Richard J. Van Donk

Shidoshi0153

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have personally used some of Van Donk's videos to get ideas or for a little inspiration during some "creative blocks" in my training. I would assume the benefit depends on how you learn best and where you are in your training. One thing I can say, there is no such thing as too much information.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've seen the video "Combat Ninjutsu" by Van Donk. Basically, what he's demonstrating there is all the stuff I do when I can't think of anything else.

midnightfox00

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What town do you live in...I think I've met or trained with all the instructors of those dojo in Illinois....

I might be able to help you out.

I would greatly appreciate any help you are willing to give...I have still be unable to find any dojo's or trainers in a 40 mile radius of my town...please contact me via email or through this page if you get any results. Thank you.

Josh D

White Belt
Reaction score
Welll 40 miles is better than the 300miles that was originally stated.. I drive about 40 miles to my dojo twice a week... Guess it comes down to how bad you want to train.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would greatly appreciate any help you are willing to give...I have still be unable to find any dojo's or trainers in a 40 mile radius of my town...please contact me via email or through this page if you get any results. Thank you.

Wow. Danville....that's out there.....

Seems to me that 40 miles is pretty good for living in a smaller community.

I drove at least that for a few years.

I would check out whoever is 40 miles away - also, I would email all the shidoshi that have websites in Illinois and Indiana and see if they can direct you to someone closer but not listed.

You may find that one of their current students happens to live close to you and wouldn't mind splitting gas or getting in some extra training.

Forget tapes...You can copy all the form you want, but it ain't the container that matters. IMHO

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have seen his videos and enjoy them. There are countless different ways to learn. As stated there is only ONE way to get Godan if you pass and Hatsumi Sensi is happy with your skill then I would say there you go. On his web page he lists some people who have passed that test under him so I would say his way might not be your way but seems to be working for some.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw a copy of the Shodan tape of his at a friends, eh it is OK. I am not thrilled at the idea of spending a good dollar to buy it. It is a tad literal on some moves, the multiple attacker stuff wasn't really what I'd think would be all that good.
However, for a practce tape fine. He is very well spoken and gets the ideas across very well. RVD is a nice guy as well, in person even more so.

As a side I also borrowed a very old copy of the Ashida Kims Kata Dante, LOLOLOLOL. Man I wet myself, it is so enjoyable to watch. It is so odd that he takes himself seriously. Nice intro with the trenchcoat sillohette and the Rolling stones in the background hahaha.

Watch it seriously, it will relieve stress.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
bujingodai you need to get some clips up on youtube so we can all enjoy I have heard it was a great laugh.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you cute&paste this from? I've read it before.

Found it. Post #10 on this thread:
http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.php?t=814

Why are you cutting & pasting from someone else's posts?

I wasn't at all aware of the other post-it's exactly what I heard elsewhere, though-and I'm not going to name the source-I'll just say that it's more than reliable, as far as I'm concerned, and add that it came to me as part of a direct inquiry about RVD's claim of succession on my part-one that he chose not to answer, and numerous other people did-though some did say that Richard Tenio was the legitimate heir as well. I don't have a dog in either fight, I'm just sharing what I've heard, and what I've observed-what I've observed supports what I've heard, in that RVD moves like no competent de Cuerdas person I've ever seen, at least not on his tapes-nor does he bear any resemblance to any of the other traditions that claim lineage from de Cuerdas. he does appear to be reasonably competent in "something Fillipinoish," but that's about it, IMNSHO.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ADMIN NOTE:

THREAD LOCKED PENDING REVIEW AND ACTION. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Assist. Administrator

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin Note to all users:

Please become familiar with the RTM feature - the small red-bordered triangle with the
! in the middle of it. This generates a report in the staff area whereupon we take necessary action. PLEASE ALLOW THE STAFF TO DO OUR JOB IN THESE CASES! MartialTalk does have a sniping/personal attack policy and a fraud-busting policy - specifically that we don't do it here.

This thread is reopened provided the discussion returns to the original topic and all personal attacks end.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Assist. Administrator

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Admin Note to all users:

This thread is reopened provided the discussion returns to the original topic and all personal attacks end.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Assist. Administrator

since so much was imput was given on mr. hayes i was wondering what are your thoughts about "RVD"?

I’ll admit; I acquired a set of his ninjutsu black belt course some time ago. I know nothing of the man personally-I’ve mostly only heard good things about his taijutsu-at least, the worst I’ve ever heard is “okay.” The tapes themselves are okay as a memory jogger, or training aid, as some have already said-in terms of quality, I think both his movement and instructions suffer since he does them himself in real time. I’m not saying that this is always a bad thing-many instructional materials have the instructor performing movements while explaining them-but I think the quality of RVD’s materials would probably have been enhanced by his doing the instructions as a voice-over, and concentrating on his movements for the taping, Both seem to suffer from his filming them the way he did, and ,the materials are notprobably not demonstrative of his skill level either. and as much could be true for his de Cuerdas materials as well…..

The idea of attaining skill of substance worthy of rank entirely from video instruction, is, of course, absurd and somewhat insulting....but I'm sure it serves some who for one reason or another lack the ability or desire to train properly, face-to-face with an instructor.

Enson said:
i have seen his add on every black belt magazine and was wondering what his skill level is and if he is everything he claims to be?

Again, I don’t know anything about his skill level, or what he claims to be. However, I have heard from a few of those in the know in reference to his claims in reference to de Cuerdas that he is not all he claims to be, though I don't see how that matters.

I think it's probably more of a case of something like what's happened to American Kenpo, or Modern Arnis, or even Kyokushin karate when their repsective founders died without leaving a clear-cut (or, in some cases, acceptable) successor-people jumped in to fill the void. There was no clear-cut successor to Gilbert Tenio, and some people jumped in, for whatever reason, to fill the void.

What do I know, though…..:confused:

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
On the comment as far as first person talking, I've seen it work rather well. I think, though, I like the approach of Stephen K. Hayes, (not referring to his art in general, but his DvD material), because he doesn't directly address the audience, but addresses the students in the video. It serves to allow them to practice it, and observe them after he's shown them, and lets him get feed back or correct the mistakes that us at home are probably doing likewise, with those on the video.

I own the entire RVD Black Belt home study course, and I personally do enjoy it. It's very informative, and Shihan Van Donk's message is always positive and light in heart.

As far as learning by DvD, I believe it can be an assistance, but not primary. See, not all who use DvD CHOOSE to because they don't want to be with an instructor. I travel 4 hours and 11 minutes a month to make sure I get live training, and our organization encourages it greatly. Mr. Hayes provides as many opportunities possible to train, as does Mr. Van Donk. I am still subscribed to Shihan RVD's catalog, and try and keep up with upcoming events. Even with all the bad politics, I can't help but appreciate the knowledge and maturity of great teachers like him.

-Scott

midnightfox00

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
On the comment as far as first person talking, I've seen it work rather well. I think, though, I like the approach of Stephen K. Hayes, (not referring to his art in general, but his DvD material), because he doesn't directly address the audience, but addresses the students in the video. It serves to allow them to practice it, and observe them after he's shown them, and lets him get feed back or correct the mistakes that us at home are probably doing likewise, with those on the video.

I own the entire RVD Black Belt home study course, and I personally do enjoy it. It's very informative, and Shihan Van Donk's message is always positive and light in heart.

As far as learning by DvD, I believe it can be an assistance, but not primary. See, not all who use DvD CHOOSE to because they don't want to be with an instructor. I travel 4 hours and 11 minutes a month to make sure I get live training, and our organization encourages it greatly. Mr. Hayes provides as many opportunities possible to train, as does Mr. Van Donk. I am still subscribed to Shihan RVD's catalog, and try and keep up with upcoming events. Even with all the bad politics, I can't help but appreciate the knowledge and maturity of great teachers like him.

-Scott

Yes, I choose too...because my wife and children need me, before I need training. In my opinion it is not a necessity...not THAT large of one, where I would have to completely and utterly inconvience myself and leave my family just for something that will only benefit myself.

In my personal opinion no one has really helped much on this site. I do not quite understand how MOST of you can actually be martial artists...if in fact, that is what you are. It seems that arrogance is some of your best qualities...everyone has to know everything...remembering what assuming does okay?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I choose too...because my wife and children need me, before I need training. In my opinion it is not a necessity...not THAT large of one, where I would have to completely and utterly inconvience myself and leave my family just for something that will only benefit myself.

In my personal opinion no one has really helped much on this site. I do not quite understand how MOST of you can actually be martial artists...if in fact, that is what you are. It seems that arrogance is some of your best qualities...everyone has to know everything...remembering what assuming does okay?

Admin Note:

This was a particularly hot thread which was even shut down temporarily. The majority of people on MartialTalk are not rude nor snippish. We hope you entertain looking around to find other converstations which may address your specific questions in a manner more favorable to the demeanor you expect.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Assist. Administrator

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was considering his videos just for reference but I'm not going to pay the hefty fee especially now since I know there is a school in my area where I can learn, and that is better than any video I can order.

Latest Discussions