Home Study Ninjitsu Courses.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I notice that both http://www.ninjutsu.com and http://www.ninjitsu.com offer home study courses in ninjitsu. The latter seems to be a newly created art but the former, offered by Richard J. Van Donk (10th degree in something and 12th degree equivalent in Bujinkan, apparently), appears to be a course leading to up to 4th degree black belt that the web site gives every appearance of being authorized by Grandmaster Masaaki Hatsumi.

Is it the case that Mr. Hatsumi (I seem to recall that perhaps it's Dr. Hatsumi?) has authorized a home study course in ninjutsu, or is Mr. Van Donk acting on his own? I'm also a bit confused by his ranking--I gather he interprets his menkyo license as being the equivalent of a 12th degree, but then I am unsure what he is 10th degree in and am a bit surprised that such a high-ranking individual isn't e.g. a Hanshi (above the Shihan he claims).

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Howdy arnisador,

Ninjitsu.com is run by Rick Tew, a former student of Frank Dux (of the Bloodsport fairytale).

Ninjutsu.com is run by Richard Van Donk, who I believe is a 12th Dan now in the Bujinkan. He is definately doing his own thing with the 'grade-by-video' bit. And as far as I'm aware, it is NOT supported by Hatsumi sensei, yet the personal discussions that they have had between them I couldn't really comment about.

Mr. Van Donk seems to love titles. Many of which I have strong disagreements as to the way he uses them (or having the right to do so).

He is not above "Shihan".

*ahem* (From the Rules of the Bujinkan)

Ranks from 11th dan through 15th dan of the "Man" level will be divided into 5 levels: Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, and Void, and will be the highest ranks in Bujinkan Dojo Happo Biken. The 5th dan examination is of a spiritual nature and is something which is done by Soke. A 15th dan will be considered to be a true shihan.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay Bell
Ninjitsu.com is run by Rick Tew, a former student of Frank Dux (of the Bloodsport fairytale).

Ah. I was not aware of this but I was certainly suspicious.

Ninjutsu.com is run by Richard Van Donk, who I believe is a 12th Dan now in the Bujinkan. He is definately doing his own thing with the 'grade-by-video' bit. And as far as I'm aware, it is NOT supported by Hatsumi sensei, yet the personal discussions that they have had between them I couldn't really comment about.

I understand. It surprised me because I understood that Mr. Hatsumi was as conservative as those associated with most koryu arts in this regard.

Ranks from 11th dan through 15th dan of the "Man" level will be divided into 5 levels: Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, and Void, and will be the highest ranks in Bujinkan Dojo Happo Biken. The 5th dan examination is of a spiritual nature and is something which is done by Soke. A 15th dan will be considered to be a true shihan. [/B]

Interesting. I had not realized the ranking system went so high. Since you've once again piqued my curiosity: Is 15th dan the highest then and is Mr. Hatsumi the sole 15th dan? Did Mr. Hatsumi initiate the dan/kyu system for this art or did his predecessor (since it must be a post-Kano addition)?

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heya arnisador,

I understand. It surprised me because I understood that Mr. Hatsumi was as conservative as those associated with most koryu arts in this regard.

OOOOH boy...Hatsumi sensei is FAR from conservative. :D He is definately one of the most eccentric people I've ever experianced.

Interesting. I had not realized the ranking system went so high. Since you've once again piqued my curiosity: Is 15th dan the highest then and is Mr. Hatsumi the sole 15th dan? Did Mr. Hatsumi initiate the dan/kyu system for this art or did his predecessor (since it must be a post-Kano addition)?

Sensei is Soke. There are currently no 15th Dan in the Bujinkan (unless Hatsumi sensei is sneaking one around :D) As far as I understand, Hatsumi sensei created the kyu/dan setup for Budo Taijutsu.

Sorry I can't be more clear...I just honestly am un-sure

Have a good one,

Jay

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay Bell

shoot me.

I think if you take the course you'll learn how to be impervious to bullets.

Home study martial arts courses are popping up everywhere. The reasoning seems to be "If colleges can do it why not martial arts?" Of course colleges are built around an ancient form of distance education--READING BOOKS--whereas martial arts are not. I think it's a crock, but it sure seems to be here to stay. Wait until we have lots of schools opened up by the products of these nouveau black belts.

S

Shinzu

i have seen this home study course in many magazines. i personally would not buy into it. unless you have a qualified teacher there with you how can you be sure you are doing it correctly.

the whole video grading thing sounds a bit shady also. i have always wanted to learn this art, but i would not buy the videos to do so.

C

Chiduce

Check out Rick Tews Total Warrior.com and you be the judge! Be sure to click on the RTMS Videos and the Home Study Program Videos. http://totalwarrior.com Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Van Donk is an impressive practitioner in person, nice guy too. The tape thing I think is fine as a reference or brush up work but not primary learning.
I have heard some talk of how dramatic VD is, not to forget Hatsumi Sensei is an actor himself.
Now I happen to think Tew Ryu is pretty cool, I would love to do what they do. maybe loosley based on Ninpo. I don't see too much of it there. But if they are having fun the who cares. I'm impressed. Mind you I think the same can be said for Bussey. Hard core's will tell you he is BS, I am very intrigued by what I saw. I imagine the training he received was decent enough, considering to Yondan it was Hatsumi, unless I am wrong.
I don't tend to run down the indepedents, I train with anyone I can. I 'll learn something from everyone.
Just my opinion.

B

Blacktiger2186

Hatsumi does have Some 15th dans in the bujinkan.one of them has been with them hatsumi since his early days when he was with takamatsu.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Blacktiger2186

Hatsumi does have Some 15th dans in the bujinkan.one of them has been with them hatsumi since his early days when he was with takamatsu.

What is your source for this information? As much as is public, 14th dan is the highest grade achieved so far.

B

Blacktiger2186

My source is a very close friend of mine who was an old instuctor of mine also. he is a 6th dan in bujinkan. i have other resourses to find out infomation.
Paul

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod Note:
Please confine all "for sale" postings to the advertizing forums.

Ad post that was here has been spun off to its own thread in the "Pro Shop" forum.

Thank you.
:asian:

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are no 15th Dans in the Bujinkan, your info is just plain false. For one point the Bujinkan did not exist when Hatsumi was training with Takamatsu secondly who in the Kan was training with Takamatsu with Hatsumi? Some would say Tanemuera (sp) However he is Genbukan other than that your information is incorrect, who is the 6th Dan? I know there may be some 14th Dans. Jack Hoban being one of them unless he is 13th I could be mistaken. Jay what is he?

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure however how many 14th dans exist. I had read another post somewhere else, it seemed there were many Europeans with the rank. How many are there worldwide?

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea. There's a thread on Kutaki about how many 14th Dans made it to the Tai Kai over there this year. Some people that acheive high rank view it as a very personal thing, so there's honestly no real way of knowing.

Latest Discussions