shoot himself in the leg....twice. The dog was scared but unharmed.

Jesse M.

White Belt
Reaction score
Last year I found my leg in the grasp of a dog’s mouth, I can tell you it is not fun. What I can say is that it rushed up on me so quickly there was nothing I could do to protect myself from its bite. What did work and work well, to get him off of me, is that I punched it three of four times right in the top of its snout. It yelped and took off. I left in a hurry too. I went to the hospitable right away and luckily the bite was not too bad and didn’t need any stitches. It wasn’t a wild dog so I also didn’t need any rabies shots. I can say, I think dogs move too fast. There is little you can do to protect yourself from their bite when they are coming right at you.

Neal

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Some thoughts:
The original poster never stated what specific aggressive actions the dog took toward themselves (straining at the leash in his direction while barking?)

With all due respect, the original poster seems somewhat nervous/fearful around big dogs.

Here is some top level French Ring training (yes the French are among the top dog trainers in the world, along with Belgium, Germany and Holland)

My training experiences are mostly French influenced combined with good old urban police K9 work.

Most of the time, if someone here is going to get bit by one of these expertly trained/deployed dogs in this video, chances are you are doing something illegal.

This is not directed at any decent honest folks on here being intimidated by thug dogs, please forgive me but..........

Any evil doers trolling for post graduate credits on how to defeat decent folks security, please see the link below. These dogs come in usually about 25-30mph. They avg 80 lbs and are bred to enjoy the fight. These dogs are naturally social when not threatened. They are carefully selected from generations of working dogs. Once a dog like this is sent to bite you, your going to get bit. Many of these dogs bite so hard, most folks will go into shock as the dogs clamp down on your inner thigh/groin and crunch down and thrash like a shark.
We train them to "punch and crunch"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrgzh_video0002

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cool. Where do you train french ring?

I train more or less for hobby and focus on SAR; but we train shutzhund as well to balance the dog out (with a really good training group; the head trainer has been to Worlds 11 times, and I believe won 7 of those times), as well as with some K-9. I would like to try French Ring but there are no good groups for it near me that I know of.

Neal

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Where do you train french ring?

Live in NJ, train in NJ, CT and Maine with friends. My dog and I were 1998 FRII National Champions, Chicago, IL.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where do you train french ring?

Live in NJ, train in NJ, CT and Maine with friends. My dog and I were 1998 FRII National Champions, Chicago, IL.

Yea, that is pretty cool. You train shepards?

It is hard to find good solid training groups; there is virtually nothing strong or consistant for FR here in Michigan that I know of. I feel very fortunate to have the contacts I do have for SH and SAR, because they can be hard to come by...

Neal

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yea, that is pretty cool. You train shepards?

I've worked plenty of GSD (German shep dog). The working service GSD numbers are in decline (except Schutzhund USA) Majority of Ring dogs are Malinois and the Military and many LE agencies are now utilizing the malinois in much greater numbers.
I also specialize in Bull breeds. I was the first one ever to title an American Bulldog in French Ring sport. I love the working American Bulldog because its an indigenous working dog of the United States where the GSD and malinois are European herders in origin.
Ultimately the breed is less important then how well can the dog do the work asked of him.