richard van donk

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.ninjutsu.com/home.shtml

I know very little to nothing about ninjutsu :uhyeah:

So basically I was wondering what you guys thought of Richard Donk, his videos, his training, and him in general.

All I know about him come from his ads in Black Belt magazine...For x amount of dollars you get his dvd's , instruction manual. black belt and certificate all in one shot..

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have met Richard at a Tai Kai and he was nice in person to me. Cannot really comment on training with him as I was working out with other people. Train at home DVD's are not something that I will ever personally recommend as I believe that everyone truly needs a teacher in front of them to correct their mistakes. Still his site does carry Hatsumi Sensei's DVD's and he does have good customer service.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Having been someone that has trained with him and has also owned his vids in the past (a wicked Kunoichi stole them from me! ^_^ ), he's very good. I will agree with Brian, though, learning an art purely from video with no foundation of actual hands-on training or the feedback one gets from having an instructor present is for the birds. I would recommend that vids be supplementary only.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wife trained with him when he was teaching at UC Santa Cruz. Her experience with him was pretty negative. He may be good at what he does, but she found him to be fairly offensive as a person.

I don't want to sit and trash him publically, this was just her experience and I am sure many people have had entirely different experiences with him. If you want to know more, I would be willing to discuss it privately with you.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll just say there are many seniors in the Bujinkan who I would rather train with.

OP
bigfootsquatch

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'll just say there are many seniors in the Bujinkan who I would rather train with.

Could you please expand on why you would just say that and possibly recommend some of the seniors and/or seminars that I could attend. I know very little about ninjutsu, other than watch out for Ashida Kim
icon12.gif

OP
bigfootsquatch

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To the person who neg repped me,
I did use the search function and read the old thread before I posted, but if I want new opinions then I'm going to ask. If you dont like it then dont read it, my e-warrior friend.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-466.html
the old thread about his home study program(of which i was not asking about) I asked about his videos in general.

OP
bigfootsquatch

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bill Atkins, Kevin Millis, Ed Martin, Dale Seago. Where do you live?

Hi, I live in Northeast Louisiana, Bastrop(near Monroe or about 2 hours east of Shreveport.

Thanks for the recomendations!

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I live in Northeast Louisiana, Bastrop(near Monroe or about 2 hours east of Shreveport.

Thanks for the recomendations!

There are some good guys in Dallas, & I only know of one in Little Rock. Man, you are out in BFE, if you don't mind me saying. Though, it's good eats down 'round there. Love the boudin & the mudbugs. I used to live in Houston. I'd have loved to be down there a week ago, could have picked up a turducken.

Check Winjutsu.com. Yes, winjutsu. Go to the Yellow Pages.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could you please expand on why you would just say that and possibly recommend some of the seniors and/or seminars that I could attend. I know very little about ninjutsu, other than watch out for Ashida Kim
icon12.gif
To be perfectly honest, his taijutsu doesn't impress me, and every time I've spoken to him, I've been half expecting him to offer me a great deal on a preowned vehicle.

I don't know of anyone in your area. I can only second DJ's recommendation below:

Check Winjutsu.com. Yes, winjutsu. Go to the Yellow Pages.

OP
bigfootsquatch

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it seems it will be about a 4 hour drive (one way) to the closest Bujinkan school for me :erg:. I guess I'll take up the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu about 30 miles away instead! Thanks again for the advice guys.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it seems it will be about a 4 hour drive (one way) to the closest Bujinkan school for me :erg:. I guess I'll take up the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu about 30 miles away instead! Thanks again for the advice guys.

There are often small training groups that are under the radar. Contact some of the guys close to you, they may know of some.

Latest Discussions